IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
theist

US leads in mental illness

Rate this topic

"We're # 1"... "We're #1"...

WASHINGTON, June 7 (Xinhuanet) -- The United States leads in mental illness globally with 46 percent of Americans suffering mental disorders ranging from anxiety, depression to substance abuse in their lifetime, The Washington Post reported Tuesday.

Within the past year, about 25 percent of all Americans met the criteria for having a mental illness, and fully 25 percent of those had a "serious" disorder that significantly disrupted their ability to function day to day, according to a one-year-and-a-half survey of the country's mental health, conducted by the University of Michigan.

Simultaneous occurrence of two or more illnesses was reported in nearly half of the mental disorder sufferers.

The survey is by far the largest and most detailed of its kind in the United States, during which nearly 300 trained interviewers visited 9,282 households selected at random in 34 states.

It focused on four major categories of mental illness. They are anxiety disorders, such as panic and post-traumatic stress disorders; mood disorders, such as major depression and bipolar disease; impulse control disorders, such as hyperactivity; and alcohol or drug abuse.

Those Americans with mental disorders will mostly seek treatment after delays of years or often more than a decade, if ever, the survey found, adding that it is much so among younger sufferers.

Half of those who will ever be diagnosed with a mental disorder show signs of the disease by the age of 14, and three-quarters by 24.

One third of people in need of treatment rely solely on nonprofessional sources such as Internet support groups and spiritual advisers despite the availability of effective treatments for many mental illnesses, said the newspaper.

The survey, published in the June issue of the Archives of General Psychiatry, attributed the low treatment rate to factors including inattention to early warning signs, inadequate health insurance and the lingering stigma that surrounds mental illness. Enditem

Guest guest

I recommend you all read Harris Coulter PhD. 'Vaccination, criminality and social violence.' A veritable eye-opener to the devastating results of the vaccination program, where each new vaccine is another experiment by the pharmaceutical industry, with all of us as the guinea pigs. compulsory too!!!!

From the title, you can already understand the direction it takes, showing doubtless correlations between the first and follwing subjects - i.e. vaccination, crime and violence. If you want some more details before you buy or go to the library, let me know.

VdK.

Guest guest

Oh, and another one. read the physician's desk reference manual for the definition the US psychriatric board takes as the meaning of mental illness. ANY emotion or feeling is now classed as a psychiatric problem. scary stuff!!

VdK.

Any feeling or emotion? Looks like they are getting tired of trying to fulfill their own professional mandate of healing mental disorders and are throwing out the attempt in favor of voidism.

It is so much easier just to blank it all out as opposed to bringing it into a proper state of order, especially when they have no idea what order is. Must get frustrating.

Guest guest

any authority or intelligence or relavence when they removed homosexuality as a mental illness in the Diagnostic Mental Illness manual...... /images/graemlins/blush.gif

I saw a bad sci-fi movie where the state went around arresting people for having emotions. These psychiatrists really are demented demonic people. I can speak with first hand knowledge on this subject because I have been one of their lab rats urrr I mean under their "care".

Clearly not being able to differentiate the obvious gender roles assigned by nature is at the least a confused state of mind. A severly confused state. I thought that to be the broad definiton of mental illness.

That accepted we can only accept the Krsna conscious person as lacking in mental illness and having a healthy mind. The whole material world is literally an asylum.

Napoleon /images/graemlins/crazy.gif