IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
mohankrishna

The contents of the Vedas

Rate this topic

Hare Krishna!

I am hoping someone who is well versed in the Vedas (or any Veda) will answer this question. Though all comments are ofcourse wolcome.

Sayana, in his commentary on one of the verses in the Rig Veda, states the speed of light. How does he arrive at this?

Also, slightly away from this topic - How did archeologists put a date on the Rig Veda?

Thank you

Hare Krishna!

MohanKrishna

Guest guest

Hello,

Could you email me the verse or the shloka where the speed of light is being talked about? I am curious as to how it is being explained or the intent of the verse. I am also interested in reading the vedas and have studied some verses from the Rig veda.

Thanks.

SG

sagali04@

Guest guest

Hare Krishna!

I am hoping someone who is well versed in the Vedas (or any Veda) will answer this question. Though all comments are ofcourse wolcome.

Sayana, in his commentary on one of the verses in the Rig Veda, states the speed of light. How does he arrive at this?

Also, slightly away from this topic - How did archeologists put a date on the Rig Veda?

Thank you

Hare Krishna!

MohanKrishna

I am not aware of the speed of light story.

The dating of the Rig-veda is a non-trivial issue. The variation in language across the Mandalas, absence of mention of iron, some loaner words from Ancient Iranian in some Mandalas and archaeological evidence along with many other factors go into the dating of the Rig-veda.

The data obtained by the above procedures has nothing to do with British hypocrisy or any of that nonsense, although many patriots here will strongly object to this. It is hard to fix dates when evidence is incomplete and so there has to be some "guess-work". And the key point is, all new evidence that is being turned up has so far been in line with the proposed dates. So the Rig-veda is definitely later than the Indus civilization.

Anyway, this is a controversial topic and you are likely to see more responses dating the Rig-veda ranging anywhere from 1 million years to timeless eternity.

Cheers