IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
krsna

Whom Shall I Serve and Whom Shall I Not Serve

Rate this topic

Vaishnava blog feeds

<!-- The menu; -->

<!-- the top of the post, the background graphic gets applied here, and we truncate the title itself so it fits, in case of long post titles - title will still show the full title though -->Whom to serve

<!-- the main section of the post goes here -->sadetgtwhu.jpg… they that desire emancipation should associate with those that are wise, old, honest, pure in conduct and possessed of ascetic merit. They whose triple possessions, viz., knowledge (of the Vedas), origin and acts, are all pure, should be waited upon. Association with them is even superior to (the study of the) scriptures.

Devoid of religious acts as we are, we shall yet reap religious merit by association with the righteous, as we should come by sin by waiting upon the sinful. The very sight and touch of the dishonest, and converse and association with them; cause diminution of virtue.

Men (that are doomed to these), never attain purity of mind. Association with the base impairs the understanding, as, indeed, with the indifferent makes it indifferent, while communion with the good ever exalts it.

- The citizens of Hastinapure to the Pandavas upon their going into exile;

Mahabharata, Book 3: Vana Parva: Aranyaka Parva: Section I