IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Shivam

How Many Rounds Daily Did Srila Prabhupada Chant?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

How do you know this?

I hear from Srila Prabhupada lilamrta every morning, and Prabhupada is constantly chanting. This is what I hear listening to Tamal Krishna's Matchless Memories as well.

This is a nice question for curiosity sake; however we should be careful when considering the transcendental standard of the Mahabhagavatas, who are raganuga-bhaktas—beyond the rules and regulations of sadhana-bhakti.

premanjana-cchurita-bhakti-vilocanena

santah sadaiva hrdayesu vilokayanti

The eyes of the pure devotees are tinged with the salve of the deepest love, and their hearts are overwhelmed in sthayi-bhava, or continuous ecstatic emotions, which are just like the endless waves of an ocean.

When discussing the chanting of the Holy Name, there are different points to consider. One is the level of the chanting: nama-aparadha, nama-abhasa, and suddha-nama. Another is the level of the bhakta: sadhana, bhava, and prema. There are other points to consider as well, but these are the basic ones.

For a premi-bhakta, there is no consideration of “offence” or “clearing”, his chanting is on the purest level, suddha. He is beyond the level of “practice to make perfect”. He is already on the perfectional platform.

It is just like sugar candy and jaundice. Consuming sugar candy is recommended for one who is infected with jaundice. For him, it is very bitter (the stage of nama-aparadha). However, by eating the sugar candy anyway, the disease gradually disappears (the stage of nama-abhasa). When the disease disappears, and he is in his original healthy condition (suddha-nama), the taste of the sugar candy is sweet once again.

Most will never experience the disease of jaundice. Such persons are compared to the Nitya-siddhas. Srila Prabhupada is in this category and his chanting is always sweet. There is no need for the nitya-siddhas to chant a prescribed

number of rounds. Their service is their chanting and the Holy Name is always dancing on their tongues. We cannot factually count the number of square miles in Vrndavana, nor can we

count the number of “rounds” of such paramahamsas. There is no beginning or end to their chanting.

Not just 16 or 64, but unlimited!

Hare Krsna

There seems to be a bug. After posting my reply and submitting it, I noticed it wasn't displaying the way I had written it. I had to go back and edit 3 times. The words were being cropped off at the end of the line, giving a totally different meaning than what I had intended.

This is a nice question for curiosity sake; however we should be careful when considering the transcendental standard of the Mahabhagavatas, who are raganuga-bhaktas—beyond the rules and regulations of sadhana-bhakti.

premanjana-cchurita-bhakti-vilocanena

santah sadaiva hrdayesu vilokayanti

The eyes of the pure devotees are tinged with the salve of the deepest love, and their hearts are overwhelmed in sthayi-bhava, or continuous ecstatic emotions, which are just like the endless waves of an ocean.

When discussing the chanting of the Holy Name, there are different points to consider. One is the level of the chanting: nama-aparadha, nama-abhasa, and suddha-nama. Another is the level of the bhakta: sadhana, bhava, and prema. There are other points to consider as well, but these are the basic ones.

For a premi-bhakta, there is no consideration of “offence” or “clearing”, his chanting is on the purest level, suddha. He is beyond the level of “practice to make perfect”. He is already on the perfectional platform.

It is just like sugar candy and jaundice. Consuming sugar candy is recommended for one who is infected with jaundice. For him, it is very bitter (the stage of nama-aparadha). However, by eating the sugar candy anyway, the disease gradually disappears (the stage of nama-abhasa). When the disease disappears, and he is in his original healthy condition (suddha-nama), the taste of the sugar candy is sweet once again.

Most will never experience the disease of jaundice. Such persons are compared to the Nitya-siddhas. Srila Prabhupada is in this category and his chanting is always sweet. There is no need for the nitya-siddhas to chant a prescribed

number of rounds. Their service is their chanting and the Holy Name is always dancing on their tongues. We cannot factually count the number of square miles in Vrndavana, nor can we

count the number of “rounds” of such paramahamsas. There is no beginning or end to their chanting.

Not just 16 or 64, but unlimited!

Hare Krsna

I did not mean to make a great offense as to judge any Vaisnava, much less one of the Greatest Vaisnavas in Srila Prabhupada. I just was curious in how many rounds Srila Prabhupada chanted daily to give him such strength in spreading Krsna Consciousness.

Hare Krsna

I did not mean to make a great offense as to judge any Vaisnava, much less one of the Greatest Vaisnavas in Srila Prabhupada. I just was curious in how many rounds Srila Prabhupada chanted daily to give him such strength in spreading Krsna Consciousness.

Hare Krsna

Dear Shivam,

I didn't get the feeling that you were being offensive; your question sounded sincere and humble. It's a good question. Thank you for asking it. It is giving us all an opportunity to discuss the activities of a pure devotee.

As far as Srila Prabhupada, I personally don't accept that he became a pure devotee through saddhana. The conclusion that I and other older devotees have come to from reading his books and following his instructions is that he is a nitya-siddha. Therefore, my tone may sound a bit strong, but it isn't intended to be.

Respectfully,

Bhava dasa (ACBSP)