Guest guest

for vulcans only

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Fourth Major Quake Hits Calif. This Week

-

Friday, June 17, 2005

(06-17) 07:10 PDT Eureka, Calif. (AP) --

Just hours after a moderate earthquake shook most of Southern California, a strong quake struck off the state's northern coast to become the fourth significant shaker to jolt California this week.

Neither quake Thursday caused serious damage. One person was injured.

A 6.6-magnitude temblor hit about 125 miles off the coast of Eureka around 11:30 p.m., rattling the ocean floor. In the afternoon, a 4.9-magnitude quake struck east of Los Angeles, startling people and knocking items off shelves and desks.

"All of a sudden it just started rocking," said John Napolitano, 45, a campus police officer at Crafton Hills College. "I just sat there and rode it out."

Four significant quakes have hit California this week: A magnitude-5.2 quake shook Riverside County on Sunday, and a magnitude-7.2 quake trembled Tuesday under the ocean 90 miles off Northern California.

Stephanie Hanna, spokeswoman for the U.S. Geological Survey, said Thursday night's quake was likely an aftershock from Tuesday's shaker.

The early afternoon quake was centered near Yucaipa in San Bernardino County, east of Los Angeles, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. About 25 aftershocks followed in a little over an hour, the strongest estimated at magnitude 3.5.

A woman was injured when a light fixture fell on her head in a conference room at Lake Arrowhead Resort, but her injury did not appear to be serious, said a resort employee who declined to be named. She was taken to Mountains Community Hospital but did not want her condition made public, a nursing supervisor said Thursday night.

"I heard a loud rumbling sound, kind of like thunder," said Nick Brandes, 25, manager of a store in Yucaipa. "At the front, all the customers were in a panic. They were all just in a hurry to get out."

Channon Kelly, 31, was eating her lunch in downtown Los Angeles when the quake hit.

"I almost jumped out of my seat," Kelly said. "I'm starting to get freaked out. We've had so many in the last week, the one Sunday and then in Northern California. I could hear the windows rattling and feel it all at the same time."

None of Southern California Edison's 4.6 million customers lost power.

/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /images/graemlins/ooo.gif