IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

Where is shelter to be found?

Rate this topic

This week’s Srila Siddhaswarupananda television program addresses the question “Where is shelter to be found?”

If one of these children, like this small Tulsi Manjari Dasi, her body is so small and weak compared to someone like Tim with a big body. Can she exist alone? If you were to put her on the street what would happen? On the streets of Waikiki. No imagine there are no police in Waikiki and there are wild dogs and rats. So it is like a jungle. Each of us thinks we have it together.

I have education, beauty, strength, money. I think I have many places of refuge in the jungle. This material world is like a jungle and practically speaking we are powerless.

There are those people into positive thinking who believe they can control their environment. But actually perfect spiritual existence starts with understanding that we are like small children. We are powerless against death, disease, old age, demonic people. We are overcome by so many powerful forces.

Now if this child is alone she cannot protect herself. It is not possible even with positive thinking. This analogy is not perfect but the point is that just like small children we must find protection. You must realize how small you are in the face of the illusory energy. To be protected you must take shelter of someone who can offer real protection.

This little girl would be crying in the Alamaona shopping center. There is candy, clothing, food. But she will not be alright until she finds her mother or father. So we must learn to cry for our real father. We are overcome by lust, ignorance, greed, anger, and enviousness.

Everyone is always in anxiety. Sometimes the burning is very hot sometimes not so hot. But the burning is always there. You can’t avoid it by taking shelter in material goods. Not through entertainment, food, or gossip. This just covers the anxiety. They will go into a sort of daze staring in the fridge or the television like zombies.

They just want to sit and forget. It is like, we’ve given the example before, of the ant in the toilet bowl. He can’t get up the side. He just goes round and round. He can’t get out except with the help of someone. This is our situation. We are like the ant in the toilet and we know at any moment it will go ‘flush’.

But there is protection. In fact we are the children of God. He can very easily pick us up. If we want to take shelter and surrender to Him then He will immediately accept. Spiritual life means surrendering to God. My heart is burning so I am crying for You. Please give me shelter. I have no one else to turn to.

The great Acharyas tell us to love the Supreme Person. Do His will. Take shelter of Him. Jesus taught this. Caitanya Mahaprabhu taught this. All the Acharyas teach this. Don’t try to live separately from God. Spiritual life is not about going to the temple. Real religion is the personal experience of surrendering to God. Its not Hinduism, Mohammedism, not Christianity, not Buddhism.

Its not something you can join or quit. When you take shelter than you are religious. Nothing else matters. Religion means surrender to God. You realize how small you are. Then you take surrender. Only someone who goes through the personal experience of full surrender is religious.

A person must know how to take shelter of God. Instead of trying to temporarily forget our suffering it is better to chant God’s names. Don’t take shelter of the mall, food, or gossip. Simply chant God’s names. In the privacy of your room and heart you must do this. We are taught to come together and chant congregationally. But it is also an individual activity.

So if you aren’t experiencing surrender to Krishna then you cannot know Him. As long as you think you are happy and you’ll just chant a little ‘Hare Krsna’ this is not advancement. I can’t go any further without surrendering to God. I have to pray and surrender. This is the beginning of spiritual life.

"Its not something you can join or quit."

ooooH, I like this.

"Only someone who goes through the personal experience of full surrender is religious."

Hmmm, I guess this is not talking simply about verification or our "moments" we get from time to time, but something more substantial.

"So if you aren’t experiencing surrender to Krishna then you cannot know Him. As long as you think you are happy and you’ll just chant a little ‘Hare Krsna’ this is not advancement. I can’t go any further without surrendering to God. I have to pray and surrender. This is the beginning of spiritual life."

Yeap, there it is.

Guest guest

I found this particular lecture quite enlightening, compassionate, and very nectarian. Hare Krsna, ys, mahaksadasa