IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Ekadasi Fasting

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Devotees, I need a suggestion from someone who observes fasting on Ekadasi day (The auspicious day of Lord Shree Hari). Although I am from India, I live in US now. To break an Ekadasi fasting, for some of them, it appears that we can break the fast by giving water to a Brahmana (Nirjalaa ekadasi). This is quite difficult in the place I live in. I just offered a glass of water to Shree Krishna after being awake the whole night and chanting His name all the time, took bath early morning, lighted the lamp, chanted Vishnu Sahasranama and did the neyvedyam.

IN kali yuga, certain things are not possible as how described, due to differences in places we are in. In India, they open temples in the morning by 6 while here they open like regular office hours by 9 AM. I would like to know if it would be fine with whatever I could do and keep chanting Lord's name. My mind says anyways what can I do, So Krishna will accept me, but at the same time, want to know the actual rules and conditions at all the times that need to be followed.

Thanks

Jagdish Raghavan

Guest guest

in gaudya vaishnava sampradaya we do not generally break the ekadasi fast in that way.. it is simply recommended that we take some grain food in a certain period of the next day

so, if you are not specifically following a spiritual master who is asking specifically to you to perform this ceremony in breaking ekadasi, i can suggest that what you are doing now is good

consider also that if you have a job it could be .. ehem.. not so practical to stay awaken all night praying

Guest guest

Hi..Thanks for your reply..What is the certain period of time on Dwadasi day. Is it before 6 am or after 6 am after the sun has fully come. I understand your concern since I am working like any other people, but when ekadasi falls on friday or saturday or occassionaly like the previous one on sunday with Monday holiday, then I keep myself awake. As far as possible i try to follow whatever i hear from my parents and so they are my spiritual masters as of now in following the rituals. Still I also wanted to confirm with others as how they follow here due to different situations here unlike in India.

I really miss the temples, the morning Suprabatham and Vishnu Sahasranamam of our temples there, whose back yard has cows (in some temples and not all), with the front of temple cleaned and have a nice beautiful kolam (rangoli), lighted Tulsi mada, the temple tanks and the towers with birds and when you hear the suprabatham in a mild tone from a distance, with the priest doing the regular morning pooja inside the temple to the Deity, Oh God, you feel the presence of Shree Krishna everywhere. I am so used to those early morning worship and evening worship, things are so mechanical here in US. I realised the value of Indian culture more after coming to US. I still go the temple here about 25 miles from my residence twice or thrice in a week. There is nothing in the world that gives more happiness than being one with God all the time thinking of Him.

Thanks for your reply

JR

i know your question is about ekasdasi. about the India part, I have an altar in my house, [in spare room], and recently I cleaned it from top to bottam, I got the feeling..like a smell or something that I was in India, not that I had any incense going on, wierd..

Ps. There are many different sites which talk about Ekadasi, I asked this once to a devotee he said if anything breaking at 6am is fine, probably because its after sunrise, though here in Uk sunrise differs but in India it almost ALWAYS BEFORE 6AM, there is a calender which tells you time to break {heh} I don't like to follow it, its too much for me, breaking at 10am! haribol!

Guest guest

Hi..Thanks for the reply.. By the way what are you implying in your following sentences.?

""about the India part, I have an altar in my house, [in spare room], and recently I cleaned it from top to bottam, I got the feeling..like a smell or something that I was in India, not that I had any incense going on, wierd..""

Guest guest

Dearest Jagdish

If one subsists lovingly on fruits, leaves, flowers and water

one need not break anything .....

Raujdasi