IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

parshuram and ravan

Rate this topic

Guest guest

i know that parshuram was a great shishya of lord shiva, and ravan was a

great devotee of lord shiva....

i have have also heard they were very good friends .....

i would like to know how the friend was forged between them....and how

is broke...

does anyone know the story??

Guest guest

dear kc3377,

parasurama is another form of lord rama,rama and ravana are enemies,then how can parasurama be afriend of ravana.

-

kc3377

om_namah_shivay

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 11:12 AM

parshuram and ravan

i know that parshuram was a great shishya of lord shiva, and ravan was a

great devotee of lord shiva....

i have have also heard they were very good friends .....

i would like to know how the friend was forged between them....and how

is broke...

does anyone know the story??

This electronic message transmission contains information from Bharat Heavy

Electricals Limited, Power Sector - Western Region & is confidential or privileged.

The information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity named

above. If you are not the intended recipient, beware that any disclosure, copy

distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have

received the electronic transmission in error please notify us immediately.

Guest guest

Hello,

This is more of a story I have heard from my grandparents. I am a Bhargava hence Parshurama is quite loved amongst my family and kins.

The land of Kathiawar/Saurashtra was ruled by Sahasrarjun. My great grand uncle K.M. Munshi in his book Bhagwan Parshurama points out that this particular king was called Sahasra:- meaning 1000 Arjuns because he had a navy of thousand battle ships. This more or less explains how he was able to capture Ravana who was a king of an Island called Lanka.

Sahasraarjun had captured Ravana in a battle and Parshurama at directions of Mahadeva helped Ravana escape the prison. However Ravana refused to escape like a coward and asked Parshurama to help him fight the soldiers who had held him captive. They fought the soldiers holding the fort and left the place in dignity.

Sahasraarjun later did kill Jamadagni, Parshuramas father and hence the act by Parshurama of disciplining then oppressant Kshatriyas some 20 odd times.

This is how Ravana was obliged by Parshurama and befriended him.

Hope you find the mythological extract interesting. If so; do try and grab Bhagwan Parshurama which is a Bharti Vidya Bhavan publication and is available in English. It interestingly has a very amazing stories of Vishwamitra's (Parshurama' maternal uncle) conflict with Vashishta regarding the defination of Arya (Aryan as in modern per se) and the amalgamation of Arya Dravid culture. I am sure you will find a very different perspective to lot of Indian mythology and a deeper insite into the present cultural similarities between the north and the south.

Also recommended reading would be Krshnaavtar again by Kulapati K.M. Munshi.

Regards,

Jay

Sponsored Link

Mortgage rates near historic lows: $150,000 loan as low as $579/mo. Intro-*Terms

Ravan came of descendant of Sage Pulasthiay also son of viwarasu. He is brahmin. Parsurama is defender of brahmins. So, intelligent Ravana make friendship with parasurama when he come to know about parsurama who is invinciable. Ravana never refute ravana's friendship due to he is brahmin .

But, it is suprise that their relationship not registered any ithas and puranas eventhough both are big personalities.