Guest guest

Dear All,

What is the essence of Srividhya Upasana? By doing such Upasana, ones

problems are increasing. Why is it so?

Regards,

Guest guest

May I express my experienced views:

Divine Mother is so much compassionate with her upasaka.She zips

(Compressed actions)our bad karmas first and intensify it so that it passes off very quickly and She is so anxious to bless us all that gives happiness ever and no prarabdha remains to spend and prevents its reoccurances.It simoply purifies us. Some with deep faith experiences and enjoys for ever. But some shakes in that and loses faith and again trapped into that maya and prolongs their period of suffering,by ignoring Her.though she wants to give but we become unqualified because our doubts.

This is my experience.

Krishnamoorthy

wrote:

Dear All,

Regards,

Guest guest

Namaste

Books could be (and have been) filled in trying to answer your

question, "What is the essence of Srividhya Upasana?"

But to state it super-simply, as stated in our splash-page quote, I

would say that Srividya's essence "lies in its affirmation of Shakti

as Consciousness and of the identity of Shakti and Brahman. In

short, Brahman is static Shakti and Shakti is dynamic Brahman."

Beyond this basic theological position, Srividya is probably best

defined by its practice, in which a fundamental identity of

macrocosm/microcosm (Cosmos/human body) is presumed, and realized

through a complex of ritual identifications of the sripaNcakam (five

elements of Srividya upasana) as elaborated by Bhaskararaya in his

Setubandha and elsewhere, seeking experiential realization of the

identity of (1) the sadhaka/sadhika; (2) the Guru; (3) the srividya

mantra (Pancadasi and/or Sodasi); (4) Sri Lalita; and (5) Sri Chakra.

*** By doing such Upasana, one's problems are increasing. Why is it

so? ***

It is not necessarily so. I do not believe that Sri Vidya

upasakas/upasikas uniformly have more problems than anyone else,

objectively speaking. On the other hand, I have been taught that,

especially in the early stages, there is a swift burning off of the

karmic burden that can seem to the human mind as if a serious "bad

luck streak" is afflicting the sadhaka. Thereafter also, karma tends

not to accumulate is the normal way, but is burnt off as incurred,

which can also occasionally manifest harshly, but is -- in the

broader view -- a good thing rather than a bad thing for the

aspirant.

That's my *very* brief, three-minute take on your question. I may

very well be mistaken, so please take with a grain of salt.

aim mAtangyai namaH

Guest guest

wrote: By doing such Upasana, one's problems are

increasing. Why is it so?

devi_bhakta responded : It is not necessarily so. I do not believe

that Sri Vidya upasakas/upasikas uniformly have more problems than

anyone else, objectively speaking. On the other hand, I have been

taught that, especially in the early stages, there is a swift

burning off of the karmic burden that can seem to the human mind as

if a serious "bad luck streak" is afflicting the sadhaka. Thereafter

also, karma tends not to accumulate is the normal way, but is burnt

off as incurred, which can also occasionally manifest harshly, but

is -- in the broader view -- a good thing rather than a bad thing

for the aspirant.

My 0 cents contribution : Its how the upasakas/upasikas overcome or

face these problems. Thus this whole statement of : "To rise above"

which is the Essence of Srividhya Upasana. To Rise above what? We

should ask.

Guest guest

rising above indicates only the change of attitude ,improving the aspect of looking things with divine eyes and knowledge.There are certain medicines for certain diseases which would aggrevate in the beginning and cure fully after some time.Devi's blessing is such that no repetition of looking back but

rising above such very very minor sufferings.Here I am simply emotionally charged hence finishing my answer.

NMadasamy <nmadasamy (AT) nmadasamy (DOT) com> wrote:

By doing such Upasana, one's problems are

increasing. Why is it so?

devi_bhakta responded : It is not necessarily so. I do not believe

that Sri Vidya upasakas/upasikas uniformly have more problems than

anyone else, objectively speaking. On the other hand, I have been

taught that, especially in the early stages, there is a swift

burning off of the karmic burden that can seem to the human mind as

if a serious "bad luck streak" is afflicting the sadhaka. Thereafter

also, karma tends not to accumulate is the normal way, but is burnt

off as incurred, which can also occasionally manifest harshly, but

is -- in the broader view -- a good thing rather than a bad thing

for the aspirant.

My 0 cents contribution : Its how the upasakas/upasikas overcome or

face these problems. Thus this whole statement of : "To rise above"

which is the Essence of Srividhya Upasana. To Rise above what? We

should ask.

Find out what India is talking about on - Answers India

Send FREE SMS to your friend's mobile from Messenger Version 8. Get it NOW

Guest guest

For me the Spiritual Path is one of Ascension/Moksha/Merging. Its like a University, we learn and are tested on ability to move ahead, the karmas. For me, once I have choosen the path, then stick to it. There are no short-cut I have found, but friends like finding Shakti Sadhana, to help you along, sure, there is ample support. Love You and wish you the very best.

Thursday, September 28, 2006 1:20:18 PM

Essence of Srividhya Upasana.

Dear All,

Regards,

Guest guest

This is normal as we have to burn up karma faster.One must approach one's Guru for the cure.

This is one way of keeping away undesirable too.

wrote:

Dear All,

Regards,

No , it is absolutely false, in my personal experience my sister have escaped from a fire accident only because of lalitha saharanama recitation. My sister’s planetary positions were very weak during that period all astrologers told that my sister would not survive, but we had faith in lalitha upasana and worshipped with belief. One day a great fire accident happened even coconut trees,mango trees of our garden caught fire(ie. The fire burnt to that height).But my sister escaped without injury only because of the mercy of devi .

After that incident my mother went to a famous astrologer with her horoscope who told that horoscopes of dead should not be kept at home(he did not believe that my sister was alive), also said that the death is due to a fire accident. My mother was shocked to hear that. From that day all our relatives who heard this deeply believe godess lalitha.

The divine mother always protects her Devotees who worship with deep belief.

It is not always that the sufferings come/increase because the old karmas are burnt away. I have seen in my lifetime many cases of sadhakas being afflicted by various types of problems, including madness, after they started Srividya Upasana. One reverred elder (who is no more) who was a Srividya Upasaka told me that it is a very risky matter; he likened it to the state of an army jawan in the battlefield and told me that such Srividya Upasana which is essentially Tantric (not vaideeka) is supposed to be very secret and not intended to be given to anyone and everyone. Any small mistake in any aspect of observation of the rituals and more especially the "shuddhi" that is required, cannot be ensured by most people who are having office work or other jobs. He used to discourage even putting up Srichakra picture in the pooja room without all the required observances. The only thing he allowed was Rajarajeswari/Lalitha's picture and the recitation of Lalithambal Sobhanam (Tamil) by the women of the house and other ordinary sthothras.

He used to decry even the recitation of Lalitha Sahasranamam en masse or loudly and by females. Nowadays, however, all such stipulations have been thrown to the winds and many self-styled gurujis give Srividya upadesam to several people with the result that this Vidya which was reserved for the extremely few qualified people, has become very commonplace, so to say. Probably Shakti does not tolerate that.

As an example, the above-cited elder told me once that the "Bhagavathi Seva" which is very common in Kerala, is to be completed within some 'yaamam' of the night; after this time, the deity becomes "ugraroopini" and usually does not give beneficial results. He advised me to avoid attending such Bagavathisevas if the priest is in the habit of allowing the function to extend, say beyond, 8.30 P.M. due to the (then emerging) practice of several people singing before the Arathi is performed.

Thus one has to be very careful with Srividya Upasana and it should not be equated with the Bhakti sampradayam. That is my humble view. There are, of course, very many other ways of doing Bhakthi of Devi.

It is not always that the sufferings come/increase because the old karmas are burnt away. I have seen in my lifetime many cases of sadhakas being afflicted by various types of problems, including madness, after they started Srividya Upasana. One reverred elder (who is no more) who was a Srividya Upasaka told me that it is a very risky matter; he likened it to the state of an army jawan in the battlefield and told me that such Srividya Upasana which is essentially Tantric (not vaideeka) is supposed to be very secret and not intended to be given to anyone and everyone. Any small mistake in any aspect of observation of the rituals and more especially the "shuddhi" that is required, cannot be ensured by most people who are having office work or other jobs. He used to discourage even putting up Srichakra picture in the pooja room without all the required observances. The only thing he allowed was Rajarajeswari/Lalitha's picture and the recitation of Lalithambal Sobhanam (Tamil) by the women of the house and other ordinary sthothras.

He used to decry even the recitation of Lalitha Sahasranamam en masse or loudly and by females. Nowadays, however, all such stipulations have been thrown to the winds and many self-styled gurujis give Srividya upadesam to several people with the result that this Vidya which was reserved for the extremely few qualified people, has become very commonplace, so to say. Probably Shakti does not tolerate that.

As an example, the above-cited elder told me once that the "Bhagavathi Seva" which is very common in Kerala, is to be completed within some 'yaamam' of the night; after this time, the deity becomes "ugraroopini" and usually does not give beneficial results. He advised me to avoid attending such Bagavathisevas if the priest is in the habit of allowing the function to extend, say beyond, 8.30 P.M. due to the (then emerging) practice of several people singing before the Arathi is performed.

Thus one has to be very careful with Srividya Upasana and it should not be equated with the Bhakti sampradayam. That is my humble view. There are, of course, very many other ways of doing Bhakthi of Devi.

You are quite right.Even inthese forums lot of self styled persons write and give mantras to everybody freely without ascertaining their genuineness.Srividhya and other Tantra upasanas are not for all and sundry

Women are initiated into Sri Vidya Upasana. There are women Gurus. This is in Tamil Nadu. Again Bhagavathi Seva is not Sri Vidya. It is a common practice only in Kerala.

There are many Sampradhayas in Sri Vidya. There are some beliefs in particular Sampradhayas. But these are not common to all Sampradhayas. In Kerala I have found that Upasana of MAA VARAHI is not looked upon with favour. But VARAHI upasana is part of the Krama Diksha of the Sri Vidya Sampradhaya of Tamil Nadu. There are many sampradhayas in Tamil Nadu.

There are Sri Vidya sampradhayas in Andhra Pradesh, Orissa and Bengal.

Bhakthi or devotion is a common factor in all Upasanas. You can not perform Nava Avarana Puja without devotion.

The book Auspicious Wisdom by Brooks gives a fairly good idea of Sri Vidya.