IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Futuristic Indian Sci-Fi: Paani

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Shekhar Kapur has lifted the veil on his next production, describing it as a futuristic Blade Runner- type script based on India's haves and have nots.

On the eve of his departure to Milan, where he is shooting a commercial, Kapur says he will be looking for Indian actors and actresses. The script for Paani will be written by Kapur and Oscar-nominated scriptwriter Andrew Niccol (The Truman Show). A R Rahman will score the music.

"We are not sure whether to make it in Hindi and English or just Hindi," he said.

"The design is very futuristic, almost Blade Runner-ish. The story is based 60 years from now when water has run out. Water becomes a currency. And the rich have whatever water is available."

Kapur said he first thought of the theme when he was making Bandit Queen. This will be his first India-based film since that movie. "It is my ambition to take India to the world stage with my films. There will be Indian actors. Rahman is doing the music."

Hoping to book the best international talent available, Kapur said Gill Bilcock, editor of The Truman Show, Moulin Rouge and Road To Perdition, will be a part of his team. Ditto for production designer John Myre (Elizabeth, X-Files, Chicago).

The cinematographer is yet to be decided. "I am not sure whether we will take an Indian or foreign director of photography," Kapur, who is also busy with a project for Fox Films, said.

Paani is expected to hit screens in 2004.