IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
jayaisvara

What is true faith and what is blind faith?

Rate this topic

Here is the miriam-Webster on-line meaning for faith as a noun.

5 entries found for faith.

To select an entry, click on it.

faith[1,noun]faith[2,transitive verb]article of faithfaith healinggood faith

Main Entry: 1faith

Pronunciation: 'fAth

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural faiths /'fAths, sometimes 'fA[th]z/

Etymology: Middle English feith, from Old French feid, foi, from Latin fides; akin to Latin fidere to trust -- more at BIDE

1 a : allegiance to duty or a person : LOYALTY b (1) : fidelity to one's promises (2) : sincerity of intentions

2 a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust

3 : something that is believed especially with strong conviction; especially : a system of religious beliefs

synonym see BELIEF

- in faith : without doubt or question : VERILY

It feels incomplete left to the above definition. people have faith in things that ultimately fail them.

I seem to remember reading B.R. Sridhar Maharaja saying that faith is the effulgence of Radharani. Did I remember correctly.

I believe the sanskrit is sraddha. If so it must have a meaning that faith doesn't fully represent.

Guest guest

Faith in Krishna means...that u shd know that he is supreme, powerful, omnipresent, omniscient etc...many more things. Faith and Bhakti comes from Jnana i.e by reading the scriptures.

Worshipping him without knowing the above mentioned things is BLIND FAITH.

Guest guest

I missed out one more point.

God will reveal to people who worship him with Jnana sahita Bhakti and not to people who worship him with Blind Faith.

Here is how I understand when a faith is to be considered as blind and when true. Let us assume that I have faith in some source. The source may be some book, some person or any other source of information. I find something puzzling about some information from this source. I even find something, which I feel that it just cannot be true. But still I keep on saying that this must be true. This is blind faith.

I am not trying to say that true faith means immediately rejecting whatever does not make sense. True faith means trying to understand how this can be true. If somebody says something which does not make sense to us and we have true faith in that person, then we should communicate our doubts to him and request him for an explanation.

When we request him for an explanation, the request must be made with the faith that he has proper explanation. Very often it happens that when somebody says something which makes no sense to the listener, then the listener immediately jumps to the conclusion that the speaker must be wrong. Even if the listener asks for an explanation, it is done as a kind of challenge and not to really learn. Since the listener is already convinced that the speaker is wrong, the listener will not pay due attention to whatever explanation the speaker is going to give. This does not show faith in the speaker. If we have faith in him, then we must have faith that he will be able to clarify our doubts, we must put our doubts to him very submissively, and give give complete attention to whatever he says.

One more point. Some people have the habit of questioning something even if they do not find anything wrong with it. They think that it is a sign of intelligence to have questioning attitude towards everything. But I disagree completely. If our attitude is to keep on doubting some statement even if we are not able to find anything wrong with it, then no matter whatever explanations are given, we will continue to doubt. Only if some genuine doubts really arise in our mind, we should raise our doubts (not just for the sake of questioning) and we should raise our doubts submissively.

<font color="brown">

I seem to remember reading B.R. Sridhar Maharaja saying that faith is the effulgence of Radharani. Did I remember correctly.

I believe the sanskrit is sraddha. If so it must have a meaning that faith doesn't fully represent.

</font color>

If you can find this lecture please tell me.

Guest guest

"I seem to remember reading B.R. Sridhar Maharaja saying that faith is the effulgence of Radharani. Did I remember correctly."

Yes. Srimati Radharani is the master key to everything. Sri Krsna belongs only to Her and remains fully under Her control at all times. Without the approval and aid of Radha, no understanding of or relationship with Him is possible, to put it mildly.

Actually, She is much much more, but direct revelation of Krsna's inconceivable potency requires individual surrender in order to realize Her in the highly personal way necessary. Only then can genuine bhakti begin.

Guest guest

True faith is faith that has been actually realized personally. Blind faith is that which depends on another's vision. The latter may hopefully lead to the former, but "many are called and few are chosen". Accepting our absolute need of His Divine Grace and feeling the inability to even survive without Her is a good start.

I don't know the difference between faith and blind faith, can someone please explain this to me in detail?

I hope this is a help to all: when we accept the word of God as it is and believe it to be true and sound, that is blind faith without proof. True faith is when we read God's word, pray and ask him for understanding and revelation, and he then show us through actual events in our own lives his awesome power, ability, and love, we then can walk in true faith. Example: healing is in the word but until we experience him healing us or a loved one of some severe sickness or disease without man's medicines and intervention, it gives us tangible proof that he does heal, thus reinforcing our faith.