IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Govindaram

"Prabhupada, it wasn't me!"

Rate this topic

_________

Prabhupada's Bhagavatam classes are always a treat...like the best sweet ball! We hang onto every word, and he seems to speak to each of us at the same time, personally. After class I would ask others and they would say the same thing. It seems that he addresses everyone's issues and questions, and is able to answer the most prominent issues on their minds. If I wonder about a philosophical point, that day it seems that the verse is focused on that very issue!

One morning in 1972 Prabhupada greets the Deities as usual. When the curtains open he pays his obeisances to each Deity at each altar, with everyone following behind. As he relishes the carnamrita on that day something out of ordinary happens. He stops the usual procedures of the ceremony and asks in such a frightening voice that we all cringe in fear, "Who is in charge?I must speak to the head pujari." Someone put salt in the caranmrita by mistake, instead of sugar. The head pujari receives a serious chastisement from Prabhupada. It creates such a heavy atmosphere in the temple room...unlike the usual joyous mood. We all question why he chastises Shilavati, after all she is not the person who salted the Deities' bath water! We are instructed that it is the responsibility of anyone in charge to accept the consequences of actions of those who serve under them. If someone takes the responsibilty to lead others, they must also accept reactions for their mistakes.

In Deity worship there is much mercy from Their Lordships, but a certain standard must be maintained!! Anyone in an administrative position must be willing to accept the reactions for anamolies committed by the disciples who serve under their guidance. There have been cases where this principle is not honored and people have tried to blame others, excluding the blame of the administrators. But, Prabhupada's view remains the same. If you choose to accept the postition of a leader, you should be willing to accept the consequences that go with the post. Also, this incident revealed the serious nature of worshipping the Deities without offenses.

Sometimes in our conditioned state we may fail to comprehend the level of purity and dedication required in order to please the Deities, and Prabhupada. The class resumes after this interruption--but, it leaves a lasting impression on me. Especially the look on Shilavati's face when Prabhupada asked for her, since she thought she hadn't done anything herself!

During one other class I got the opportunity to iron Prabhupada's clothes so they could be ready for him after the Bhagavatam lecture. I listened to him over the PA system in the LA temple sewing room. I hear his transcendental voice drifting over the morning air and as I iron his silk garments, suddenly this cloud of aromatic scents surrounds me! It seems like I have been catapulted into an aura of sublime transcendental sense pleasure. The smells of sandalwood, and mustard oil and hints of lotus flowers creates a feeling of bliss-- and I can feel my heart melting! I have never smelled anything to compare to that, while ironing someone's clothes. It seems that everything about Prabhupada is out of the ordinary! That's the day Prabhupada says, "I guarantee that if you chant 16 rounds daily, and follow the principles you will go Back to Godhead in this life!But, you must chant your rounds or Krishna will not accept your service." Without Prabhupada's instructions we would not be able to do anything in Krishna's service. We are lost without his guidance. We can barely understand the purports he has written in the Srimad Bhagavatam; without his insights we are like fish merely flapping around when out of water. The one thing I really like is that Prabhupada had so much love to give all of us. He could really make us feel welcome in Krishna's World. There is no "us and them" among Prabhupada's disciples, for him. For Prabhupada, Krishna is there for all to love and serve. Even the ones who try and fail, even those can learn to please Prabhupada one day. For Prabhupada, the trying is success...and his patience and love for us is unending!

by Pournamasi.

"We are instructed that it is the responsibility of anyone in charge to accept the consequences of actions of those who serve under them. If someone takes the responsibilty to lead others, they must also accept reactions for their mistakes"

yes, the failures of our organization are ultimately the failures of the management. that is the Aryan concept. in contrast, the ignorant barbarians simply blame the lowest level of the chain of command.

Guest guest

Doesn't it say somewhere in CC that it is "best to not accept any disciples" or something to that fact. It shows you the great mercy of Srila Prabhupada that he would accept so many disciples when in Kali-yuga it is better to not accept disciples. - a.m.