IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Illuminated543

Sensitive Question - Physical Relations and spiritual advancement - reconcilable?

Rate this topic

As I have said, I have run hot and cold with Krishna consciousness and am trying to re-dedicate myself to living out Gods true wishes and my true will. This may be a sensitive question but It has to be asked for me to progress. I have always been a very sexual being. I am married now and my wantings are directed toward my wife appropriatley. Is there a way to reconcile physical love with spiritual progress. Keep in mind that we already have three children and are not looking to have more so the exchange between my wife and I will be for our own growth and satisfaction. Could we practice an art like tantra to sanctify our acts?

Thank you.:confused:

Guest guest

In Judaism, making love with your wife is considered a sacred and divine moment, when God's Shekinah (presence and power) hovers over the marriage bed. Therefore, they do not just teach that sex is for procreation only - but that sex is a gift from God to bond husband and wife.

But if you are a Gaudiya Vaishnava, I believe it's taught that sex is only for procreation.

Sex for procreation only is not a teaching of the tantric traditions. In tantra, the sexual union of husband and wife can be seen as a divine embrace/union of Shiva and Shakti, in physical form. Therefore, making love with your spouse is not considered something negative on the spiritual path; rather something that can be used for spiritual upliftment.

Tantra is a lot more than sexual relations, however, that is only a small part of tantra.

Really sound advice from the Guest. Especially the insights of Judaism mentioned. As the higher spiritual love between jiva's develops, the material attraction of sex can become somewhat much more insignificant in comparison.

Look very deeply into your wife's spiritual inclinations, honor them, appreciate them and love them. She is obviously a very special soul honoring your spiritual growth and choice. If you do this, over time the external difference in your practices will not be so contradictory. You and your partners divine romance with the divine will become the central theme to the relationship. But for this to blossom fully, both of you are responsible and need to practice your spiritual lives sincerely. I'm sure you are already!

Radhe Krishna,

Tantra takes one to the vama marga which is not viewed well in sadhu sampradayas.

The best way of leaving something is by way of sticking on to something else which is good. You are already blessed with krishna bhakthi. The following things would surely help :

1. More dedicated chanting

2.reading more krishna bhakthi literature as prescribed by your sampradaya

3.last but not least - try to be in the association of krishna bhakthas who share their experience of krishna bhakthi

Radhe krishna