IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
stonehearted

I'm looking for banana flower recipes

Rate this topic

If anyone knows of good recipes for cooking banana flowers, I'd be very grateful if you'd share them here. I hate throwing the flowers or composting them when I know they're good food. I've just neer learned to cook them. Can anyone help?

Mahalo.

Guest guest

Usually you would cut it into very small pieces

then rub salt (minimal amount) in the surface and let stand for 3 minutes to impart salty taste.

Cook in coconut cream, first in high heat for 5 minutes while stirring and then cover simmer for 25 mins.Watch out that the cream doesn't boil over. The top of the cream has the nice flavour.

Add turmeric, black pepper and a bit more salt.

Use approximately 1 1/2 tins (400g tin) coco cream

Your end product should be watery.

Guest guest

Banana Flower

Musa spp.

The deep purplish-crimson-coloured banana flower is used as a vegetable from Sri Lanka to Laos. The flower is borne at the end of the stem. Long, slender, sterile male flowers with a faint sweet fragrance are lined up in tidy rows and protected by large reddish bracts. Higher up the stem are groups of female flowers which develop into fruit without fertilisation.

In Thailand, slices of tender banana flower are eaten raw with the pungent dip known as nam prik, or with fried noodles, or simmered in a hot sour soup with chicken, galangal and coconut milk.

In the Philippines, banana blossom is added to the famous kari-kari, a rich beef stew. 'Banana blossom' or 'banana heart' are the favoured names in the Philippines and 'banana heart' in Indonesia purely because its colour and shape suggest a heart; (nothing to do with the 'heart' of the trunk used in Burma). In Sri Lanka, it is simply 'plantain flower'. In Australia it is known as 'banana bell'.

Purchasing and storing: Buy flowers which look fresh and bright. Often they are wrapped in transparent plastic, which keeps them from drying out too quickly. If they must be kept for a few days leave them in the wrapping and store in the vegetable crisper of the refrigerator.

Preparation: To prepare the flower for cooking, remove and discard outer bracts until the inner, paler portion is revealed. Some recipes advise steaming the whole blossom for 20 minutes or so before cutting into it. This may also be done in the microwave oven in a much shorter time by first putting the blossom on a dish and covering it with microwave-proof plastic wrap. Allow to cool before slicing.

Other Languages:

Burma: ngapyaw phoo

China: shang chao fua

India: kere kafool

Japan: banana no tsubomi

Indonesia: jantung pisang

Philippines: puso

Sri Lanka: kehel mal

Thailand: dok kluai

Guest guest

Banana Blossom Guinatan

Serves 4

500 g/1 lb banana blossom

salt

2 tablespoons oil

pinch of hing

1 small tomato, diced

2 tablespoons lemon juice

salt and pepper to taste

250 ml/8 fl oz/1 cup thick coconut milk

Discard tough outer layers and slice the blossom thinly, first cutting it in two lengthways if it is large. Put the slices in a bowl, sprinkle with a tablespoon of salt, rubbing it well in. Leave for 10-15 minutes, squeeze out juices, rinse under cold water and squeeze dry.

Heat oil in a wok or frying pan and add hing. Add tomato, stir for 3 minutes, then add banana blossom and lemon juice and bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper as required. Cook until blossom is tender, then stir in coconut milk and remove from heat. Serve with rice. Offer to Lord Krishna, serve and enjoy!!!

Plantain Flower with Spices and panneer

500 g/1 lb plantain flower

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons chilli powder or to taste

3 tablespoons oil

sprig of fresh curry leaves or 6 dried curry leaves

hing

scrambled paneer

Discard tough outer layer and cut the tender portion into bite-sized pieces. Add salt and chilli powder and mix well.

Heat oil and fry the curry leaves and hing, Add the plantain flower and keep tossing over heat until tender. Serve as a vegetable accompaniment with rice and other dishes. Add scrambled panneer.

Banana Flower chickpeas

Serves 6

1 cup preboiled chickpeas

220 /7 oz banana flower

hing

1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger

2 tablespoons oil

1/2 teaspoon turmeric

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon chilli powder

1 teaspoon tamarind purée

Discard tough outer layers of the banana flower. Steam or boil for 15 minutes (or cover with wrap and microwave on high for 3 minutes). Cool to lukewarm, halve lengthways and slice in thin slices crosswise. Meanwhile, soak dried shrimps in 1/2 cup boiling water until softened, then chop roughly. Save soaking water.

Heat oil and fry hing and ginger on low heat, stirring until golden. Add sliced banana flower, and preboiled chickpeas, and little water. Sprinkle with turmeric, salt and chilli powder. Toss well. Cover and cook for about 8 minutes or until tender. Stir in tamarind purée, serve with rice.

Guest guest

minus the shrimps....this is my friends recipe...she stil eats meat...hence the shrimps....i just ommit them and follow the rest of the procedure

Guest guest

"Mother Saci has cooked many varieties of prasad, such as semi-solid delicacies made with banana flower, a special dahl preparation, baskets of fruits, small square cakes made of lentils and cooked-down milk, among others. Seeing her pure devotion, Lord Krsna personally ate all these preparations, which are just like nectar.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Song 3

They are then served a feast of sukta and various kinds of green leafy vegetables, then nice fried things, and a salad made of the green leaves of the jute plant. They are also served pumpkin, baskets of fruit, small square cakes made of lentils and cooked-down milk, then thick yogurt, squash cooked in milk, and vegetable preparations made from the flower of the banana tree.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => CD 10-4 (12:56 Min.) Bhoga Arati (Bhaja Bhakata Vatsala)

Sridhara was shocked and upon hearing this, and covered his ears with his palms. He repeated Lord Visnu’s name, and, seeing Visvambhara in an insolent mood, gave Him the banana plates. In this way, the Lord bargained and fought with Sridhara everyday. Sridhara thought of the boy as a very restless young brähmaëa boy.

Sridhara finally agreed, “I give in to you, I will give you something free of cost, but then please leave me alone. What will I lose if I give away a piece of banana leaf, a banana flower and a slice of banana root?