IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

what would bring Krishna to more people?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hare Krishna

I recently bought the complete Prabhupada DVD collection and have spent a lot of time watching this footage. I am a new devotee, so this was the first video footage I ever saw of Prabhupada. Watching him hand out cookies to the children and the look of pure devotion from his devotees has brought me to tears on more than one occasion.

I attend a temple in Southern California and notice that there are not very many devotees regularly attending temple services.

Obviously Prabhupada has left his body long ago, so it will not be what it was then, but what can be done to revive the movement?

I was raised catholic and went to one festival and have been a devotee ever since. If only more people could see what I see in Krishna and when I am at the temple, reading Prabhupadas books, etc...

Does anyone have any input to this topic?

Haribol

A.

Prabhupada was convinced to the core. That is why he could convince others. His intelligence was one pointed and fixed on serving Krishna.

"the intelligence of the irresolute is many branched"

Most of us are mixed devotees. We are carrying a variety of goals along with us. So we won't be able to fully inspire others until we are totally inspired.

That will come.

I really like Theist Prabhu's answer. Most any other answer would be just a tertiary followup.

I believe Srila Prabhupad came at a time when people's minds were very fertile for spiritual enlightenment. As many Americans took to Krsna consciousness, people from other nations followed suit.

Today, we live in a time where people are jaded. Tolerance for unconventional forms of spirituality is much lower than it was during the 1960's and 1970's. The cost of living is now significantly higher.

I think Krsna consciousness will experience a resurgence, but probably at a time when our style of living has significantly changed, and everyone is looking for illumination of the spirit.

what would bring Krishna to more people?

prabhupada in his last days in our planet says that "varnashrama is essential" (you can see it in the disappearance video)

most of times saints at the end of their lifes speak of esotheric things, angels, mystics, paradises, universe and so on. But prabhupada, the greatest saint, speaks of varnashrama or:

"the way to reach god turning our place in the society.... to devotional service"

so we can do many things, expansion plans, festivals, open temples and so on.. and it is good, wonderful.. but the main way to spread krsna consciousness is:

1)to remain in our place in society (as krsna instruct arjuna in the bhagavad gita)

2)to chant hare krsna mahamantra constantly (as a concession at least 16japa rounds a day)

3)to take shelter of a pure uttama adhikari vaishnava acharya

4)to avoid as more as possible dirty, violent and intoxicating activities who can disturb our concentration in hare krishna chanting

5)to associate as more as possible with the vaishnavas

in this way, without having to make separate efforts to control our mind or to change our personality, we will gradually purify ourselves and we will reach the transcendental plane : SAT (real life, eternity), CIT (consciousness, knowledge) and ANANDA (happiness, bliss)

the other people will see our happiness, our steady, constant happines because we are following both dharma and sanatana dharma, nature and soul.

No illusions, no delusions, no repression and no frustrations.

And happiness is a virus, everyone wants to be happy, so they gradually will want to follow us and become happy like us.

(personally i do not agree on the fact that krsna consciousness now is not strong or it is not spreading, and i do not think that, apart the presence of srila prabhupada in the 70', the "old times" were in all the aspects better than now. First of all the illusion that everyone has to live at the temple, to became forcefully a brahmin, brahmachari, sannyasa, to renunciate of his place in the society to follow krsna consciousness, is ended or almost ended. People accept krsna consciousness procedure and almost all remain happily in the society preaching to others with the example. This, in my opinion, is slowly implementing the sanatana dharma,

from this everything starts, also temples, brahmacharis, sanniasis, brahmanas, harinamas, gurukulas, book distribution and so on)

in my opinion of course

(i am sorry, but my english is not so good and i have to use a simple, redundant and rude style to explain my thoughts, surely appearing fanatic and apparently acting as a teacher,

it is not my purpose, i appreciate all the vaishnavas in the forum and i feel myself very ignorant when i read all the competent aswers that you are able to give.... vancha kalpa tarubyas cha)

(personally i do not agree on the fact that krsna consciousness now is not strong or it is not spreading, and i do not think that, apart the presence of srila prabhupada in the 70', the "old times" were in all the aspects better than now. First of all the illusion that everyone has to live at the temple, to became forcefully a brahmin, brahmachari, sannyasa, to renunciate of his place in the society to follow krsna consciousness, is ended or almost ended. People accept krsna consciousness procedure and almost all remain happily in the society preaching to others with the example. This, in my opinion, is slowly implementing the sanatana dharma,

Yes you are right Yashodanadana, there has been maturity in many areas. But unfortunately there has also been a marked decline in enthusiasm. Of course this is a broad generalization to which there are many exceptions.

Maybe if we developed more of an attitude that Prabhupada is still present that would help.

Hey your English is fine prabhu, relax.

Guest guest

"so we can do many things, expansion plans, festivals, open temples and so on.. and it is good, wonderful.. but the main way to spread krsna consciousness is:

1)to remain in our place in society (as krsna instruct arjuna in the bhagavad gita)

2)to chant hare krsna mahamantra constantly (as a concession at least 16japa rounds a day)

3)to take shelter of a pure uttama adhikari vaishnava acharya

4)to avoid as more as possible dirty, violent and intoxicating activities who can disturb our concentration in hare krishna chanting

5)to associate as more as possible with the vaishnavas"

Having been there done that since way back then, I have to agree with everything you said, prabhu. Slow but sure is always best. Enthusiasm should not be confused with fanaticism. The living association of Srila Prabhupada undoubtedly empowered us. A great movement was explosively expanded, but now is the time for that widespread planting to be carefully nurtured, one on one. Most everyone has heard of the "Hare Krsnas", however knowing devotees in a more personal way [as co-workers for example] will help develop increasingly positive acceptance over time.

Preaching without actually practicing has gotten many of us into all kinds of trouble and the well-publicized falldowns of several in authority caused chaos throughout the ranks. Prabhupada certainly had his own unique role to play and still does, through his books and tapes, however we must accept that because others may not be him doesn't mean they have any less value overall. Only a very few pure devotees find themselves in the official guru role, let alone acharya, yet all serve in their own ways. Simply by realizing our true selves and remaining Krsna conscious, each can be used by Lord Caitanya.

With Easter fast approaching, I'm thinking of those that crucified Jesus Christ and can't help qustioning if they [we?] aren't the same ones now glorifying him as the exclusive savior and "the only way". Kill the guru then conveniently glorify him, never actually surrendering personally, then or now. How convenient to place his murti on a pedestal and identify oneself as his faithful and exclusive follower, when he himself is no longer present to correct or admonish in person, face to face.

I appreciate especially your advice to chant constantly, something we can all do or at least try to. The Holy Names are specifically for this age of quarrel and hypocrisy, thus They are unstoppable and ALWAYS easily accessible one way or another. Also, the personal living association of vaisnavas remains essential for further progress and to avoid others because they apparently don't measure up to Srila Prabhupada is just another excuse not to surrender, in my opinion.

BTW, your english is fine and you make your points very well, here and elsewhere on this forum. Thank you.

Guest guest

But prabhupada, the greatest saint"

Only the ego thinks in terms of great and small. Give up your ego, surrender to Krishna. Nobody can claim to be great, not even sp.

Guest guest

In defense of Srila Prabhupada, he never claimed personal greatness, in fact I heard him say that if he actually loved Krsna, he would not be here at all.

Saintliness is a state of being while guru/acharya is a role. Either way, both are dependent on His Divine Grace which cannot be confined to any one body, nor controlled by anyone.

The glory of love and devotion is expressed through Srimati Radharani controlling Krsna, as shown in all Their Goloka Vrndavan pastimes. Gaudiya Vaishnava devotees give all glories to Her and consider themselves always subservient.

That said, it is quite natural for disciples to consider their own gurdeva the greatest, and objectively who can argue with what Srila AC Bhaktivedanta Swami accomplished in the short time he was with us?

Still I agree that we must surrender our egos in service to Sri Sri Radha-Krsna, though that doesn't mean erasing them, at least not to vaishnavas.

"But prabhupada, the greatest saint"

Only the ego thinks in terms of great and small. Give up your ego, surrender to Krishna. Nobody can claim to be great, not even sp. "

i am sorry if my message seems sectarian .. it is not so... all the pure devotees of the lord, being manifestations of the greatest, they're also the greatest

there's no competition between the vaishnavas , my intention was not to use prabhupada as an intrument to promote my ego

i am sorry, i hope to have explained better

would bring ppls to Kc.

Did for me.

Free food, holding programmes as much as possible in every town and village.

You know being diplomatic using the Government for our own purposes, making them give us Tax!

We are a Charity organization in need of money, welfare work, so we need money to spead KC, show us the money!

We would change ppls so much, 'they' would be happy, more peacefull country, town. village, what more could you want?

Then after we do this, we can slowly bring in Varna (before as well) and direct the Government,

Am I dreaming? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yes, but that's OK. Conception begins in the mind. We are all willing to dream the world into a glorious state, its the down to earth, sleeves rolled up work that blocks us.

in my opinion everything starts from personal change, not from programs or strategies

if we go at the government without being real devotees (=followers of krsna in the varnshrama system) it will be a great disgrace

and if we follow varnashrama system it is not that devotees have to change their varna becaming politicians... but who is already politician (=ksatrya) has to accept krsna consciousness and apply the "ashrama(=spiritual consciousness, chanting, initiation and so on)" to his "varna (nature, destiny, guna, karma)"