IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Pankaja_Dasa

Verses that make you chant!

Rate this topic

This is for anybody who doesn't like to chant, including me:

If one wants to perform austerities and penances in order to attain the supreme goal, one must attain the favor of the Supreme Personality of Godhead. If one achieves the favor of the Supreme Lord, it is to be understood that he has finished all kinds of austerities and penances and has attained efficiency in their execution. On the other hand, if one does not attain the perfect stage of devotional service, all austerities and penances actually have no meaning, for without the Supreme Lord no one can attain the highest results derived from performing them. As stated in Bhagavad-gita (5.29), Lord Sri Krsna is the master of all penances and sacrifices. Bhoktaram yajna-tapasam sarva-loka-mahesvaram. Thus the desired result of performing austerities may be derived from Lord Krsna... Even if a person is born in a family of candalas-the lowest birth one can get in human society-he is glorious if he chants the holy names of the Lord, for it is to be understood that by such chanting a devotee definitely proves that he underwent all kinds of austerities in his previous life. By the grace of Lord Caitanya, one who chants the maha-mantra (Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare/ Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare) attains the highest perfectional stage, which had previously been attained by people who entered the ocean and executed austerities for ten thousand years. In this age of Kali, if a person does not take advantage of chanting the Hare Krsna mantra, which is offered as a great concession to the fallen human beings of this age, it is to be understood that he is very much bewildered by the illusory energy of the Lord.

'Srimad-Bhagavatam 4.24.14

This is from the Namamrta site I did, all these quotes,

Although Dhruva Maharaja was only a five-year-old boy, he underwent severe austerities by eating simply dry foliage, drinking only water and taking no food. In this way, after six months, he was able to see the Supreme Personality of Godhead face to face. When he saw the Lord, he forgot all his austerities and said, svamin krtartho 'smi: "My dear Lord, I am very pleased."

Of course, these austerities were performed in the Satya-yuga, Dvapara-yuga and Treta-yuga, but not in this age of Kali. In this Kali-yuga, one can attain the same results simply by chanting the Hare Krsna maha-mantra. Because the people of this age are fallen, the Lord is kind enough to give them the easiest method. Simply by chanting the Hare Krsna mantra, one can attain the same results.

'Srimad-Bhagavatam 4.30.4

The above quote made me actually chant the hare krsna mantra !!!!!

Ps in the site when you see ... it means the Subhananda Prabhuji just missed out Purport or verse to get to the point about chanting. Sure everybody understands reason for this. He mentions that otherwise it would mean the book would get to big.

Guest guest

I dont sit and chant everyday the Hare Krishna Mahamantra, but I keep chanting in mind other Nama like Jaya Radhe Govinda, Jaya Govinda, and sometimes just Krishna Krishna even unconsciously while doing all my regular work, irrespective of anything. So does it mean that my soul already preformed all the austerities in all previous births and now longing to go back to Him?. I dont have the patience sometimes to sit and chant, but my mind never stops chanting. I am very restless at times, that He does not come in front of me, when I go to temple, or when reading Gita, or any script about Krishna, I just cry and cry and cry. Many things cannot be explained, but I dont want any more birth. In my opinion, Hell is nothing but getting into repeated birth and death cycle and Heaven is eternal abode.

Hare Krishna Dandabats

I find it almost impossible to chant in my mind. I do sometimes hum 'Jaya radha madhava', Haridasa Thakura chanted 64 Rounds in his mind! Acrarya's recommend a fix amount of rounds so that anyone may get you to the point of thinking about Krsna.

We are doing Vaidhi-bhakti. Its said in this if you are offensive Krsna doesn't' forgive you. In Raganuga-Bhakti, well let me tell you a story I heard.

In Vraj there was a krsna-bhakta {goswami} and he offered some sweetmeats to Krishna though he left out 1 Laddu. So there was this stall-holder in Vraj who kept his stall open till 2am everyday, people used to make fun, that why he keeps open so late! He just used to say one day my Krsna will come. So Krishna as Gopala {cowherd boy} 10 years old came to the stall-holder. Krishna said that I want a sweetmeat so the stall-holder happened to have some spare and gave. Gopala then gave His own bangle in exchange, even though the stall-holder said He could have for free. So the stall-holder was bit surprised to see Krsna, so late. Later on it came to be known that one of the bangle was missing from Krsna deity. And word spread to the Stall-holder, so the stall-holder went to the temple of Krsna, and he gave the bangle, still it didn't click that who gave this bangle, when Goswami Maharaja said it was Sakshad Gopala who came to see him he fainted! Anyway I find this pastime nice. The place where Krsna came is marked in Vrindavana. Although the stall in now gone.!

Also only time I cried was when I missed association of devotees or was wanting association, because its through them that Krishna manifests in my heart.

So guess why I was crying?

Guest guest

I am the same guest who wrote the first reply to your posting. I can totally beleive that Krishna comes in Disguise to His devotees, because I myself have felt that good number of times personally. He not only comes to me, but also saves my people that He made me realize last sunday when the Tsunami hit last week in south India. MY whole family that includes both of my parents, my brother, sister and her daughter who had come for vacation were all driving towards Nagapattinam on their way to Thirukadayur to worship Goddess Abhirami. They were told to visit Thirunallaru Easwaran Temple first and hence they stationed there. Before proceeding on sunday morning while my brother was approaching coastal road, they were delayed by 20 minutes in a gas station for no reason and after that he was driving towards coast. When they were about 1 km from the coast, suddenly they saw a whole crowd of thousands of people running against them, crying and running for life. My brother was stopped by an Ayappa Baktha who told him to run back since the sea has entered the land due to earth quake. Nobody could beleive what was happening and my mom is still in the state of shock and every time she says that its the Grace of Baghwan that saved all of them. (My mom reads Narayaneeyam regularly and my dad is an ardent devotee of Sree Krishna). Had they not got delayed, my brother would have taken the coast road and the whole family would have got washed off. Just before they left my home, I advised my niece to keep chanting Govinda Govinda all the time and she being a little child faithfully said she will do. I have been chanting constantly His Holy name and I am sure He (Sree-Radhe-Krishna) was the one who delayed them first and also came and stopped my people and saved them primarily not to put me in distress.

That's a wonderful story, I am happy your family was saved as I am sure you are Prabhuji. I hope all is well now. So I was wondering why you posted this then I realized its because of chanting the holy names that this occurrence took place. I was wondering about how Krsna even finds time for us. Some how He does. No idea how. Also I was thinking Krishna name and His form are absolute, so this means we can have association with Krsna through chanting His names. Later when we get to the complete purity stage we can meet in Goloka. Right now my only link is my Gurudeva. Even now I can feel that Krsna wants me to serve Gurudeva and NOT directly approach Him. I guess Krsna is keeping His own word when He says He is more pleased when we serve His devotees.

Guest guest

Thanks for your wishes and my family is safe and praying for the welfare of the others who died, who lost their family and survived and continue living. Serving Gurudeva is equivalent to serve Sree Krishna because He is the one who comes as the real Guru to impart knowledge in us. To me, He is my Guru, and also my friend. When I am confused He is my Guru, when I am in happy or sad mood, Krishna is my friend to whom I talk and when I read Gita, I always feel that He is talking to me directly.

Goodwishes