IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
RameshBabu

Bhagavadgita

Rate this topic

Sir,

I have been seeking an answer for one of my doubts related to

Bhagavadgita. I earnestly request anyone to clear my doubt and oblige.

Arjuna had the unique privilege of hearing this discourse directly from

the Lord and added to that he also enjoyed the embellishment of the

discourse with Vishwarupa darshana. Yet , his personality remains

very much unchanged after listening to Bhagavadgita. Did not Bhagavad

gita have any impact on him ? If he could not be benefitted with it,

can we mortals, hearing the nth version of this sacred disourse expect

to benefit from it ?

Guest guest

Iam sorry, i think you havent read the Gita properly or entirely.

First of all, Arjuna was an exalted devotee of Lord Krishna and that is why he opted for Krishna to be on his side when Duryodhana chose Krishna's army. Of course, there are many instances in the Mahabharata that shows the love and devotion of Arjuna to Krishna. This tells us that Arjuna's personality was one with love and devotion to Krishna- and not otherwise. There is no reason to think otherwise during the entire course of the Gita and Mahabharat.

Arjuna was clear in his thoughts but as Srila Prabhupada says in his purports on the Gita that Arjuna asked all the questions to Lord Krishna for the sake of benefit of mankind and not because he was bewildered.

Arjuna did change his thinking after listening to the Gita, initially he wanted to lay down his arms and quit the battle but after the Gita, He decided to fight and serve Krishna as a Kshatriya. So, Bhagavad Gita was all the impact- i dont know what you mean by no impact.

It is important to understand that we as ordinary souls is important to make small steps to advance in Krishna Consciousness and not think of the end goal of whether we can actually reach it or not. Our duty is to just do the right thing and ofcourse doing the right thing is difficult but we have to try and take small steps.

Any great endeavor starts with one step. So, speculating Arjuna's state of mind in the battlefield 5000 years before is a waste of time. So, lets not think of benefit right away, but do our duties properly honestly according to proper standards and then you will see if anything has changed or not.

Thinking what is the benefit for me is a materialsitic thought and we should not have this thought in spiritual endevaors. Rather we should serve without any motive and just learn to be humble and tolerant and do our duty to the best. Isnt that what the Gita propogates?

Haribol!

anand

Guest guest

Sir,

Here is the answer for you – indeed Arjuna was moved by the message given to him – just see his own words on this issue:

Arjuna said, My dear Krsna, O infallible one, my illusion is now gone. I have regained my memory by Your mercy, and I am now firm and free from doubt and am prepared to act according to Your instructions. [bG 18.73]

We read this in Prabhupada’s purport to this text

“…Arjuna, however, after hearing Bhagavad-gita from the Supreme Personality of Godhead, became free from all illusion…”

You have to read the whole Bhagavad-gita – attentively – then you’ll see these things – in fact you’ll see that Krishna is speaking to YOU….

BDM

You can read the old Gita here:

http://www.asitis.com