IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Kripamoya

Is the Bible shastra?

Rate this topic

what's the definition of "shastra"?

i think perhaps the old testaments in their original forms can be considered what i think is shastra. The modern version of the bible - well, i don't know, but i'm sure there are splotches of the original philosophy in their also.

I no longer think of the Bible as one book which of course it never was. But that is the perception of most people. It is a complilation of various writings of Hebrew teachers who came to embrace monotheism over polytheism. This was a very difficult thing to do in their neighborhood.

I certainly do not accept it as "the literal Word of God" as some Christians do. Just as there are different sections of the vedas written for people in different modes of nature the old testamant is for a particular people. Even there though as mentioned by Gaea higher truths shine through and it's to that higher truth that we should offer obeisance...but not to the Bible as a whole.

How can we respect the instructions on animal sacrifice in Old Testament? It is barbaric and gruesome. Nor am I much attracted to the writings of Paul in the New Testament.

In the words and life of Christ however I find the core of Krsna conscious realization when put into practice.

All shastra is not on the same level. Once we have come to Srimad Bhagavatam there is no need to look elsewhere for transcendental knowledge.

While the essence of this verse is still above and beyond me I do recognize this as the goal.

SB 1.1.2: Completely rejecting all religious activities which are materially motivated, this Bhagavata Purana propounds the highest truth, which is understandable by those devotees who are fully pure in heart. The highest truth is reality distinguished from illusion for the welfare of all. Such truth uproots the threefold miseries. This beautiful Bhagavatam, compiled by the great sage Vyasadeva [in his maturity], is sufficient in itself for God realization. What is the need of any other scripture? As soon as one attentively and submissively hears the message of Bhagavatam, by this culture of knowledge the Supreme Lord is established within his heart.

Here is a snippit from the purport to SB 6.5.20

"Apart from the sastras of the Vedic civilization, which is the oldest of the world, other sastras agree on this point. For example, in the Buddhist sastras Lord Buddha advises that one achieve nirvana by giving up the materialistic way of life. In the Bible, which is also sastra, one will find the same advice: one should cease materialistic life and return to the kingdom of God. In any sastra one may examine, especially the Vedic sastra, the same advice is given: one should give up his materialistic life and return to his original, spiritual life. Sankaracarya also propounds the same conclusion. Brahma satyam jagan mithya: this material world or materialistic life is simply illusion, and therefore one should stop his illusory activities and come to the platform of Brahman."

"Apart from the sastras of the Vedic civilization, which is the oldest of the world, other sastras agree on this point. For example, in the Buddhist sastras Lord Buddha advises that one achieve nirvana by giving up the materialistic way of life. In the Bible, which is also sastra, one will find the same advice: one should cease materialistic life and return to the kingdom of God. In any sastra one may examine, especially the Vedic sastra, the same advice is given: one should give up his materialistic life and return to his original, spiritual life. Sankaracarya also propounds the same conclusion. Brahma satyam jagan mithya: this material world or materialistic life is simply illusion, and therefore one should stop his illusory activities and come to the platform of Brahman."

That sounds like a best last word on this issue to me....

Very good grasshopper.......

Now, for your next test............

as quickly as you can...............

take the pebble from my hand!:wacko: