IndiaDivine.org

Srimad Bhagavatam Reading

Rate this topic

sudhaya

Hare KRSNA

I am reading the Bhagavatam, and it takes a long time, to read the Sanskrit verses, then the word-for-word.

In the opinion of devotees here would it be ok to read the Translation and the Purport, and for now skip the Sanskrit and word-for-word?

I want to read it quickly, have an idea of it, then read again later,

Please tell me your opinions.

Guest guest

Are you going somewhere?

The essence of reading the scriptures is to understand & apply the teachings/philosophy in our lives. So its ok skip the Sanskrit verses and read/understand the translation and purport. But it is also good to repeat the words (verses) spoke by the Lord and the Sages.

If you are reading S.Bhagavatam for the first time, you may as well do it properly, which is read the verses than the translation and purport.

The second time when you want to read it again, you can skip reading the sanskrit verses.

Hare Krsna.

Sometimes I like to play the SB tapes of Amala Bhakta das just reading the English verses. I'll even put on a tape and read along while I ride my excercise bike. Other times I'll just read the translations myself. On yet other occasions I'll just focus on one verse and spend most of the time on the purport.

I don't feel I get anything from the sanskrit but I know others do.

Just remember you are a person and not some office machine.

Just keep reading.

Thats the advice I needed, reminded while reading your post of when Srila Prabhupada caught his disciple reading Srimad Bhagavatam, and His Divine Grace smiled so big, he was just pleased at this small thing, the disicple said.

I'll just read.

By Gauridasa Pandita Dasa

<font color="green"> "Reading Srimad Bhagavatam" </font color>

Vrndavan India June 1977. I used to take Srila Prabhupada's paraphelnelia to translate his books up to the rooftop before sundown every evening. Part of the roof was covered and part was open and there is an inside room also and a bathroom. Srila Prabhupada would come up just at about sunset to start his translation work for the night.

My duty was to set up everything at Srila Prabhupada's desk and then guard it so the monkeys wouldn't run off with anything. The monkeys in Vrndavan are notorious for stealing things and going to the market place to trade their goods for bananas. They toss things to the vendors who toss back some fruits. These things are still going on! One evening as I was waiting for Srila Prabhupada's arrival I sat there reading the Srimad Bhagavatam. All of the sudden Srila Prabhupada entered so I put the book on his desk and offered my obeisances. When I rose up Srila Prabhupada asked me what I was reading. I replied that it is your Srimad Bhagavatam 4th Canto part 4. Srila Prabhupada then smiled bigger than any other time the whole 4 months I was with him. He turned to his secretary and said,

"He's reading in his spare time; this is very good!"

I was elated. Such a simple thing was so pleasing to His Divine Grace. Simple living and high thinking - ki jai! All the times when I watered his window mats with a low presure hose in the scorching heat and did so many menial services I never got such a smile as when he caught me reading in my spare time. All glories to the book Bhagavata and the person Bhagavata! Now that we don't have the physical presence of Srila Prabhupada we can still serve the books; and thus make him,ourselves, and others, supremely happy.

---

http://members.aol.com/Gauridas/index.htm