IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

poor creatures

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Govinda dasi’s memories of the very early days, the most humble beginnings of this Hare Krishna movement:

SLUG LOVE

In the late afternoon in New Jersey, Srila Prabhupada would often sit downstairs in the garden beside our bungalow. New Jersey is known as the garden state, and the town of Long Branch was certainly testimony to that. There were gardens everywhere, roses were blooming and their fragrance filled the air. On one particular afternoon, Srila Prabhupada was comfortably seated in a chair, and I was sitting on the ground beside him. He was softly chanting japa, enjoying the fresh ocean air, mixed with the fragrance of roses and other flowers. Occasionally he would say something but mostly he would chant softly. Suddenly beside my sitting place I saw a large brown slug in all its slimy ugliness. Somewhat repulsed I leaned away from the creature. Srila Prabhupada looked at me quizzically and I said: "Ugh, look at this", pointing to the slimy, sliding creature. Srila Prabhupada leaned forward and looked at the slug, his face grew full of love and compassion, and he said to me: "Chant to the poor creature", and so I sat there, chanting Hare Krsna to the slimy, yet benedicted slug for some time until he slithered away. He had incredible compassion even for the most abominable creature. Srila Prabhupada, I can never forget the sound of your voice when you gave me that instruction. In it, your whole mission was encapsulated. "Chant to the poor creature".

Your face looked pained, full of compassion for the poor jiva in that slimy body. You did not see the ugly slug that I saw. You saw the soul covered in suffering, forgetful of Krsna. From that moment my heart opened for all creatures and I glimpsed the depth of your divine compassion. Thank you, Srila Prabhupada for sharing that compassion with me.

(And thank you Govinda dasi for sharing your special memories with us!)

More next issue.

Guest guest

"Suddenly beside my sitting place I saw a large brown slug in all its slimy ugliness."

Why see a wonderful being like a slug as ugly? Why abominable? Aren't most human beings just as ugly and even more abominable? Isn't this a purely subjective perception? Doesn't the wonderful slug deserve its rightful place in this amazing creation? And in general, why look down on animals?

Guest guest

"Suddenly beside my sitting place I saw a large brown slug in all its slimy ugliness."

Why see a wonderful being like a slug as ugly? Why abominable? Aren't most human beings just as ugly and even more abominable? Isn't this a purely subjective perception? Doesn't the wonderful slug deserve its rightful place in this amazing creation? And in general, why look down on animals?

many people do not find bugs attractive, such as cockroaches. This story is about having compassion on those incarnated, no matter what body they are in, from bug to human. There are beings in beautiful bodies, and beings in deformed and lowly bodies, but all are worthy of compassion, for they are all jivas suffering in Samsara.

Sometimes I wonder if these "my lila with Prabhupada" stories really accomplish anything except self-promotion of the part of the story teller.

I always prefer to hear FROM Prabhupada than someone elses story ABOUT Prabhupada.

This story telling in some ways is like writing oneslef into some lila with Prabhupada.

I am not so sure that I buy all that.

Better to preach what Srila Prabhupada authorized.

Guest guest

"May we all develop such compassion. Thanks so much for sharing that.'

I am working on it, and you are welcome, my pleasure.

I am not just here to lambaste and excoriate mental speculators.

I would much rather share nectar like this and allow the contemplations of such to unravel.

Hare Krsna

Guest guest

Sometimes I wonder if these "my lila with Prabhupada" stories really accomplish anything except self-promotion of the part of the story teller.

I always prefer to hear FROM Prabhupada than someone elses story ABOUT Prabhupada.

This story telling in some ways is like writing oneslef into some lila with Prabhupada.

I am not so sure that I buy all that.

Better to preach what Srila Prabhupada authorized.

forget ISKCON politics for a moment, and listen to the heart of the story told. Beings are suffering all around us, and what are we doing, when we waste time arguing about whether Prabhupada told this story or not?

The story above reflects is what Buddha called developing the Bodhicitta - a true heart of compassion for all suffering beings. Whether Prabhupada said the above, Jesus, Buddha, or any other Spiritual Teacher, it is no less valid and important a lesson for each of us to learn.

Don't forget the slug dwelling in the mud you are throwing. Splitting hairs over Prabhupada quotes is not helping suffering beings. Go preach the Bhagavad Gita and chant; leave the petty disputes to policitians.

Guest guest

Apparently Kripamoya woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

So in the spirit of being loose with the goose, but maintaining the essence,

If Srila Prabhupada was here now he would probably tell us how Govinda Dasi was an inspiration to him. His body was severely ill and he was recuperating in Long Branch NJ by the beach. She was a constant companion, and brought him vases of fresh roses every day, kept his room fresh and clean, and tended to his every need.

He called her "Simple Hearted".

And that was a quote from not her but a differnent devotee, who Srila Prabhupada spoke it too while observing her chanting joyfully while going about her duties.

I would venture to say, that Sluggish moment has lasted a lifetime, and was the official beginning of her sainthood. We should not discount the profound and simple moments like these as to their deep implication on one's soul

Apparently Kripamoya woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

So in the spirit of being loose with the goose, but maintaining the essence,

If Srila Prabhupada was here now he would probably tell us how Govinda Dasi was an inspiration to him. His body was severely ill and he was recuperating in Long Branch NJ by the beach. She was a constant companion, and brought him vases of fresh roses every day, kept his room fresh and clean, and tended to his every need.

He called her "Simple Hearted".

And that was a quote from not her but a differnent devotee, who Srila Prabhupada spoke it too while observing her chanting joyfully while going about her duties.

I would venture to say, that Sluggish moment has lasted a lifetime, and was the official beginning of her sainthood. We should not discount the ptu soul

It has nothing to do with which side of the bed I woke up on.

No matter which side I get up on, I still have to go through the day with back pain and a hernia that I can't afford to get fixed.

No, I turned against these Prabhupada stories years ago when Srila Prabhupada orderd the BTG staff to stop printing these "how I came to ISKCON" stories which in my view are no different than these "my lila with Prabhupada" stories.

The unauthorized biography of Srila Prabhupada called "Lilamrita" is chock full of this same nonsense.

Srila Prabhupada denied Satsvarupa das Goswami as least twice when he asked him if he could write his biography.

After Srila Prabhupada left, the the GBC authorized something that Srila Prabhupada never would approve.

Thus, the "authorized biography" was actually unauthorized by Srila Prabhupada and authorized by the GBC, so actually this claim to being "authorized" is actually a lie.

Srila Prabhupada didn't want none of this story telling and biography.

He wanted us to learn his books.

Guest guest

The unauthorized biography of Srila Prabhupada called "Lilamrita" is chock full of this same nonsense.

teaching compassion for all beings is nonsense? may we all be so nonsensical then!

Guest guest

I am sorry to hear of your pain. I have some expertise in the field of alleviating such. Let me know if I can be of assistance. I would be willing to give a phone or email consultation. Free of charge of course.

If it is money you need, I am afraid I am in the same boat.

And to be fair, I agree that Srila Prabhupada saw the utter nonsense in the character we know as satswarupa, and tried to prevent his penchant for nonsense.

I have read that terrilble book he wrote. And saw first hand the denigration.

But for one as yourself who understands the spontanous nature of real love of Srila Prabhupada, I would hope you could reread that story above, and see the genuineness there. And how there was if anything on the part of the author, an admission of her own fallen nature and the chastisement she received from the king of compassion.

And Srila Prabhupada appreciated her very much from all accounts.

The intimate sharing of such genuine moments is truly one of the cornerstones of the Krishna consciousness movement to me. I never met him in the physical body, but I relish every Prabhupada story told to me by one seeking to glorify him without aggrandizement. It is kattah to me.

Sorry to be harsh with you. Let me know if I can help with your back.

y.s.

Mark

teaching compassion for all beings is nonsense? may we all be so nonsensical then!

If we can't learn compassion and mercy from the teachings of Mahaprabhu and the books of Srila Prabhupada, then we aren't really going to learn much from anecdotal stories from the "my lila with Prabhupada" library.

Guest guest

If we can't learn compassion and mercy from the teachings of Mahaprabhu and the books of Srila Prabhupada, then we aren't really going to learn much from anecdotal stories from the "my lila with Prabhupada" library.

why are you judging Govinda dasi's motives? don't attack a devotee for trying to share a story. We have no reason to believe she made that story up or retold it to make herself noticed.

It would appear from some of the comments I have read on the various discussions here that some people really have it in for Sp disciples. For shame, and he would call you rascal offender, or perhaps mudha. That is an excellent way to trample your creeper into the dirt.

YS

JayaLalitadd