IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Govindaram

Maya Television

Rate this topic

Hare Krishna

www.asitis.com/2/67.html PURPORT

Unless all of the senses are engaged in the service of the Lord, even one of them engaged in sense gratification can deviate the devotee from the path of transcendental advancement. As mentioned in the life of Maharaja Ambarisa, all of the senses must be engaged in Krsna consciousness, for that is the correct technique for controlling the mind.

---

Should we ween ourselves slowly off the Maya-box?

No we need to run as fast as we can - loudly chanting the Lord's names!!

Television is an extreme disturbance to the mind - look at all it portrays - sex, violence, drinking, on and on.

How can the mind stay undisturbed when distrubing scenes are being thrown into our eyes at lightning speed. Think about it...you want to try to follow the four regs right? Ok....how easy is that when scenes of naked and half naked people are being shown even in commercials? Sex and violence are the staples of television.

Even children's shows have McDonald's commericals!!! Violence!

My television now sits totally idle until I pop in one of my Krishna films or dvds.

You feel the urge to turn on the tube....pick up your beads instead.

Hare Krishna Jaya Prabhupada!

After prayers, family members may be watching the Maya-Box, Instantly I feel like 'thats horribe'. But after a while it seems sweet. Its not like a trick anybody can percieve this, but desire to watch is still strong.

2 Deep verses:

<font color="red"> "My Treasure Nityananda"</font color>

from Prarthana by Narottama Dasa Thakura

1) My treasure is Lord Nityananda, my master is Lord Gaura-Chandra, and my very life-force is the youthful Divine Couple of Vraja. My strength is Advaita Acarya, my family is Gadadhara Pandita, and Narahari Sarakar is my very activity.

2) My playful bath is taken in the dust from the feet of the devotees, and my satisfaction is in hearing and speaking the names of the Vaisnavas. My contemplation time is spent relishing the nectar of devotion, highlighted by periodic quotations from the Srimad-Bhagavatam.