IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Supreme Personality of Godhead - meaning

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi,

I'm not part of ISKCON but a different sampraday. A lot of people who are part of ISKCON describe Shri Krsna as 'Supreme Personality of Godhead'. I'm not sure what this actually means. Could someone from here explain what is meant by this.

Ragudas

that's a superficially very simple question to answer but in actuality is very difficult :) there are so many layers to this that i can think of, none of which matter really coz Love is the key, but anyway i suppose we should make a start somewhere......

means that Krsna is Bhagavan:

Supreme: no one is above Him

Personality: He is a personal being - i.e. He has form and name.

Guest guest

that's a superficially very simple question to answer but in actuality is very difficult :) there are so many layers to this that i can think of, none of which matter really coz Love is the key, but anyway i suppose we should make a start somewhere......

means that Krsna is Bhagavan:

Supreme: no one is above Him

Personality: He is a personal being - i.e. He has form and name.

...why not just "God"...why Godhead ...it implies that there is more thane one being in Godhead & the supream is ... I agree it is a difficult q !

Hi,

I'm not part of ISKCON but a different sampraday. A lot of people who are part of ISKCON describe Shri Krsna as 'Supreme Personality of Godhead'. I'm not sure what this actually means. Could someone from here explain what is meant by this.

Ragudas

Take a read http://vedabase.net/sb/12/2/17/en

use links to define each word as you like.

Google up the ideas mentioned.

Internet is a link to the works of generations.

Enjoy

Sri Krsna, Lord Balarama, Lord Nrsimhadeva, Lord Kurma, Srila Vyasadeva, Srimati Radharani, so many expansions and incarnations who expand from the primal Lord Govinda comprise the one God, Sri Krsna. With Them are the unlimited internal and external energies of Krsna, the spiritual worlds and the most intimate Goloka. Further parts of God's unlimited nature are His clothes, His flute, helmets, earrings and so on. Such is the unfathomable nature of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, unlimited in pastimes and qualities, yet still one Supreme Entity.

To say God is Krsna is of course true, but He is so much more - and that is all Him.

I think that Srila Prabhupada may have adopted the expression

"Supreme Personality of Godhead" to emphasize to outsiders that the Vedas are monotheistic, since most of the uneducated world still tells each other lies about the Hindus and their millions of Gods and sacred cows.

http://vedabase.net/bs/5/1/en

http://vedabase.net/sb/1/3/28/en

actually srila prabhupada explains this nicely many times in his books , classes , lectures, etc ....sri krsna is the only person who is Bhagavan, full in six aspects...attraction, power, wealth, strength, beauty, etc...no person other than sri krsna is all-powerful, all-beautiful, all-attractive, all-everything, full in everything...when you find such a person then you will surely have met the Supreme Personality of Godhead....also...the 3 aspects of the supreme personality of godhead include the brahmajyoti into which the yogi wishes to merge, krsna's effulgence, the impersonal aspect appreciated/worshipped by the mayavadi and sri krsna himself, bhagavan, the supreme personality of godhead...i have always found the description of god as the Supreme Personality of Godhead as very beautiful and the be-all end-all of what the highest meaning of god, the creator, the most high signifies....before i found krsna consciousness, i was at a great loss as to any aspect of godhead what to speak of the aspect known as the Supreme Personality of Godhead....biblical aphorisms just didnt contain nearly as much significance or description of the godhead.....jaya srila prabhupada...thank you for saving the world from the nescience of darkness and ignorance.....

hare krsna

respectfully

arjuna dasa