IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
suchandra

India’s Shame

Rate this topic

While the world community of Vaishnavas considers it as important to split into more and more competing fractions, Kali-yuga has an easy game to spread out like epidemic in the land of religion, INDIA.

Of course, same with India's cow-slaughter world championship - Hindus blame the 300 million Muslim Societies to be the actual demoniac force within the country. Any suggestions if the Muslims really behave like that kind of vermin - low-class kali-chelas - wherever they proliferate in such huge numbers:

India: Child abuse cases report

There are approximately 2 million child commercial sex workers between the age of 5 and 15 years and about 3.3 million between 15 and 18 years They form 40% of the total population of commercial sex workers in India 80% of these are found in the 5 metros 71% of them are illiterate 500,000 children are forced into this trade every year

Source : www.cry.org

* Prostitution is widespread, with an estimated 2.3 million prostitutes in the country, some 575,000 of whom are children. (US Dept of State, Human Rights Report, 1999)

* According to ILO estimates, 15% of the country's estimated 2.3 million prostitutes are children. (US Dept of State, Human Rights Report, 1999)

* Recent studies indicate that of the estimated 9,000,000 prostitutes working in India, some 30% or 2,700,000 are children. A further 10% reported that they had started their 'career' in prostitution before they were 18 years of age. A large number of these children are trafficked from Bangladesh, Pakistan and Nepal. (ECPAT International, A Step Forward, 1999)

* One quarter of prostitutes are minors. (CATW 1999)

* 25-30% of prostitutes are children. An estimated number of child prostitutes is 400,000. (ILO-IPEC, Mainstreaming Gender in IPEC Activities, 1999)

* There is a growing pattern of trafficking in child prostitutes from Nepal. According to one estimate, 5,000 to 7,000 children, mostly between the ages of 10 and 18, are drawn into this traffic annually. NGOs in the region estimate that some 6,000 to 10,000 girls are trafficked annually from Nepal to Indian brothels and a similar number are trafficked from Bangladesh. (US Dept of State, Human Rights Report, 1999)

* Women's rights organisations and NGOs estimate that more than 12,000 and perhaps as many as 50,000 women and children are trafficked into the country annually from neighbouring states for the sex trade. (US Dept of State, Human Rights Report, 1999)

* 30% of India's 1 million prostitutes are girls below the age of 16 years. (SPARC, The State of Pakistan's Children, 1999, citing "Child Prostitution Increasing in Indo-Pak", The Frontier Post, 25 November 1998)

* A survey by the Central Social Welfare Board of India indicated that the population of Nepalese women and child victims of commercial sexual exploitation in Indian brothels would be between 70,000 to 100,000 of which 30% were below 18 years. (ILO-IPEC, Usha D. Acharya, Country Report: Nepal, October 1998)

* Over 100,000 child prostitutes are estimated to be in India's major cities. (June Kane, Sold for Sex, 1998)

* Over the last decade, 200,000 Bangladeshi girls were lured under false circumstances and sold into the sex industry in nations including Pakistan, India and the Middle East. (CATW Fact Book, citing Tabibul Islam, "Rape of Minors Worry Parents", IPS, 8 April 1998)

* Every year between 5,000 and 7,000 Nepalese girls are trafficked into the red-light districts in Indian cities. Many of the girls are barely 9 or 10 years old. (CATW Fact Book, citing Soma Wadhwa, "For sale childhood', Outlook, 1998)

* 27,000 Bangladeshi women and children have been forced into prostitution in Indian brothels. (CATW Fact Book, citing "Women Forced into Indian Brothels", CWCS, June 1998)

* 200,000 Nepalese girls under 16 years are in prostitution. (Penelope Saunders, "Sexual Trafficking and Forced Prostitution of Children", 29 October 1998)

* 40,000 Nepalese girls under 16 in Indian brothels are forced into prostitution. (Penelope Saunders, "Sexual Trafficking and Forced Prostitution of Children", 29 October 1998)

* 20% of the child prostitutes in India come from Bangladesh and Nepal. (BNWLA, Salma Ali, Country Report on Trafficking in Children and their Exploitation in Prostitution, October 1998, citing a research publication by Dr. K.K. Mukherjee of India)

* 300,000-500,000 children are engaged in prostitution. (CATW Fact Book, citing Rahul Bedi, "Bid to Protect Children as Sex Tourism Spreads", Daily Telegraph (London), 23 August 1997)

* 15% of prostitutes in India are under the age of 18 years. ("Innocence Sacrificed on Tourism Altar", ECPAT Bulletin, October 1996)

* A 1996 survey published in India Today magazine estimated there are between 40,000 and 50,000 child prostitutes in the country, activists now say that figure might have jumped to about 250,000. ("Children For Sale", Asia Week, 1 March 1996)

* Conservative estimates say some 300,000 children are involved in the sex industry. ("Six foreigners charged in India child sex case", The Nation, 18 October 1996, reprinted in ECPAT Bulletin, October 1996)

* Between 2,000 and 5,000 children are sent across the border to India for prostitution every year. (Kota Neelima, "Young sex workers are costly commodity", ECPAT Bulletin, July 1996)

* An estimated 400 sex workers came from Bangladesh every month and about 5,000 came from Nepal every year. (Kota Neelima, "Young sex workers are a costly commodity", ECPAT Bulletin, July 1996, citing Indrani Sinha of SANLAAP India)

* 500,000 girls work as sex workers. (UNICEF, Atlas of South Asian Children and Women, 1996)

* The average age of the Nepalese girls entering an Indian brothel is said to be 10-14 years, some 5,000 to 7,000 of them being trafficked between Nepal and India annually. (UNICEF India, Richard Young, "Understanding Underlying Factors", Child Workers in Asia, January-June 1996)

* Every year 5,000 to 7,000 Nepalese girls are trafficked to India. An estimated 40,000 to 45,000 of these girls are in Bombay brothels and also nearly an equal number of them are in Calcutta. (Lawyers for Human Rights and Legal Action, The Flesh Trade Report, 1995-1996)

* Nepalese social workers estimate the number of Nepalese girls and women working in Indian brothels at about 200,000, and believe that between 5,000 and 7,000 new Nepalese end up in Indian brothels every year. (Human Rights Watch/Asia, Rape and Profit, June 1995)

* There were an estimated 400,000-500,000 child prostitutes in 1991. (Human Rights Watch)

* Half of 100,000 girl prostitutes between 10-14 in Bombay are from Nepal and kept in brothels against their will. (Penelope Saunders, "Sexual Trafficking and Forced Prostitution of Children", 29 October 1998)

* In Bombay, India, at least half of the city's 100,000 prostitutes are believed to be Nepalese girls. (ILO-IPEC, Usha D. Acharya, Country Report: Nepal, October 1998)

* The number of Nepalese girls and women engaged in prostitution in Calcutta exceeds 27,000, in Delhi it is more than 21,000, in Gorakhpur it is 4,700, and in Banaras it is 3,480. (ILO-IPEC, Usha D. Acharya, Country Report: Nepal, October 1998)

* 10,000 Bangladeshi children are in brothels in Bombay and Goa, India. (CATW Fact Book, citing "Human smuggling from Bangladesh at alarming level", Reuters, 26 May 1997, citing Trafficking Watch Bangladesh)

* Approximately 20,000 or 20% of women in prostitution in Bombay are under 18 years of age. (CATW Fact Book, citing Robert I. Freidman, "India's Shame: Sexual Slavery and Political Corruption are Leading to an AIDS Catastrophe", The Nation, 8 April 1996)

* A NGO states that the number of children in flesh trade is increasing by 8-10% every year ("The Young and the Damned", The Week, 4 August 1996, reprinted in ECPAT Bulletin, July 1996)

*10,000-12,000 Bangladeshi children are thought to be employed in the brothels of Bombay and West Bengal. (An Alternative Report to the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child, submission to the UN CRC, 1997, citing UNICEF, The Progress of the Nations, 1995)

* About 45,000 Nepalese girls are in the brothels of Bombay and 40,000 in Calcutta. (CATW Fact Book, citing UBINIG, Trafficking in Women and Children: The Cases of Bangladesh, 1995, citing women's groups in Nepal)

* A report of the Central Advisory Committee on Child Prostitution, published in May 1994 says that 12 to 15% of the prostitutes in Mumbai, Delhi, Madras, Calcutta, Hyderabad and Bangalore are children. It is estimated that 30% of the prostitutes in these cities are aged below 20 and nearly half of them had become commercial sex workers when they were minors. 86% of the prostitutes come from Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, West Bengal, Maharashtra and Uttar Pradesh. Conservative estimates put the number of children in India suffering commercial sex abuse at 300,000. ("The Young and the Damned", The Week, 4 August 1996, reprinted in ECPAT Bulletin, July 1996)

* Dr. I.S. Gilada, General Secretary of the Indian Health Organisation(IHO), estimated in various studies conducted between 1985 and 1994 that there were between 70,000 and 100,000 prostitutes in Bombay, 100,000 in Calcutta, 40,000 in Delhi, 40,000 in Pune, and 13,000 in Nagpur. (Human Rights Watch/Asia, Rape and Profit, June 1995)

* There are over 200,000 Nepalese prostitutes. (ILO-IPEC, Mainstreaming Gender in IPEC Activities, 1999)

* 200,000 to over 250,000 Nepalese women and girls are already in Indian brothels. (CATW Fact Book, citing Soma Wadhwa, "For sale childhood", Outlook, 1998)

* 20%-30% of commercial sex workers in India have been trafficked from Nepal. (World Vision, David Westwood, Child Trafficking in Asia, 1998)

* The Indian Social Welfare Board estimates that there are 500,000 foreign prostitutes in India of which 1% are from Bangladesh. And 2.7% of prostitutes in Calcutta alone are from Bangladesh. (CATW Fact Book, citing CEDAW Report: Bangladesh, 1 April 1997)

* 30,000 Bangladeshi women are in the brothels of Calcutta, India. (CATW Fact Book, citing "Human Smuggling from Bangladesh at alarming level", Reuters, 26 May 1997)

* 2.5% of prostitutes in India are Nepalese, and 2.7% are Bangladeshi. (CATW Fact Book, citing "Devadasi System Continues to Legitimise Prostitution: The Devadasi Tradition and Prostitution", Times of India, 4 December 1997)

* 160,000 Nepalese women are held in India's brothels. (CATW Fact Book, citing SANLAAP India, Indrani Sinha, "Paper on Globalization & Human Rights")

* At least 2,000 women are in prostitution along the Baina beachfront in Goa. (CATW Fact Book, citing Frederick Moronha, India Abroad News Service, 9 August 1997)

* Every day, about 200 girls and women in India enter prostitution, 80% of them against their will. (CATW Fact Book, citing CEDPA and PRIDE, "Devadasi System Continues to Legitimise Prostitution: The Devadasi Tradition and Prostitution", Times of India, 4 December 1997)

* The brothels of India hold between 100,000 and 160,000 Nepalese women and girls. (CATW Fact Book, citing Gustavo Capdevila, IPS, 2 April 1997, citing Radhika Coomaraswamy, UN Special Report on Violence Against Women)

* There are more than 100,000 women in prostitution in Bombay, Asia's largest sex industry centre. (CATW Fact Book, citing Robert I. Freidman, "India's Shame: Sexual Slavery and Political Corruption Are Leading to an AIDS Catastrophe", The Nation, 8 April 1996)

* There are an estimated 50,000 devadasis in the country. (ECPAT Newsletter, No.15, January 1996)

* India, along with Thailand and the Philippines, has 1.3 million children in its sex-trade centres. (CATW Fact Book, citing Soma Wadhwa, "For Sale: Childhood", Outlook, 1998)

* Nepalese social workers estimate that the number of Nepalese girls and women now working in Indian brothels at about 200,000 and believe that between 5,000 and 7,000 new Nepalese end up in Indian brothels every year. (Human Rights Watch/Asia, Rape and Profit, June 1995)

* Nepalese girls as young as 11, 12, 13 years old have been trafficked into India to work as prostitutes. (Will Dunham, "U.S. grapples with 'modern-day slavery'", 1 September 2000, reprinted in Stop Trafficking Archive, September 2000)

* In India, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, and Tamil Nadu are considered "high supply zones" for women in prostitution. Bijapur, Belgaum and Kolhapur are common districts from which women migrate to the big cities, as part of an organised trafficking network. (CATW Fact Book, citing Meena Menon, "Women in India's Trafficking Belt", 30 March 1998, citing the Central Social Welfare Board)

* Human Rights Watch reported that the practice of dedicating or marrying young, pre-pubescent girls to a Hindu deity or temple as servants of god, devadasis, continue in several southern states, including Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka. Devadasis may not marry. They are taken from their families and are required to provide sexual services to priests and high caste Hindus. Reportedly, many eventually are sold to urban brothels. (US Dept of State, Human Rights Report, 1999)

* India is one of the favoured destinations of paedophile sex tourists from Europe and the United States. (CATW Fact Book, citing "Global law to punish sex tourists sought by Britain and EU", The Indian Express, 21 November 1997)

*The trafficking of girls from Nepal into India for the purpose of prostitution is probably the busiest 'slave traffic' of its kind anywhere in the world. (CATW Fact Book, citing Tim McGirk, "Nepal's Lost Daughters", 27 January 1997)

* India's child sex industry is the second largest in the world after the Philippines. ("Six foreigners charged in India child sex case", The Nation, 18 October 1996, reprinted in ECPAT Bulletin, October 1996)

* There could be a few hundred thousand Bangladeshi girls in various houses of prostitution in India. (Brother Jarlath de Souza, "Trafficking in Children: Bangladesh", Child Workers in Asia, July-September 1996)

* Most child prostitutes in the cities hail from the surrounding rural areas, although considerable numbers are trafficked over longer distances. (UNICEF India, Richard Young, "Understanding Underlying Factors", Child Workers in Asia, January-June 1996)

* Nepal appears to be the most significant, identifiable source of child prostitutes for Indian brothels. Thousands of Nepalese females under the age of 20 have been identified in India by various studies. (UNICEF India, Richard Young, "Understanding Underlying Factors", Child Workers in Asia, January-June 1996)

* In 1994, however, the Government of India estimated that 30%of all prostitutes in six major cities were below the age of 20 and that almost 40% of these prostitutes entered the profession before they were 18 years of age. Anecdotal evidence provided by social workers in Calcutta, Bombay and Delhi supports these figures. The existence of a stable child population among the prostitutes of these cities seems to be a certainty. (UNICEF India, Richard Young, "Understanding Underlying Factors", Child Workers in Asia, January-June 1996)

* Of 1,000 red-light districts all over India, prostitutes are mostly minors often from Nepal and Bangladesh. (CATW-Asia Pacific, Trafficking in Women and Prostitution in the Asia Pacific, 1996)

* Districts bordering Maharashtra and Karnataka, known as the 'devadasi belt', have trafficking structures operating at various levels. Many are devadasis dedicated into prostitution for the goddess Yellamma. In one Karnataka brothel, all 15 girls are devadasis. (CATW Fact Book, citing Meena Menon, "The Unknown Faces")

In <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place><?xml:namespace prefix = u1 /><u1:country-region><u1:place>USA</u1:place></u1:country-region></st1:place></st1:country-region> it is by choice more than 50% population and in <u1:place><st1:place>ASIA</u1:place></st1:place> it is by force which is less than even 1%. How to control those learned prostitutes which are practicing prostitution by choice, that wind is also started flowing towards <u1:country-region><u1:place><st1:country-region><st1:place>India</u1:place></u1:country-region></st1:place></st1:country-region>.

Only Krsna consciousness can stop it. Without preaching Krsna and practicing Vaisanavism in life by surrendering all sexual desire to Krsna one can not liberate from this disease of sex and material desire. I always curse myself why I had entered into this mundane family life where every moment I have to suffer from material pain which I don’t want to suffer. But it is only the will of Krsna , I am serving with a purpose. Once Krsna is satisfied with my service I will automatically be liberated from this material life. That same thing also happened to Prabhupada. I understand that how much material pain Prabhupada had suffered and finally got such a wonderful wisdom about Krsna. So I can not accept anybody bigger than Prabhupada at least in this Kali yuga. I was under control of Maya when I entered into family life but now I understand every play of Maya and Maya is subordinate to me. Same thing happened to Prabhupada. That’s why I had tremendous respect for Prabhupada, who suffered in material life and finally came out with total wisdom of Krsna. He is great and definitely great teacher whom ever I think.

That's why only Prabhupada's message can save this world by arousing Krsna consciousness within everyone’s life.

I always curse myself why I had entered into this mundane family life where every moment I have to suffer from material pain which I don’t want to suffer. But it is only the will of Krsna , I am serving with a purpose. Once Krsna is satisfied with my service I will automatically be liberated from this material life.

Hare Krishna Srimanta, thanks for posting, yes, you're making an important point - many people surely think the same way, why am I born into such a materialistic society?

Srila Prahlada Maharaja a great mahajana and pure devotee of the Lord explains in Srimad Bhagavatam why he was born in such a demoniac family, having Hiranyakasipu the biggest demon of all as father, who actually wanted to kill the child Prahlada:

trastaḥ — frightened; asmiam; ahamI; kṛpaṇa-vatsalaO my Lord, who are so kind to the fallen souls (who have no spiritual knowledge); duḥsaha — intolerable; ugra — ferocious; saḿsāra-cakra — of the cycle of birth and death; kadanāt — from such a miserable condition; grasatām — among other conditioned souls, who devour one another; praṇītaḥ — being thrown; baddhaḥ — bound; sva-karmabhiḥ — the course by the reactions of my own activities; uśattamaO great insurmountable; te — Your; ańghri-mūlamto the soles of the lotus feet; prītaḥ — being pleased (with me); apavarga-śaraṇam — which are the shelter meant for liberation from this horrible condition of material existence; hvayase — You will call (me); kadā — when; nu — indeed.

TRANSLATION

O most powerful, insurmountable Lord, who are kind to the fallen souls, I have been put into the association of demons as a result of my activities, and therefore I am very much afraid of my condition of life within this material world. When will that moment come when You will call me to the shelter of Your lotus feet, which are the ultimate goal for liberation from conditional life?

So here Prahlada maharaja uses the term sva-karmabhih and says, dear Lord, I was born in such a materialistic family because of my own materialistic activities in the past live. In the purport Srila Prabhupada elaborates, "Indeed, sometimes foolish people deride the Lord for having put them here. Actually, everyone is put into conditional life according to his

karma."

------------

PURPORT

Being in the material world is certainly miserable, but certainly when one is put into the association of asuras, or atheistic men, it is intolerably so. One may ask why the living entity is put into the material world. Indeed, sometimes foolish people deride the Lord for having put them here. Actually, everyone is put into conditional life according to his karma. Therefore PrahlādaMahārāja, representing all the other conditioned souls, admits that he was put into life among the asuras because of the results of his karma. The Lord is known as kṛpaṇa-vatsala because He is extremely kind to the conditioned souls. As stated in Bhagavad-gītā, therefore, the Lord appears whenever there are discrepancies in the execution of religious principles (yadāyadāhidharmasya glānir bhavatibhārata. .. tadātmānaḿ sṛjāmy aham [Bg. 4.7]). The Lord is extremely anxious to deliver the conditioned souls, and therefore He instructs all of us to return home, back to Godhead (sarva-dharmānparityajyamāmekaḿśaraṇaḿvraja [Bg. 18.66]). Thus PrahlādaMahārāja expected that the Lord, by His kindness, would call him again to the shelter of His lotus feet. In other words, everyone should be eager to return home, back to Godhead, taking shelter of the lotus feet of the Lord and thus being fully trained in Kṛṣṇa consciousness.

Guest guest

Thank you Suchandra for posting this.

There are so many things we can do in the world to try to help others. The first thing we can do is to become aware of the various probelmatic situations in this world, educating ourselves about reality.

Then we can better appreciate if we ourselves have a good situation or not. If we do then we can help others and this will help us to improve ourselves spiritually at the same time.

I say: don't give up and wish for the end of the world to come, do something right now to help others who are experiencing so many hellish situations. "It's better to burn out than it is to rust." -- Neil Young.

Thank you Suchandra for posting this.

There are so many things we can do in the world to try to help others. The first thing we can do is to become aware of the various probelmatic situations in this world, educating ourselves about reality.

Then we can better appreciate if we ourselves have a good situation or not. If we do then we can help others and this will help us to improve ourselves spiritually at the same time.

I say: don't give up and wish for the end of the world to come, do something right now to help others who are experiencing so many hellish situations. "It's better to burn out than it is to rust." -- Neil Young.

I absolutely agree. We have to do what we can to help others, especially the innocent and the helpless. That is part of our service to Krishna and his creation. We have no right to complain about our problems when things like child prostitution are happening.

Haribol!

Guest guest

I agree with zjj. One thing I want to say is I want to join hands with ALL of my brethren on this planet to solve this problem. I think it's important to recognize that specific individuals are the cause of specific problems, not entire ethnicities or religions or groups of people.

For example, I want to join with my Christian brethren to work on solving this problem together with them. In the Bible there are over 2000 references to helping the poor, and zero references to capital gains tax cuts for the rich and zero references to invading other countries.

I would also like to join hands with any like-minded and affectionate Islamic brothers and sisters to solve this problem. I recognize that not every Muslim is the same, just as not every "devotee" is the same. At this time in America, Islam is the fastest growing religion. If that is so, then I welcome all those who will all join together and work diligently to "take care of the poor, widows and orphans" like it says to do in the Quran.

I would like to join together with EVERYONE on this planet to help each other make this world a better place. I don't want to scapegoat entire religions and people as to who is the cause of problems in the world today. I want to keep an open mind as to who can be my ally in this important work.

And if some individuals don't understand how they are part of the problem today then I am hopeful that tomorrow they can change through kindness, compassion, love, sincerity, and education. And thank you everybody who is already doing that. "Be the change you want to see in the world" -- Gandhi.