IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
krsna

Is Psychotherapy the new opiate of the masses???

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Some devotees make statements about life are frankly scare the life out of me.

Mental health is a serious problem for many people, so if psychotherapy can help them, what's the problem?

I'm sick and tired of ignorant devotees passing judgement on things they know very little or nothing about.

Here's a thought:

"Is Gaudiya Vaisnavism an opiate for some devotee?"

Guest guest

Well I am off to my pysch appt. this morning. This will be my fifth. I am very poor so I am on a health care program for those that can't pay or else I could never afford it.

I think pyschology could be an opiate for many people if they consider it the possible final solution for their problems. There is all the phenomenon of people going from one health care provider to the next. These people keep themselves chronically disabled because if anything they tried were allowed to work they would lose they excuse for seeking more and different modalities which is there true addiction.

For me is is the pyscho part of the human experience that sometimes needs to be tweaked just like if I had a digestive problem and couldn't digest prasadam well I would get it fixed. My constantly reoccuring depression interfers with my chanting.

I am definetly seeing some benefits by gaining so insights I would never have arrived at on my own.

Now that I have expressed my views I am wondering, "how does that make you feel?" /images/graemlins/wink.gif

You could be right there Krsna Prabhu. Everyone wants to clear the tensions in the mind and if Hare Krishna mantra is not really thought of then everything else becomes an opiate.

Therefore the conclusion will be:

Make "Hare Krishna" Mahaamantra the opiate for the masses so that no other opiate is required :-)

Guest guest

Today was very productive. A great day for challenging many previously held conceptions of myself. I generally see myself as a pretty decent chap. Sure I've my problems, I'm not perfect but at least I am not totally selfish like most of the people on the planet. Or so I thought. Today I got a good glimpse of how self-interest is behind everything I do.

I also thought that I had pretty much forgiven my parents and freed my self from old resentments that just hold me down. Boy was I wrong there also. Even after going past the the obvious sense of anger a lot of subtle _rap remains.

I have lucked out and gotten a good therapist who I am viewing more as an introspection facilitor than a therapist in the traditonal sense.

This experience is a very positive one for me.

Hare Krsna