IndiaDivine.org

How to desire Krishna purely?

Rate this topic

krsna

Desire is the subtle form of conditioning.

I am today what I desired yesterday.

so if I have any problems with the way I am situated

then I should look closer at my desire

What is it that drives me at every breath I take

every step I make?

My history is my desire record

especially my call/cry to the Holy Name

Krishna will give my heart's desire.

Yes?

I should approach the Holy Name,Nama Prabhu in the proper way in order to get the soul real heart's desire;prema:

otherwise the Holy name can even fulfill my material desires for name ,fame and adoration quite easily.

However if i cry ,a soul cry

I mean pitiously wailing sob call

as when I was calling mamma at 2 yerrs old

then Krishna well come to me in sweet love dalliance.

Yes?

Guest guest

it is not possible to control desires, they comes from mind and mind cannot be controlled by us

only mahamantra/krishna can control our mind and change our desires

the example is the story of druva maharaja

Harinama: Holy Name of the Lord

Based on the Harinama-cintamani by Bhaktivinoda Thakura, chapters 1-2

Karma, jnana and yoga ineffective in Kali-yuga

The holy name is both the means and the end

The spiritual identity of the holy name

Two kinds of the holy name

Three levels of chanting

The pure name and namabhasa: different results

Vyavadhana or 'disruption' causes offense (aparadha)

Overcoming namabhasa and attaining prema

Only the faithful are eligible to chant the omnipotent holy name

Types of prayers

Karma, jnana and yoga ineffective in Kali-yuga

The Satya-yuga sages who took up the process of meditation were personally purified by Krsna and given the treasure of devotional service. In the Treta-yuga, the same spiritual success crowned those who flawlessly performed opulent sacrifices to satisfy the Lord. In the Dvapara-yuga, He granted devotion to those who adhered to the path of perfect Deity worship. With the advent of the present age, Kali-yuga, Lord Krsna saw the dreadful condition of the jivas (living beings) and relinquished all hope in the processes of karma, jnana and yoga. People in the Kali-yuga are short-lived, always harassed by disease, and are born with a weak body and mind. The observance of varnasrama-dharma and the cultivation of sankhya philosophy, yoga, and empiricism will not yield the strength humanity needs to redeem itself.

Indirect devotional paths of jnana and karma are intended to lead one to the shrine of devotional service through either the association of saintly persons during philosophical discussions, or by the ritualistic offering to the Supreme Lord of the results of work performed without desire but in Kali-yuga both paths have become contaminated. Genuine saintly persons, now rarely seen, have been displaced by crass, commercial pseudo-spiritualists. Religious duties are no longer performed for purifying the consciousness but for enjoyment of the material results of the rituals. Therefore these secondary paths are no longer beneficial.

The Lord, considering the jivas' welfare, descended in Kali-yuga along with His holy name to propagate the yuga-dharma (the religion of the age). By taking up the yuga-dharma the jiva attains love of Krsna: he has only to remember the Supreme Lord's name (nama-smarana or japa) and chant the Lord's name congregationally (nama-sankirtana).

The holy name is both the means and the end

The only method or means (sadhana) in this age is the holy name of the Lord. The only goal (sadhya) to be attained in this age is Krsna-prema (love of Krsna). Even in the stage of perfection, the name is not given up but is chanted all the more, for it is intrinsic to the activities of prema. Indeed, the name is not different from the Lord: it is the very embodiment of prema. If the means is the end, then the end and the means never contradict one another. If process is identical to the objective, then it is easy for the jivas to attain the desired goal of life, Krsna-prema. By the mercy of His holy name, Krsna easily delivers the jivas in the age of Kali.

The spiritual identity of the holy name

Lord Krsna and His holy name are not different; They are the one and same Absolute Truth who is the all-pervading yet supremely independent form of dynamic spirituality (caitanya vigraha), fully cognizant and full of bliss, without beginning or end. Eternally free of material imperfection (nitya mukta), always situated in pure goodness (suddha sattva), the holy name, identical (abhinna) with He who is denoted by the name (the nami, or Krsna), descends to this world as the complete incarnation of the highest sweetness (rasa).

Two kinds of the holy name

The holy name can be categorized in two types: principal and secondary. By taking shelter of Krsna's principal names, the jiva obtains the real boon of spiritual life. The holy names of the Lord that describe His transcendental pastimes and which contain all of the Lord's spiritual excellences are defined as principal names. They are, for example: Govinda, Gopala, Rama, Sri Nandanandana, Radhanatha, Hari, Yasomati Pranadhana, Madana-Mohana, Syamasundara, Madhava, Gopinatha, Vrajagopala, Raksala, Yadava, and so on. Anyone who chants the names of the Lord that depict His eternal pastimes can attain the Lord's supreme abode.

The Vedas address the Lord with names that describe His affiliation with His material energy. These are His secondary names, e.g. Creator, Supersoul, Brahman, maintainer and annihilator of the world, Yajnesvara, Hara, etc. Such names of the Lord are invoked by those pursuing fruitive activities and empirical knowledge. In keeping with the Vedic directions, the chanting of such names of the Lord will result in piety and salvation. However, Krsna-prema, the most perfect result of chanting the holy name of the Lord, is attained only by saintly souls who invoke Krsna's principal names.

Three levels of chanting

1. Chanting with offenses (aparadha) 2. Chanting in the clearing stage (namabhasa) 3. Chanting of the pure name (suddha-nama)

The pure name and namabhasa: different results

If the holy name is chanted just once, though impurely so, or if the sound is simply heard, then the living entity regardless of his high or low caste is immediately liberated. This is the declaration of scripture. And furthermore, when the holy name is chanted in the clearing stage (namabhasa Ä the stage when impurities are swept from the heart of the chanter), then the highest goal is attained after some delay.

All other auspicious pious results including liberation can be quite easily achieved in namabhasa, but the attainment of love of Godhead is suspended for a while until the jiva reaches the summit of chanting the pure name or suddha-nama. In namabhasa, sin and unwanted desires in the heart are eventually dissipated; thereafter the devotee chants purely. Suddha-nama offers the devotee the highest spiritual success, love of Krsna.

Vyavadhana or 'disruption' causes offense (aparadha)

Chanting should be free from any form of disruption because this will result in offenses against the holy name, which in turn pose an insurmountable obstacle on the path to success. Vyavadhana or 'disruption' is of two kinds.

The first type is known as varna-vyavadhana or disruption in the syllables. For example, in the Bengali word 'hathikari', 'ha' and the last syllable 'ri' can be put together to form 'Hari', a name of Krsna. But because the syllables 'thi-ka' are inserted in the middle, the repetition of 'hathikari' will not give actual benefit. Yet the Arabic word 'haram' is not perverted by such disruption of the syllables or varna-vyavadhana. The syllables comprising the holy name 'Ram' are uninterrupted; hence, speaking the word 'haram' gives liberation because it is namabhasa.

The second type of vyavadhana is called tattva-vyavadhana or disruption of philosophical conclusions. This offense is much more serious. Lord Krsna's name and Lord Krsna Himself are non-different. But someone who is polluted by Mayavadi philosophy imagines them to be separate. Such an offensive conclusion is clearly against all Vedic teachings and will totally destroy one's spiritual life. It is impossible to obtain Krsna-prema from such chanting. In summary, one should understand properly that the holy name is identical to the Lord Himself. The principal names of Krsna should be chanted as suddha-nama, devoid of namabhasa and the aparadha of vyavadhana. The person who takes these considerations to heart and chants suddha-nama even once is considered a Vaisnava. He is to be served with faith and devotion.

Overcoming namabhasa and attaining prema

Anyone wanting to attain the highest spiritual success of chanting purely must approach a bonafide spiritual master and serve him carefully and sincerely. He must become free from deceit, join Lord Krsna's family of devotees and continuously chant the holy name. He should accept everything favorable for devotional service and at the same time reject unfavorable things. He should seek out the association of devotees and utilize his life in service to the Lord's holy name and the Vaisnavas. He should forgo all other religious practices and pious activities and never worship any other devata. Nor should he think anything to be independent from Krsna.

Gradually, as all the anarthas or unwanted desires in the heart are destroyed, the transcendental name of Krsna appears and dances on the tongue of the devotee. The holy name, now nectarean in taste, cannot but be relished by the devotee at every moment. Thus spiritually intoxicated, the devotee always feels like dancing. As the holy name dances, the devotee likewise dances, and at that moment the ecstasy of love of Godhead also enters dancing into the devotee's heart. Then the entire world will dance and maya will flee away.

Only the faithful are eligible to chant the omnipotent holy name

The Supreme Lord has infused His transcendental name with all of His potencies and offered it to humanity. One who has sufficient faith in Lord Krsna's name is eligible to chant, and only one who chants the name is properly executing the prescribed duties of the human being. He is called an adhikari or possessor of the holy name.

The holy name is so potent that chanting does not depend on conditions of time, place, rules, cleanliness, and so on. Pious activities, such as the giving of charity, the performance of sacrifices, the taking of ablutions, or the recitation of Vedic mantras are all regulated by stringent rules. But for the chanting of the holy name, the only prerequisite is faith. One who takes shelter of the holy name with unflinching faith will attain all perfection.

--

Types of prayers

(from Gaudiya Vaisnava Abhidhana)

1. Samprarthanatmika - direct prayer glorifying the Lord. We have many examples of this type of prayer in Narottama Dasa's Prarthana.

2. Svadhainyabodhika - expressing humility and embarrassment, informing the Lord: I am very fallen.

3. Manah-siksa - examples are Bhajahu Re Mana by Govinda das or Manah-siksa by Raghunatha das Gosvami. In this type of prayer the mind becomes a disciple and we teach it how to deal with the senses and relate to intelligence. We consider the mind a separate entity and tell it: Pull yourself together! Meditate on Krsna! The challenging spirit of intelligence becomes manifest. One function of the intelligence is to challenge the mind.

4. Vilapatmika - statements of supreme lamentation. This may be confusing; we hear the devotees are always happy, so how can a devotee lament? But this kind of lamentation is a type of devotional ecstasy - it draws a devotee closer to Krsna.

5. Vaisnava Mahimaprakasika - revealing the greatness of the Vaisnavas. Krsna doesn't want to be considered separately from the Vaisnavas, therefore we can please Him by glorifying them.

6. Sri-Guru-Vaisnava-vijnapti-rupa - statements of submission and glorification of the Vaisnavas, especially of the guru. The example is Bhaktivinoda Thakura's Ohe! Vaisnava Thakura.

7. Sridhama-vase-lipsatmika - expressing the desire to live in the holy places. There are many prayers of this kind, composed by Prabodhananda Sarasvati, glorifying Sri Vrndavana. In one of them he says: Anyone who desires to leave Vrndavana I consider to be a madman.

8. Sadhaka-dehe-lalasa-sucika - expressing the desire to practice devotional service.

9. Siddha-dehe-lalasamayi - desire to attain siddha-deha and serve Krsna in this spiritual body.

10. Aksepabodhika - lamentation again: extreme grief and sorrow that we have fallen to this material world.

We can see that out of the ten types of prayers listed, three express feeling "bad." So these feelings are not useless. They can be incorporated into devotional service. We shouldn't think: First let me become a pure devotee, free from all lamentation, no problems - then I can come before the Lord and offer nice prayers. No. A pure devotee feels his deficiency so he comes before the Lord and prays.

Yuga Dharma

Self-realization for the current age.

In the age of Kali, intelligent persons perform congregational chanting to worship the incarnation of Godhead who constantly sings the name of Krsna. Although His complexion is not blackish, He is Krsna Himself. He is accompanied by His associates, servants, weapons and confidential companions. (srimad bhagavatam 11.5.32)

In this age of Kali there is no other means, no other means, no other means for self-realization than chanting the holy name, chanting the holy name, chanting the holy name of Lord Hari. (brhan naradiya purana 3.8.126)

Lord Caitanya said: "In as many towns and villages as there are on the surface of the Earth, My holy name will be sung." (caitanya bhagavat)

My dear king, although Kali Yuga is an ocean of faults, there is still one good quality about this age: Simply by chanting the Hare krsna maha-mantra, one can become free from material bondage and be promoted to the transcendental kingdom. (S.B.12.3.51)

Whatever result was obtained in Satya Yuga by meditating on Visnu, in Treta Yuga by performing sacrifices, and in Dwapara Yuga by serving the Lord’s lotus feet can be obtained in Kali Yuga simply by chanting the Hare Krsna maha-mantra. (S.B.12.3.52)

The fundamental religious system in the age of Kali is the chanting of the holy name of Krsna. Unless empowered by Krsna, one cannot propagate the sankirtana movement. (caitanya caritamrta 7.11)

Pure love for Krsna is eternally established in the hearts of the living entities. It is not something to be gained from another source. When the heart is purified by hearing and chanting, the living entity naturally awakens. (C.c. Madhya 22.107)

KRSNA & CAITANYA, IDENTICAL

Lord Krsna said, "In Kali Yuga, when the sankirtan movement is inaugurated, I shall descend as the son of Saci Devi. By the Ganges shore in Navadvip in a brahmana’s house, I shall appear as the best of the brahmanas." (vayu purana)

Peaceful at heart, His neck long and His complexion fair, the Supreme Lord will appear as Gauranga, surrounded by His devotees. (agni purana)

Lord Krsna said, "My plenary portions can establish the principles of religion for each age. No one but Me, however, can bestow Vraja prema, the kind of loving service performed by the residents of Vraja. (C.c. Adi 3.26)"

Lord Krsna said, "Sometimes I personally appear on the surface of the world in the garb of a devotee. Specifically, I appear in the Kali Yuga to start the sankirtan movement." (brahma yamala)

It was also related by Gargamuni, the priest who performed the name giving ceremony for Lord Krsna five thousand years ago, "This boy has appeared before in three colors: red, white and yellow…" (S.B.10.8.13)Yellow in this case represents Lord Caitanya, who appears in Kali Yuga with a golden complexion.

Lord Caitanya is directly Krsna as proven by the voluminous Vedic scriptures. Krsna in the garb of a devotee descended in Kali Yuga as Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu.

O most munificent incarnation! You are Krsna Himself appearing as Sri Krsna Caitanya Mahaprabhu. You have assumed the golden color of Srimati Radharani, and You are widely distributing pure love of Krsna. We offer our respectful obeisances unto You. (sri gauranga pranama)

"A neophyte student who is not sufficiently educated or enlightened should not indulge in the worship of Sri Radha and Krsna or the chanting of the Hare Krsna mantra. Even if he does so, he cannot get the desired result. One should therefore chant the names of Nitai-Gaura and worship Them without false prestige.[.] Considering the position of the people of this age, however, the chanting of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu's name is more essential than the chanting of the Hare Krsna maha-mantra because Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu is the most magnanimous incarnation and His mercy is very easily achieved."

Srila Prabhupada in Cc Adi-lila 8.31 purport

In the Gitavali, Thakura Bhaktivinoda says:

namaparadham sakalam vinasya

caitanya-namasrita-manavanam

bhaktim param yah pradadau janebhyas

tam gauracandram pranamami bhaktya

"With devotion I bow before Lord Gauracandra, who for they who take shelter of His own names like Caitanya, Gaura etc. destroys all the ten offenses to the holy names of Krsna, and awards them the pure transcendental devotional service unto Lord Krsna."

In Sri Caitanya-caritamrta, Madhya-lila 1.41 purport, it is stated: "According to specific pastimes, the names are spiritually empowered. "

Also Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura describes in the Hari-nama-cintamani, Chapter Two:

ei rupa nityalila-prakasaka nama;

e-saba kirtane jiva paya krsna dhama.

"The names of the Lord which reveal His eternal variegated pastimes are known as His principle names. Anyone who specifically chants these names of the Lord will surely attain the Lord's supreme abode."

Thus these 100 Names of Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu are very very special because They fully describe His superexcellent pastimes beginning from His appearance in Sri Navadvipa-dhama till His later pastimes as a sannyasi in Sri Jagannatha Puri. Also one gets the mercy of Srila Nityananda Prabhu (the original spiritual master) by reciting these names because they have originated from Him. Thus by reciting these 100 names everyday with a simple heart, one will get a full vision of the Lord's pastimes performed throughout His presence on this planet and gradually one will become absorbed in those pastimes. The ultimate result will be that such a person will become qualified to enter into those pastimes and personally enjoy with the Lord eternally.

The only qualification required to achieve the maximum benefit from the chanting of these 100 names is described as follows:

kutinati chada mana karaha sarala;

gaura-nama laya labhe sarva phala.

"If one chants these names of Lord Gaura with a simple and non-duplicitous mind and heart, then he will very quickly achieve the fruit of the fulfillment of all his desires."

Therefore one can conclude that it will for the great benefit of all the seekers of the Absolute Truth to loudly recite this Sri Krsna-Caitanya-Sata-Nama-Stotram daily, preferably in front of a picture or Deities of Sri Sri Nitai Gauranga, before beginning the chanting of the Hare Krsna maha-mantra. This will ensure the complete success of even the most neophyte spiritual aspirant in the chanting of the Hare Krsna maha-mantra. The furthur benefits of chanting this Stotram have been described in the Sri Caitanya-Sata-Nama-Stotra Mahatmyam at the end.

nadiya-nagare nitai nece' nece' gay re

In the towns and villages of Nadiya (Sri Navadvipa-dhama), Lord Nityananda (Lord Balarama) ecstatically dances and sings these most auspicious one hundred names of Lord Sri Krsna Caitanya Mahaprabhu:

RECITATION BEGINS

(Note: All the 100 Names are in stanzas comprising of two lines and each line of the Stanza can be sung in any simple melody followed by the next line. The translations and the numbers are for the reference of the chanter so that he can remember the meaning of each name while reciting them. The translations need not be recited with the daily recitation of the 100 Names once the meanings are understood.)

(1)jagannatha-suta(2)mahaprabhu(3)visvambhara

(4) mayapura-sasi (5) navadvipa-sudhakara

(1) Lord Caitanya is the beloved son of Sri Jagannatha Misra. (2) He is Mahaprabhu, the greatest master of all the living entities. (3) He is the maintainer of the whole creation. (4) He is the shining moon of Sri Mayapura, and (5) the source of all nectar for the residents and the land of Sri Navadvipa.

(6) saci-suta (7) gaurahari (8) nimai-sundara

(9) radha-bhava-kanti-acchadita (10) natabara

(6) He is the beloved son of Sri Saci Mata, and (7) is Lord Hari with a fair golden complexion. (8) As He was born under a nim tree He is called Nimai-sundara (beautiful Nimai). (9) He is covered by the sentiment and luster of Srimati Radharani, and (10) He is the best of all dancers.

(11)namananda(12)capala balaka(13)matr-bhakta

(14)brahmanda-vadana(15) tarki (16) kautukanurakta

(11) He becomes restless and blissful upon hearing the holy names of Lord Hari. (12) In His boyhood pastimes He is swift and agile, and (13) is always devoted to His mother. (14) He displays the entire universe within His mouth, (15) is the greatest logician, and (16) is greatly fond of joking and playing pranks.

(17) vidyarthi-udupa (18)caura-dvayera mohana

(19)tairthika-sarvasva(20)gramya-balika-kridana

(17) He is the moon among all the scholarly students, and (18) He bewildered two thieves who tried to steal His jewels when He was a small child and took them for a ride. (19) He is the cynosure of all philosophers, and (20) He teased and joked with the village girls of Nadiya in His childhood.

(21) laksmi-prati bora-data (22) uddhata balaka

(23) sri-sacira pati-putra-soka-nibaraka

(21) He is the giver of the desired blessings to Srimati Laksmi-priya (His first wife) when He saw Her for the first time on the banks of the Ganges.

(22) He is very mischievous as a child, and (23) is the dispeller of the grief Saci-mata felt after losing her husband Jagannatha Misra and first son Visvarupa (who took sannyasa).

(24) laksmi-pati (25) purva-desa-sarva-klesa-hara

(26) digvijayi-darpa-hari (27) visnu-priyeswara

(24) He is the Lord and husband of Laksmi-priya. (25) During His travels, He removed all the distress of East Bengal (Bangladesh). (26) He eradicated the pride of the conquering pandita named Kesava Kasmiri, and (27) is the beloved Lord of Srimati Visnupriya (His second wife and energy).

(28) arya-dharma-pala (29) pitr-gaya pinda-data

(30)puri-sisya(31)madhvacarya-sampradaya-pata

(28) He is the preserver of sanatana-dharma (the eternal religion of the soul which is to serve and love God), and (29) the giver of the pinda oblation to the forefathers at the holy town of Gaya after the disappearance of His father Jagannatha Misra. (30) He accepted Sri Isvara Puri as his spiritual master, and (31) is the protector and maintainer of the Brahma-Madhva-Gaudiya- sampradaya.

(32)krsna-namonmatta(33)krsna-tattva-adhyapaka

(34) nama-sankirtana-yuga-dharma-pravartaka

(32) He becomes madly intoxicated by tasting the nectar of the holy name of Krsna, and (33) is the ultimate professor of the science of Krsna consciousness. (34) He inaugurated the religion for the age of Kali, which is called nama- sankirtana i.e. congregational chanting of the names of Krsna.

(35) adwaita-bandhava (36) srinivasa-grha-dhana

(37) nityananda-prana (38) gadadharera jivana

(35) He is the dearmost friend of Srila Advaita Acarya, (36) the treasure of Srila Srivasa Thakura's home, (37) the life and soul of Srila Nityananda Prabhu, and (38) the very source of life for Srila Gadadhara Pandita.

(39) antardvipa-sasadhara (40) simanta-vijaya

(41) godruma-bihari (42) madhyadvipa-lilasraya

(39) He is the moon of Antardvipa (the central island of Navadvipa), and (40) the triumph of Simantadvipa. (41) He enjoys wandering and frolicking on the island of Godruma, and (42) is the shelter of the pastimes in Madhyadvipa.

(43) koladwipa-pati (44) rtudwipa-maheswara

(45) jahnu-modadruma-rudradwipera iswara

(43) He is the Lord of Koladvipa, (44) the great controller of Rtudvipa, and (45) the master of Jahnudvipa, Modadrumadvipa, and Rudradvipa.

(46) nava-khanda-ranganatha (47)jahnavi-jivana

(48) jagai-madhai-adi durvrtta-tarana

(46) He is thus the Supreme Lord and Enjoyer of the nine islands of Navadvipa, which serve as the stage for His wonderful pastimes. (47) He is the life of the River Ganga, and (48) the deliverer of all sorts of rogues and rascals beginning with Jagai and Madhai.

(49) nagara-kirtana-simha (50) kaji-uddharana

(51)suddha-nama-pracaraka(52)bhaktarti-harana

(49) He is the lion of congregational chanting, and (50) the deliverer of Chand Kazi. (51) He is the topmost preacher of the pure holy name, and (52) the remover of the distresses of His devotees.

(53) narayani-krpa-sindhu (54) jivera niyanta

(55)adhama-paduya-dandi(56)bhakta-dosa-hanta

(53) He is the ocean of mercy for Narayani (the mother of Srila Vrndavana dasa Thakura) who got His remanants, and (54) is the regulator of all souls. (55) He is the chastiser of the fallen students who criticized His chanting of "gopi! gopi!", and (56) is the destroyer of the faults of His devotees.

(57) sri-krsna-caitanya-candra (58)bharati-tarana

(59) parivraja-siromani (60) utkala-pavana

(57) He was initiated into sannyasa with the name of Sri Krsna Caitanya, and He is beautiful like the moon. (58) He delivered His sannyasa-guru Kesava Bharati, (59) is Himself the crest-jewel of all wandering renunciates, and (60) is the savior of the region of Orissa during His stay in Jagannatha Puri.

(61) ambu-linga-bhuvanesa-kapotesa-pati

(62) khir-cora-gopala-darsana-sukhi yati

(61) He is the master of Lord Siva, who is known in three different Saiva tirthas as Ambu-linga, Bhuvanesvara, and Kapotesvara (visited by Lord Caitanya on His way to Jagannatha Puri). (62) As a sannyasi He rejoiced at the sight of the Orissan deities Ksira-cora Gopinatha and Saksi Gopala.

(63)nirdandi-sannyasi(64)sarvabhauma-krpamoya

(65)swananda-aswadanandi(66)sarva-sukhasroya

(63) He became a sannyasi without a danda (due to Lord Nityananda's breaking it in three parts and throwing it in the Bhargi River), and (64) is the bestower of causeless mercy on Srila Sarvabhauma Bhattacarya. (65) He is ecstatic by tasting the bliss of Himself in the form of Krsna, and (66) He is the resting place of all universal happiness.

(67) purata-sundara (68) vasudeva-trana-karta

(69)ramananda-sakha(70)bhatta-kula-klesa-harta

(67) He is beautiful like molten gold, and (68) He is the deliverer of the leper Vasudeva. (69) He is the most intimate friend of Srila Ramananda Raya, and (70) the remover of all miseries for the family of Srila Vyenkata Bhatta.

(71) bauddha-jain-mayavadi-kutarka-khandana

(72)daksina-pavana(73)bhakti-grantha-uddharana

(71) He is the refuter of the atheistic arguments of the Buddhists, Jains, and Mayavadis. (72) He is the savior and purifier of South India, and (73) He found and revealed the two devotional literatures, Krsna-karnamrta and Brahma-samhita.

(74) alala-darsananandi (75) rathagra-nartaka

(76) gajapati-trana (77) devananda-uddharaka

(74) He became ecstatic at the sight of the deity Alalanatha (near Puri), and (75) He danced exuberantly in front of the Jagannatha cart during the Ratha-yatra festival. (76) He delivered Gajapati Prataparudra, the King of Orissa and (77) is the savior of Srila Devananda Pandita.

(78) kuliya-prakase dusta paduyara trana

(79)rupa-sanantana-bandhu (80)sarva-jiva-prana

(78) By His appearance at Kuliya He forgave and delivered the ill-behaved student community there. (79) He is the eternal friend of Rupa and Sanatana Gosvami, and (80) the life of all souls.

(81)vrndabanananda-murti (82)balabhadra-sangi

(83) yavana-uddhari (84) bhatta-ballabhera rangi

(81) He is the personification of the bliss of the transcendental realm of Vrndavana, and (82) He is the companion and friend of Srila Balabhadra Bhattacarya. (83) On His return from Vrndavana He delivered many Mohammedans, and (84) He is very fond of intimate exchanges with Srila Vallabha Bhatta.

(85) kasivasi-sannyasi-uddhari (86) prema-data

(87) markata-vairagi-dandi (88) a-candala-trata

(85) He delivered the Mayavadi sannyasis of Kasi headed by Prakasananda Sarasvati, and (86) He is the bestower of love of God. (87) He is the chastiser of the false renunciates (monkey-like pretenders), and (88) He is the savior of everyone down to the lowest class of men.

(89)bhaktera gaurava-kari (90) bhakta-prana-dhana

(91) haridasa-raghunatha-swarupa-jivana

(89) He is the glorifier of His devotees, and (90) is the treasured wealth of their lives. (91) He is the very life of the exalted devotees like Srila Haridasa Thakura, Srila Raghunatha Dasa Goswami, and Srila Svarupa Damodara.

(92) godruma-pati (93) gora (94) nitai-jivana

(95)vrndavana-bhava-vibhora(96) advaitera dhana

(92) He is the Supreme Master of the island of Godruma. (93) He posseses a golden complexion and (94) is the very life of Srila Nityananda Prabhu. (95) He constantly remains overwhelmed with the ecstatic moods of Vrndavana, and (96) is the supreme treasure of Srila Advaita Acarya.

(97) gadadhara-prana, (98) srivasa-sarana,

(99)krsna-bhakta-manasa-cora(100)kali-yuga-pavana

(97) He is the life-breath of Srila Gadadhara Pandita, (98) the shelter of Srila Srivasa Pandita, (99) the thief of the hearts of all the devotees of Lord Krsna, and (100) the supreme purifier of the degraded age of Kali.

RECITATION ENDS

Sri Caitanya-Sata-Nama-Stotram Mahatmyam

(The Glories of chanting these 100 Names of Lord Gaura, optional for recitation daily)

ity etat kathitam nityam, satam nama-sundaram;

goloka-vasino visnor, gaura-rupasya sarnginah.

"In this way ends the recitation of the hundred most beautiful names of Lord Visnu, who resides in Goloka Vrndavana, who holds the Sarnga bow, and who has now appeared in the golden form of Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu.

idam gaura-sata-namam, amayaghnam sucapaham;

bhukti-siddhi-pradam nrnam, govindakarsakam param.

"The recitation of this poem, known as the hundred names of Lord Gaura, permanently cures the disease of repeated birth and death, frees the chanter from all lamentation, and fulfills all desires including the desires for material enjoyment and mystic powers. The chanting of this poem ultimately attracts the attention of Lord Govinda Himself.

yah pathed pratar uttaya, caitanyasya mahamanah;

sraddhaya parayopetah, stotram sarvagha-nasanam;

prema-bhaktir harau tasya jayate natra samsayah.

"It is recommended that upon rising in the morning, one faithfully approach and recite this transcendental sin-destroying prayer to Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu. One who does so will feel the awakening of pure ecstatic devotion unto Lord Hari; of this there is no doubt.

pratah-kale ca madhyahne, sandhyayam madhya-ratrike;

yah pathet prayato bhaktya, caitanye labhate ratim.

"In one chants this prayer with devotion in the morning, noon, sunset, or in the middle of the night, He will surely attain devotion and attraction for Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu.

asadhya-roga-yukto 'pi, mucyate roga-sankatat;

sarvaparadha-yukto 'pi so 'paradhat pramucyate.

"By reciting this prayer even if one is afflicted with an incurable disease, one becomes freed from all danger of the ailment. Even if one has committed all types of offenses and sins, one becomes immediately freed from their effects on reciting these names.

vancha purna samsiddhim, labhate natra samsayah;

ante caitanya-devasya smrtir bhavati sasvati.

"The chanter of this poem achieves the fulfillment of his innermost desires and ultimately all perfection in life. And at the time of death, he will attain the divine rememberance of Lord Caitanyadeva and thus enter into His eternal blissful pastimes in the spiritual world.

sa klesa-rahito bhutva, prapnuyat sva-mano-ratham;

turnam caitanya-devasya, karuna-bhajanam bhavet.

"The person who loudly recites these names will become free from all kinds of misery and attains the fulfillment of his most cherished desires. Very soon he will become the object of the mercy of Lord Caitanyadeva.

namatmako gaura-devo, yasya cetasi vartate;

sa sarvam visayam tyaktva, bhavanando bhaved dhruvam.

"One who allows Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu to appear within His heart in the form of these 100 holy names, will become able to give up the poison of material existence and become filled with ecstatic love for the Lord."

Lamenting prayer to NAM

With a happy heart one should re-collect the meaning and form of NAM and should pray to Krishna with a heart-rending lamentation and this will draw the grace of Krishna which will lead him onward in the path of BHAJAN ; or else, births will pass in vain like Karmis and frustrated Jnanis .

The yoked and the free

Those who are bent on BHAJAN may be divided into two distinct classes . Some bear only the burden, others appreciate the real worth of things. Those who long for enjoyment or for self-destroying salvation and are attached to worldly affairs are only yoked to the heavy load of virtue, wealth, enjoyment and salvation-they are unaware of the fact that Prem is the best sap . So, such loadbearers fail to progress in BHAJAN inspire of their utmost strivings, whereas the essence-seekers aiming at Prem-tatwa very soon reach the longed for ultimate. They are called Prema-rurukshu (those who earnestly strive for ascending up to the region of Prem) ; they alone can in a very short time ascend up to the sphere of Prem or easily become Paramahansas. Thus when he, who so long simply did bear burdens only, learnt to love the Truth in the company of Sadhus and soon also turns to long for Prem .

Posted Image

A Few Glimpses of the Lotus Feet of Srila Bhaktididdhanta Sarasvati Prabhupada

By

His Divine Grace Om Visnupad Srila Bhakti Promod Puri Goswami

Once Srila (Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakura) Prabhupada was viewing the Deities of Sri-Sri Guru Gauranga-Gandharvika-Giridhari at the Sri Caitanya Math, standing on the front porch of the temple. The door of that temple is not very wide and Srila Prabhupada did not have his glasses on.

Standing next to him was one of his dear disciples. The disciple thought perhaps Prabhupada could not view the Deities very well through the narrow doorway. He said, "Prabhupad, this doorway is not very wide. So it is not possible to view the Deities very well from inside." Hearing this, Prabhupad smiled, and he said for the benedit of all of us, "We should not think of the Supreme Lord as an object of our vision. Instead we should meditate on the thought of how we can acquire some qualifications so we can become worthy objects of His vision. We should think about whether He wants to see us, and whether He will want to reveal Himself to us.

atah sri-sri krsna-namadi na bhaved grahyam-indriyaih

sevonmukhe-hi jihvadau svayam-eva spuratyadah

(Bhakti-rasamrta-sindhu, "The holy name, form, qualities, and pastimes of Sri Krishna are divine and transcendental. They cannot be experienced by material senses. The Lord manifests Himself spontaneously on the tongue of a devotee who is eager to serve Him." Just as a devotee waits to see the Lord with great patience and eagerness, sometimes the Lord also waits with great patience and eagerness to see His devotee. It is described in the Caitanya-caritamrta how the hidden Deity of Gopal in Vrindavan was waiting for His beloved devotee, Sri Madhavendra Puri.

bahu-dina tomara patha kari niriksana

kabe asi madhava ama karibe sevana

(Sri Caitanya-caritamrta Madya-lila 4.39)

For many days I have been watching the road for you, and I have been wondering, 'When will Madhavendra Puri come here to serve Me?'" In this way the Supreme Lord, who succombs to His devotee's love, waits to see His devotee with great eagerness.

bhaktera dravya prabhu 'kari' kari' khaya

abhaktera dravya prabhu 'ulati' na caya

"The Lord will grab food from His devotee, but He will not even glance at anything given by a non-devotee." This is why the eagerness to serve Him in loving devotion has to be present.

Srila Prabhupada's loving devotion for the lotus feet of his Gurudev is beyond our comprehension. At one time he told us, "When I used to think that I was a big scholar of mathematics and philosophy, by my good fortune I got darshan of the lotus feet of Sri Gurudev. He ignored everything that was previously appreciated in me by others: my truthfulness, my moral and pious life, and scholarship, knowing them to be of little value. When he ignored whatever was good in me, I realized how good he himself was, he who could ignore so many "good qualities" in me; what inconceivable wealth there was in him. Being ignored by him, I realized that there was no one more fallen than me, more contemptible than me, and that this was my real identity. This great soul did not consider the things which I considered to be highly desirable, such as scholarship and pure moral character, to have any value. Then I realized what was in this great soul was absolutely priceless. I prayed very humbly to the Supreme Lord for His mercy. Later, by the mercy of the Supreme Lord, I realized that without receiving the mercy of this great soul and serving him, nothing good could happen to me.

When I realized that and acted accordingly, by taking shelter of the lotus feet of Sri Gurudev and by receiving his unlimited causeless mercy, I considered my life fulfilled. I have understood that if the people of the world do not receive the same jolt that I received from my Gurudev, then their consciousness will not awaken.

Therefore I am telling everyone, 'I am more stupid than anyone else in the world; please, all of you, do not be stupid like me. Do not live your life within the limitation of a calculating consciousness. Please enter the realm of the unlimited, and you will become very wealthy. I am only asking you to accept that which I have understood, by the causeless mercy of the Supreme Lord, to be supremely beneficial.'

In another place he wrote, "Even after seeing Srila Gaur Kishore Das Babaji, many people, the immature and the clever, the young and the old, the scholarly and the foolish, those lacking devotion and those proud of their devotion, did not have the proper transcendental vision to see him. This is the transcendental power of a pure devotee. Hundreds of people came to him for his instruction, to fulfill their material desires. But that instruction was actually deceiving them. Many people take the garb of sadhus, and many people outwardly act like sadhus, but in reality, not only are they not sadhus, but they are very far from any sadhu. But there is no such impurity in my Lord. By his own example he demonstrated that purity was truth.

His genuine affection was incomparable to anything in this world. He had no dislike for his competitors or his enemies. Even to those who received his mercy, he did not demonstrate any external favor. He used to say "In this world there is no one who is the object of my liking or disliking. I consider everyone to be respectable."

Another inconceivable thing was that often deceitful, materialistic people whose mood was unfavorable to pure devotion, would surround my Gurudev without understanding his real position. They considered themselves objects of his affection yet kept their attachment to petty things. But he did not outwardly make any effort to get rid of them, nor did he accept them in any way.

On the 29th of October, 1934, Srila Prabhupad discovered the place of pilgrimage where Srila Rupa Goswami saw Sri Gopal in the village of Sati-gara in Mathura. I remember in 1935, starting from the 8th of October, Srila Prabhupad observed Sri Damodar-vrata on the bank of his beloved Sri Radha Kunda. Every day he gave lectures on Srimad Bhagavatam, Sri Caitanya-caritamrta, Upanishads, and other holy scriptures. Every day he would circumambulate Sri Radha Kunda and would hear or talk about the eight daily pastimes (asta-kaliya-lila ). At this time, to properly serve Sri Vraja-mandal, he started regular meetings preaching the glories of Sri Vraja-Dham (Sri Vraja-Dham Pracarini Sabha ).

How much he loved talking about Krishna is inconceivable. He would talk about Him for hours on end, and if anyone asked or even gestured for Srila Prabhupad's prasad to be brought in, he would be displeased. There were times when his disciples requested him not to talk very much, being so instructed by experienced doctors. If anyone would ask him how he was, Srila Prabhupad would answer,

"I am fine. My only disease is that I am not allowed to talk about Krishna."

He use to say, "To wake up one sleeping soul, to make one conditioned soul aware of his real identity, one should be willing to give gallons of blood."

Srila Prabhupad was extremely affectionate to his disciples, and if he found out any one of them was bewildered by Maya he would shed tears. In confronting those who had a demoniac mentality, he was deadly like a thunderbolt. Yet in his loving relationships his heart was softer than a flower. In any of his Maths, if any of his servants had to face a difficulty due to lack of money, Srila Prabhupad used to take great care to send that money as soon as he heard about it. He could not bear the thought that a devotee had to undergo hardships due to lack of money. He used to become very concerned if he heard of any devotee being ill. His affection could not be compared with that of millions of fathers and mothers.

If we were ever sad and miserable, as soon as we sat near him, all sadness went away due to the shower of his unlimited affection. Even his chastisement seemed very sweet.

"Srila Prabhupad has chastised me," we would say with great pride, and considered ourselves to be very fortunate. All difficulties in our service were made worthwhile a million times over when we could see the signs of pleasure on his affectionate lotus face. What we felt can be expressed by this verse of Srila Bhaktivinode Thakura in his book Sarangati:

tomarasevaya duhkha haya yata, seo ta' param sukha

seva-sukha-duhka parama sampada, nasaye avidya-duhkha

The suffering that comes from Your service is also our supreme happiness. Both the suffering and the happiness that come from Your service are our greatest treasure, and they destroy the miseries that come from ignorance.

If we could not properly perform some service which had been ordered by Srila Ourudev, it would cause us great sadness. Our service to Srila Gurudev seemed to consist of everything: devotion, worship, meditation, realization, austerity, and sacrifice. He was most dear to Krishna. Therefore, if we could somehow bring him some satisfaction, we considered that the highest fulfillment of our devotional practice.

If Srila Prabhupad went away from us for a few days, our hearts would ache in separation. We would think day and night, "When will he come back again?"

Alas! How many years have passed since he left this planet! How am I spending my days in this long separation from him? Why is my soul still living here? For the sake of what kind of happiness? Perhaps due to my offenses to the holy name and at the lotus feet of Srila Prabhupad, my heart has become hard like a thunderbolt and it does not feel any pain anymore. If I really loved him, how could I live this worthless life here? 0 merciful lord, please protect this fallen servant of yours. Even though I'm so fallen, so sinful, and so deviated from the path of devotional service, please pick me up and put me at the shelter of your lotus feet.

Once you did give me shelter at your lotus feet, considering me the servant of the servant of your servants. We also got the assurance that if necessary, you would come here again and again to rescue the fallen souls, like myself. 0 merciful Gurudev, your heart is so full of affection! Please forgive all the offenses I have committed at your lotus feet, knowingly or unknowingly. The day before you left us, I clasped your lotus feet on my chest, and you looked at me with eyes full of affection. Please remember that. I am stupid, ignorant, bereft of scriptural knowledge; I do not know what is good or bad for me. Please correct me and make me worthy of your service. Please make me understand what my faults are and what my offenses are, so I will have the privilege of serving you.

Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu said to Murari Gupta,

sei bhakta dhanya, ye na chare prabhura carana

sei prabhu dhanya, ye na chare nija-jana

durdaive sevaka yadi yaya anya sthane

sei thakura dhanya tare cule dhari ane

(Sri Caitanya-caritamrta, Antya-lila 4.46-47)

Glorious is that devotee who does not give up the shelter of his Lord, and glorious is that Lord who does not abandon his servant. If by chance, a servant falls down and goes somewhere else, glorious is that master who captures him and brings him back by the hair.

You gave me the Tulsi beads so I could offenselessly take the holy name. But alas, I am still indifferent to that. My worshipable Godbrothers, who are all my wellwishers, have set such examples for me by their own actions, but I was not inspired by that. I do not have the desire to take the holy name, what to speak of having love for the holy name. Have I been deprived of the mercy of the holy name due to my offenses at your lotus feet and the lotus feet of the Vaisnavas? 0 merciful Prabhupada, please give me love for the holy name. Please inspire me. Let those lotus feet of yours, which I had the good fortune to hold to my chest and which are more cooling than millions of moons, be installed and be worshipped in my heart for all eternity. This is my only prayer to you.

Posted Image