IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Of what use is the Veda???

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I find many religious people shunning science, saying scientists are crazy and that vedas has all the knowledge one needs. I fail to understand this. I assumed that the veda is religious book, so how can there be instructions on technical know-how, which obviously is important to life, otherwise we wouldn't even be typing. The fact that people all over the world are communicating via internet is proof of its greatness. Surely, the veda, however great, can never put together a TV or computer. So in what way is it more useful than science??

I am asking this to learn, not to ridicule. Please answer my queries. I want to be religious, but my scientific bent of mind is preventing me.

Guest guest

Sprirituality begins where science ends. Sure, the Vedas won't teach you how to put a TV together, but a science phd won't tell you how to get back to God either.

Science is empirical faith. Spritituality is faith all by itself. If you're still on your empirical bent why not try this - go to a temple - any temple - and observe the devotees of the Lord. See how they dance and sing. Do you see a scientist so happy? - i ask from experience because i am also a scientist trying to be more spiritual.

If the devotees don't provide enough evidence then ask yourself this - if you don't pick up the rope that connects you to God then how can He pull you towards him? Make the initial effort and i GUARANTEE you will get the answer. Keep trying and He will not let you go!

As for the usefulness of TV and internet - they are great inventions, yes. When you die, can you take them with you?

From Geek.

No problem with the study of science at all. It is another way someone can meditate on the greatness of God.

Why is it someone can appreciate the work of Lockheed Martin or Sacorski in building helicopters and not appreciate God for making dragonflies and hummingbirds? Not only are the aerodynamics of birds and insects far far superior to anything man has copied from nature yet but they also are self reproducing and acquire their own sustaining energy.

Mankind also is showing an expanded intelligence in these fields. But where does the intelligence to do this work come from? We recognize the intelligence of Albert Einstein and Neil Bohr but why ignore the Intelligence behind all creation?

In other words just add appreciation for Krishna. Then your scientific inquiries can become a form of Sankya-yoga and you can make simultaneous spiritual advancement through your increased understanding of the workings of nature.

TRANSLATION Bhagavad-gita 7.10

O son of Parthä, know that I am the original seed of all existences, the intelligence of the intelligent, and the prowess of all powerful men.

Just add Krishna

When we see a vice it is very easy to argue against it. But how can we argue against virtue? Isn't virtue always good?

A virtue when taken out of proportion to other virtues can in fact create problems as bad as a vice. Today it appears all these virtues are going in all sorts of directions, rather than working conjointly towards a common goal.

So we see in science the virtue of seeking knowledge. This is in fact very good. But if we seek knowledge at the expense of other virtues like mercy, then what does it get us? We end up with a science that is ONLY scientific. Science becomes trapped in the prison of one idea - that to know and manipulate the laws of nature is the goal, regardless of its ethical ramifications.

Religion has many virtues like humility. It often tries to institute ethical guidelines through the development of tradition based on these virtues. Sometimes these traditions appear to or are interpreted as being at odds with science.

The key is not either or, but rather balancing the virtues - to pursue science with humility. Never to relinquish our humanity for the sake of knowledge, while understanding that seeking knowledge is part of our humanity. Then we'll be normal and sane.