IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Pankaja_Dasa

How do we give up offensive Mentality??

Rate this topic

Hare Krishna

I have come to know that my lack of taste and devotion is due to offences. If I am wrong in this please correct me. I am sure we are get this at start of our Krishna Consciousness. But I noticed this MOST recently. It's like a big lightbuld going off.

So I am asking humbly for devotees to submit any advice, or Guru/Sadhu/Sastra if you will. I would prefer personal advice and click/paste entries. Rather than huge pastes without any personal reply. After all this is a forum for personal interaction and realizations. Also known as devotee association.

Chanting will take us beyond the offensive stage, and through the clearing stage.Association with devotees keeps us chanting.

But association must be entered into very carefully. You may walk into a room where everyone is in Vaisnava garb and they have their hands on their beads but they are making fun at some other devotees expense or even bad talking some exalted soul who doesn't live in their camp.

What do you do? Sit down with them and partake of that energy?

Leave at once and start a similar group of your own to talk about what an offensive bunch they are?

Leave the room and wonder why you were so cursed as to ever contact that vibration in the first place while praying to Krsna that He protect you from what ever past sins brought you into that room.

This is one angle that I see.

Because each vizva = jagat = universe is enclosed by 7 layers + 1 all-encompassing false ego sliding pond, so long we remain w/i this world, someone will b offended by whatever we do.

Or as Ledbelly sang:

"We're in the same boat, brother

We're in the same boat, brother

So if u rock one end u'r gonna move the otherrrr!

'Cos we're in the same boat, brother."

That's an interesting and good point.

You could wear earplug? How about that.

Anyway I thought you not supposed to talk

and do japa at the same time. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

What about sitting outside in Morning Dawn

doing Japa.

Ideally one would be fixed on the name but in actual practice we see and have done the same thing as I described. Kind of chanting and talking.

But that is not the point I was trying to make. Sometimes we can let down our guard when we come into certain atmosheres. Like when everyone around is dressed like a devotee, appearing to be chanting or otherwise engaged, but yet the conversation may be about those dreaded sahajiyas over there, or those ritviks or those ecclesiaticals or even the wretched "karmis"etc.

To whatever degree we may be slamming an advanced vaisnava I am sure the reaction will be worse but even trying to take pleasure in the misfortunes of those perhaps less advanced will produce a mentality that is not conducive to chanting the pure name.

Pure devotees I can understand that its not right talk about. But Sahajiya? Karmis? This is not Nama-aparadha.

But then why should you while chanting Japa?

Also to be fare I do see your point. I mean constatly saying they are bad, they are also bad, etc.

I think it will hinder your progress. Difficult to say why this is, could be your own lack of faith. Or to know 'what is what'.

Ah, but that's one danger. Are you so sure that person is a sahajiya? And even if such is so very obvious why do we have a taste for talking on and on about such things? In-attentive chanting at best. And being a devotee is not a license to to try and take pleasure by running so-called ordinary people down. The same God lives in their hearts as He who lives in the heart in a cent per cent bhakta.

Devakinandan das' Vaisnava vandana:

First, to the Vaisnavas who reside in Vrndavan,

I bow in salutation at the feet of one and all;

then to the followers of Mahaprabhu, in Nilacal residing, falling at their feet,

I bow to one and all.

I bow with utmost attachment at the feet of all Mahaprabhu's voteries who dwell in Navadvipa.

I bow in salutation at the feet of all the lord's followers who abide in Gauda desh;

raising my arms in joy,

I then bow at the feet of all the followers of Gauranga in whatever province they abide.

To all the servants of the lord and all who shall as such hereafter be,

taking a clump of grass between my teeth,

I bow at the feet of them all.

Each and every one of them has the power to deliver the entire world from bondage,

thus the glory of their noble virtues are heard sung throughout the Vedas and Puranas.

The followers of Mahaprabhu are all saviours of the fallen, and hence this base sinner seeks refuge with them.

What right or power even do I have

to make salutation to them?

My sooty mind, various vices;

'tis merely another display of my false pride.

Nevertheless, the fool is fortunate,

for my heart rejoices in the thought that they,

forgiving my transgressions,

might make me their own humble servant.

Then all desires are fulfilled,

Yama's bonds are sundered,

and one plunders the rarest of treasures in this world,PREMA!

Devakinandan das eagerly declares;

all hearts's cherished hopes are accomplished without delay.

/images/graemlins/cool.gif