IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
theist

curious

Rate this topic

Came upon this. A curious coincidence? Didn't the archery contest in both accounts involve the peircing of a fishes eye? I can't remember.

"The well-known story of Ulysses, who, dressed as a beggar, returns to confound the usurpers of his throne and claim back Penelope through an archery contest, a contest that requires superhuman strength, is matched in the Mahabharata by that of Arjuna, who, disguised as an ascetic, reveals his strength in a similar contest and wins the hand of the daughter of the Rajah, who had organised the contest."

That’s a very good similarity. Also note that Achilles was killed by an arrow to the foot (the same way that Krsna left this world). Further, Achilles was invulnerable to his entire body except for his heel (his mother dipped him into a river and so he was invulnerable). Note that Duryodhan was invulnerable over his entire body except for his thigh.

Here is an old post that also shows other similarities between Plato & Vedic Civilization (Varnas, creation of material world, cyclical destruction):

http://www.audarya-fellowship.com/showflat/cat/hinduism/2189/124/collapsed/5/o/1

I have never read the Iliad or the Odyssey, but I am curious just how many similarities can be noted.

I just now read the account of how Achilles died. Curiouser and curiouser. I never read the Ilyiad or the Odyssye sp? and only a brief version of the Mahabharata but reading some of the battle scenes in the fight for Troy reminded me of scenes from the Mahabharata.

Hmmmm......