IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
krsna

How do you finger your japa beads whilst chanting your rounds ???

Rate this topic

One older disciple of Srila Prabhupada once said that at his initiation Srila Prabhupada instructed him to finger the beads while chanting "Hare Krsna Hare Krsna Krsna Krsna Hare Hare," and to hold the beads still between the thumb and middle finger while chanting "Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare." Srila Prabhupada told him this would help him to concentrate on Krsna.

Guest guest

How do you finger your japa beads whilst chanting your rounds ???

These instructions were given to one individual at a particular time. To answer your question though, devotion is the most important component in whatever service I may be permitted to engage in. So I try to focus on whom/what the beads represent and handle them accordingly.

Guest guest

Srila Gaurakishore das babaji Maharaj didn't chant on any beads. Nor did he follow other regulative practices. He only used to chant the holy name internally or out loud, 24 hours a day. And what he did was perfect.

For those who are new here. Maybe we should give bit more info. Sorry. Heres the verse

The Vedic rites--regulative principles {can be reffered to}

haribol

Bg.2.52

When your intelligence has passed out of the dense forest of delusion, you shall become indifferent to all that has been heard and all that is to be heard.

PURPORT

There are many good examples in the lives of the great devotees of the Lord of those who became indifferent to the rituals of the Vedas simply by devotional service to the Lord. When a person factually understands Krishna and his relationship with Krishna, he naturally becomes completely indifferent to the rituals of fruitive activities, even though an experienced brahmana. Sri Madhavendra Puri, a great devotee and acarya in the line of the devotees, says:

sandhya-vandana bhadram astu bhavato bhoh snana tubhyam namo

bho devah pitaras ca tarpana-vidhau naham kshamah kshamyatam

yatra kvapi nishadya yadava-kulottamasya kamsa-dvishah

smaram smaram agham harami tad alam manye kim anyena me

"O my prayers three times a day, all glory to you. O bathing, I offer my obeisances unto you. O demigods! O forefathers! Please excuse me for my inability to offer you my respects. Now wherever I sit, I can remember the great descendant of the Yadu dynasty [Krishna], the enemy of Kamsa, and thereby I can free myself from all sinful bondage. I think this is sufficient for me."

The Vedic rites and rituals are imperative for neophytes: comprehending all kinds of prayer three times a day, taking a bath early in the morning, offering respects to the forefathers, etc. But when one is fully in Krishna consciousness and is engaged in His transcendental loving service, one becomes indifferent to all these regulative principles because he has already attained perfection. If one can reach the platform of understanding by service to the Supreme Lord Krishna, he has no longer to execute different types of penances and sacrifices as recommended in revealed scriptures. And, similarly, if one has not understood that the purpose of the Vedas is to reach Krishna and simply engages in the rituals, etc., then he is uselessly wasting time in such engagements. Persons in Krishna consciousness transcend the limit of sabda-brahma, or the range of the Vedas and Upanishads.

Guest guest

"...When a person factually understands Krishna and his relationship with Krishna, he naturally becomes completely indifferent to the rituals of fruitive activities..."

Srila Prabhupada is telling us that once we accept Krishna and factually realize our relationship with Him through devotional service, our fate can be left entirely up to Him. We need no longer concern ourselves with self-protection or gain. Basically, this is what Sri Krshna assures His devotees in Bhagavad-gita [18.66]. He is speaking of pure devotion, of course, without any personal motivation whatsoever, material or spiritual. The key word IMHO is fruitive.