IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

non-Vedic religions and Moksha?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

can followers of non-vedic religions obtain moksha in this lifetime, or will they have to be reborn into a tradition that stresses some form of yoga practice?

Non-vedic traditions like Christianity and Islam do not have the concept of Moksha from Samsara, since they only believe they live on earth one lifetime, followed by an eternity of heaven or hell. Therefore, they think that their beliefs (or good deeds) = instant liberation when they die. Whereas all Hindus believe moksha is obtained only thru some sort of yoga practice, sense withdrawal and surrender, and is not based on mere beliefs.

Non-vedic traditions may practice some form of bhakti, some form of jnana, but in a limited form, and not for the sole purpose of obtaining liberation from material existence. Christians believe that by accepting Christ, their sins are automatically forgiven and they have obtained salvation. They do not believe that one must practice bhakti yoga to obtain salvation - but rather they see bhakti as a result of their salvation. This is a very distinct point in their sotierology.

Outside of the Abrahamic faiths, neo-pagan traditions mention reincarnation, but from what I see do not have a developed concept of yoga or moksha. They do not state how to end the cycle of death and rebirth - though they do acknowledge it to some degree.

Without knowing about the goal, can we obtain the goal? without even knowing we are bound in a cycle of death, birth and rebirth, can we be liberated?

Without knowing about the goal, can we obtain the goal? without even knowing we are bound in a cycle of death, birth and rebirth, can we be liberated?

And what is the goal? :rolleyes:

You speak as if people who trying to obtain moksha knows their goals very well also.

Please answer me this ... why do you seek Moksha? What do you do after you obtain Moksa?:smash:

Guest guest

And what is the goal? :rolleyes:

a return to God's pure spiritual kingdom and liberation from material existence.

You speak as if people who trying to obtain moksha knows their goals very well also.

some do, some don't. It depends what they think Moksha/Nirvana is.. emptiness and no-experience like in Buddhism, or full consicouness, experience and bliss in God's Kingdom..

Please answer me this ... why do you seek Moksha? What do you do after you obtain Moksa?:smash:

can followers of non-vedic religions obtain moksha in this lifetime, or will they have to be reborn into a tradition that stresses some form of yoga practice?

In general people following nonvedic religions today engage in a lot of papa karma (sinful actvities) such as killing cows. There is little to no chance that such people will attain moksha in this life.

by Guest

a return to God's pure spiritual kingdom and liberation from material existence.

How sure are you that this is really the goal of obtain Moksha? :eek4:

If you ask me, (and this is my personal opinion), I say Hindus are following Non-Vedic beliefs also by assuming that you will go somewhere where you will shake your legs for eternity. :eek4:

some do, some don't. It depends what they think Moksha/Nirvana is.. emptiness and no-experience like in Buddhism, or full consicouness, experience and bliss in God's Kingdom..

Exactly ... depends on what you think of Moksha is, that is what you will seek. So, how can a Hindu tells another person he will not obtain Moksha when he himself have not learn what stated in other religion?

Er ... No, I don't think anyone who blows themselves up for 72 virgins will obtain Moksha in ANY lifetime. :smash:

If you are a Vaishnava you serve God and enjoy pure bliss and satisfaction, apart from material suffering, in the Vaikuntha planets.

Sorry but to me, it sounds like you have selfish reasons for wanting obtain Moksha. :eek4:

I think this is a very difficult question. Each one believe that their religion/faith is the one which gives liberation/Moksha. I personally would not say that only our religion is the one which can give moksha and not others.

However I do think that if we are SINCERE and have faith in GOD, whatever our faith are (as long as we use common sense and do not harm our neighbours for the sake of religion), then GOD in his infinite compassion would surely HELP us in attaining whatever the real goal of Moksha is. Whichever form the help might take (could be rebirth, purgatory,in his infinite wisdom he knows how to give the help ), the aim would be to reach that Moksha.

Personally I do not believe in eternal hell. I cant understand why a compasionate Father(GOD) would send his children burning in hell for eternity.I find the idea of reincarnation more of a common sense. As I said , I strongly believe that GOD would surely help us in attaining whatever the goal of mosksha may be, independant of our religion. (My opinion)

Guest guest

How sure are you that this is really the goal of obtain Moksha? :eek4:

If you ask me, (and this is my personal opinion), I say Hindus are following Non-Vedic beliefs also by assuming that you will go somewhere where you will shake your legs for eternity. :eek4:

is the soul not eternal and full of consciousness and bliss?

Liberation means from material existence, not from activity.

Vaishnavas teach that the Vaikuntha Realm is not a place of non-existence, non-activity. On the contrary, it is full of activity - transcendental activities.

We should be excited to learn that we are eternal spirit-souls, and that we can go Back Home to Godhead to serve in the Kingdom God. We are not trying to merge into some non-experience state of Nirvana.