IndiaDivine.org

chips on ekadasi?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi! Its Ramaa Ekadashi today. i'm at work and waiting till noon to eat. is it ok to eat chips- from potatoes- on ekadasi?

i wasn't sure as i don't know if chips, aka french fries, actually contain grains or not?

please will the nice devotees give feedback. ps. those who completely fast on ekdasi are amazing- i admire you immensely. i've been fantacising abour food these last couple of hours. i am such a slave to my senses.

Potato is fine. Chips (fries) are fine. But not from restaurant. Restaurants add some stuff to the fries, plus they usually fry it in corn or soy based oils, often in the same oil or grease that meat has been fried in. So, if you can make your fries at home beforehand, preferably with either ghee or peanut oil, that is best. Myself, I usually make baked potato with cream cheese, although sometimes I fry for a change of pace.

Today is Rama ekadashi. Yesternight, at around 10, I took dinner. After than till now I haven't eaten anything at all - not even a single grain. Also, I haven't taken a drop of water. I will break fast tomorrow morning. I checked the timings. As per Vedic calendal, I can break fast tomorrow morning between 7:10 AM and 10:07 AM.

So, I will break fast only at that time.

I am not finding any difficulty in keeping the fasting and carrying on my work as usual.

dont think there are any cooking oils that are not based on grain/nuts are there.

the nicest chips ive had have been large ones that have been par boiled first.

long ago i used to try fasts for upto a week sometime,felt great but theres a science to it ,can be dangerous if you eat too much after finishing a long one,if I do it in future i will stick to the Ekadashi type.

dont think there are any cooking oils that are not based on grain/nuts are there.

the nicest chips ive had have been large ones that have been par boiled first.

long ago i used to try fasts for upto a week sometime,felt great but theres a science to it ,can be dangerous if you eat too much after finishing a long one,if I do it in future i will stick to the Ekadashi type.

We should all fasts, if incapable of fasting then eating falahaar is fine. Note that this means fruit only. But if this is still cannot be done then the last option is foodstuffs without grain such as potatoes and Rajgiri stuff like this. But never should we eat from outside (such as eating from a restraunt or takeaway). We do not know how it is prepared and even if we do,its not prepared in a SAtvik manner by Satvik people. As really we should be controlling our senses and eating Ekadashi foods made from those carrying out the fast as well. We shouldnt eat from take aways etc anyway. This is not Satvik. So no Vaisnav should.