Ramayogi Posted April 27, 2006 Report Posted April 27, 2006 I'd be interested in finding out the proper rponounciations of some popular mantras, like: Aum namo Bhagavate Vausdevaya Aum aim Sarasvatayai namah Aum Hanumanthaya namah Aum sri Mahalaksmeyai namah also is svaha pronounced like it spells, or is it pronounced "swa-ha"? Any help would be appreciated. Quote
Jahnava Nitai Das Posted April 27, 2006 Report Posted April 27, 2006 I think the best thing would be to hear the sound recordings. I will look and see if I can find any of these. Quote
Ramayogi Posted April 29, 2006 Author Report Posted April 29, 2006 I think the best thing would be to hear the sound recordings. I will look and see if I can find any of these. Thanks much. I would love to work with some of these mantra, but I want to get the pronounciation right. Letter combinations like 'sva' and 'jna' can throw westerners for a loop. Quote
Jahnava Nitai Das Posted April 29, 2006 Report Posted April 29, 2006 Until I can post the audio links I will just add that sva is roughly pronounced "swa" and jna is roughly like "gya". Thus sarasvati is saraswati, and jnana is gyana. Also aum is pronounced as om as in home. aim is pronounced as I'm. (I'm going for a walk.) sri is pronounced as shree. Quote
Shivam Posted April 30, 2006 Report Posted April 30, 2006 Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya ^^ What does this mantra do? How do you pray with it? Quote
Ramayogi Posted May 13, 2006 Author Report Posted May 13, 2006 I've heard that it opens the heart chakra Quote
vrajavasi Posted May 15, 2006 Report Posted May 15, 2006 Radhe Krishna, "Swaha" is a shabhdha utilised while giving an Aahuthi while performing a havanam although there are exceptions where it is used in other circumstances. One should hear very intently as to how it is pronounced. Normally it is pronounced in a swara called "Deergasvaritham". Radhe Krishna Quote
Ramayogi Posted May 18, 2006 Author Report Posted May 18, 2006 Until I can post the audio links I will just add that sva is roughly pronounced "swa" and jna is roughly like "gya". Thus sarasvati is saraswati, and jnana is gyana. Also aum is pronounced as om as in home. aim is pronounced as I'm. (I'm going for a walk.) sri is pronounced as shree. I believe I heard somewhere that sanskrit lacks a "w" sound. Like Latin. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.