IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Shivam

What Can I Do To Improve My Prayer?

Rate this topic

I Do 20 Rounds of "Om Namah Shivaya" daily.

20 Rounds of the Hare Krishna Maha-Mantra daily.

And I also do Om Hareng Namah 20 Rounds daily as well.

Is there anything more that I can do to improve my prayer?

Guest guest

If you are seeking structure, then follow a definite routine with regard to

1. Sleeping: for instance, sleep at 11 PM and wake up at 5 AM (or 6) daily. No compromise. When you get up, offer that getting up effort to the Lord.

2. Take bath in cold water.

3. Meditate for 15 minutes either on the form of your chosen deity or the concept of the nondual absolute, keeping your mind free from stray thoughts.

Then do your rounds of slokas. Follow such a prayer routine (30-40 min) after bath in the mornings and before dinner in the evenings.

4. If there are any suggested prayers that your hindu tradition asks you to perform, try and add these to the list. This is your service to your ancestors and the Rishis and the preservation of our ancient ways of life.

5. Regulate like you did your sleep times also your eating times. Know when and what you will eat (more or less). Don't break from the times or order. Keep to a Sattvic diet. Fast a couple of times on fixed days each week; for instance, no dinner Wed nights and no breakfast Friday mornings.

6. Keep your mind free from worldly thoughts: no TV, magazines, etc. Read only spiritual books and keep your mind on the form of God on all stray occasions, learn to chant His name as a means of happiness.

Any serious effort to restrain the mind and bring it to the spiritual path is bound to create clashes within. Endure them all remembering the spiritual ideal.