IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
SubashRao

how many types of thulasi plants are there?

Rate this topic

<font color="green" face="monotype corsiva">PAMHO</font>

Recently I saw a thulasi plant at my uncle's house...Its leaves are redish black in color....very different with the normal green thulasi i've seen before...so i've been wondering how many different thulasi plants are there and which one is the best to worship?....

Guest guest

OCimum sanctum is the sacred tulsi mentioned in Indian Puranaas. The other species is Ocimum basilicum which is also used in food preparations.

The redness of the leaf is due to the synthesis of the pigment called anthocyanin, when there is drought or infection in the plant also, but primarily synthesised for the protection of plants. The normally green color of the leaf is due to the synthesis of chlorophyll.

Whether red or green, Ocimum sanctum is the same.

Raghavan

The Tulasi plants seen most commonly are known as Krishna Tulasi and Rama Tulasi. When there's a lot of sun, Krishna Tulasi will be darker, sort of purplish, although Rama Tulasi also becomes rather reddish when she gets plenty of sun, as she does here in Hawaii.

I'm not sure I understand your question, unless you're asking whether all varieties of Tulasi are worshipable and offerable to Vishna-tattva DEities. My concise answer would be yes; as long as it's acutally Tulasi, we may benefit from serving her and using her in Krishna's service. When I lived in California, I saw plants being sold in stores as Tulasi that were really ocimum gratissimum--basil. Some Indian members occasionally brought these "tulasis" to the ISKCON center, and when I was aksed about them, I had to be gentle but honest. Here in Hawaii however, where I grew the first Tulasi plants in the West, Tulasi is grown by many folks and available in nurseries and at open farmer's markets. This drives my wife nuts because I feel an impulse to buy them so they're not offended. ("Babhru, we only have an acre; you can't take care of every Tulasi you see!")

If you want to know about the plant in the picture you've attached, that looks like a genuine Tulasi to me. And a healthy one at that.

_________

I'm not sure I understand your question, unless you're asking whether all varieties of Tulasi are worshipable and offerable to Vishna-tattva DEities.

_________

yes that is exactly my question /images/graemlins/smile.gif....so like you said, no matter what color it is as long it is Thulasi then it is worshipable right?....thanks!

is there any thulasi forest in this world? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.....imagine chanting and dancing in the middle of the forest, surrounded by millions of thulasi trees....!!!!

I dunno about forest, but you could sure find clusters of them growing together.

I had a veritable gardenful of Tulasi on my porch, until one by one they were adopted out to loving families. Ten of them were taken by the temple... I feel my girls have gone to live at their in-laws house now /images/graemlins/wink.gif

The fragrance when they flower is especially maddening. You can think that Krishna would've smelled like that, as He is always wearing Tulasi on His body. Tulasi garland, tulasi leaves on the feet...

Jaya Sri Krishna!

---------------