Rate this topic

Bhagavad-Gita 9.14

Always chanting My glories, endeavoring with great determination,

bowing down before Me, these great souls perpetually worship Me with

devotion.

Bhagavad-Gita 10.9

The thoughts of My pure devotees dwell in Me, their lives are fully

devoted to My service, and they derive great satisfaction and bliss from

always enlightening one another and conversing about me.

Bhagavad-Gita 10.25

Of the great sages I am Bhrgu; of vibrations I am the transcendental

om. Of sacrifices I am the chanting of the holy names (japa), and of

immovable things I am the Himalayas.

Srimad-Bhagavatam 1-1.1.14

Living beings who are entangled in the complicated meshes of birth and

death can be freed immediately by even unconsciously chanting the

holy name of Krsna, which is feared by fear personified.

Srimad-Bhagavatam 1-1.2.17

Sri Krsna, the Personality of Godhead, who is the Paramatma

(Supersoul) in everyone's heart and the benefactor of the truthful

devotee, cleanses desire for material enjoyment from the heart of the

devotee who has developed the urge to hear His messages, which are

in themselves virtuous when properly heard and chanted.

Posted Image

Srimad-Bhagavatam 6.3.22

etavan eva loke 'smin

pumsam dharmah parah smrtah

bhakti-yogo bhagavati

tan-nama-grahanadibhih

"Devotional service, beginning with the chanting of the holy name of the Lord, is the ultimate religious principle for the living entity in human society."

Posted Image

Srimad-Bhagavatam 11.5.32

krsna-varnam tvisakrsnam

sangopangastra-parsadam

yajnaih sankirtana-prayair

yajanti hi su-medhasah

"In the Age of Kali, intelligent persons perform congregational chanting to worship [Lord Caitanya,] the incarnation of Godhead who constantly sings the names of Krsna. Although His complexion is not blackish, He is Krsna Himself. He is accompanied by His associates, servants, weapons, and confidential companions."

Posted Image

Srimad-Bhagavatam 11.5.36

kalim sabhajayanty arya

guna jnah sara-bhaginah

yatra sankirtanenaiva

sarva-svartho 'bhilabhyate

"Those who are actually advanced in knowledge are able to appreciate the essential value of this Age of Kali. Such enlightened persons worship Kali-yuga because in this fallen age all perfection of life can easily be achieved by the performance of sankirtana."

Posted Image

Srimad-Bhagavatam 12.3.51

kaler dosa-nidhe rajan

asti hy eko mahan gunah

kirtanad eva krsnasya

mukta-sangah param vrajet

"My dear king, although Kali-yuga is full of faults, there is still one good quality about this age: simply by chanting the Hare Krsna maha-mantra, one can become free from material bondage and be promoted to the transcendental kingdom."

Srimad-Bhagavatam 12.3.51-2

kaler dosa-nidhe rajann

asti hy eko mahan gunah

kirtanad eva krsnasya

mukta-sangah param vrajet

krte yad dhyayato visnum

tretayam yajato makhaih

dvapare paricaryayam

kalau tad dhari-kirtanat

"The most important factor in this Age of Kali, which is an ocean of faults, is that one can be free from all contamination and become eligible to enter the kingdom of God simply by chanting the holy names. The self-realization that was achieved in the Satya millennium by meditation, in the Treta millennium by the performance of different sacrifices, and in the Dvapara millennium by worship of Lord Krsna can be achieved in the Age of Kali simply by chanting the holy names, Hare Krishna."

Srimad-Bhagavatam last verse

I offer my respectfull obeisances unto the Supreme Lord,

Hari, the congregational chanting of whose holy names

destoys all sinfill reactions, and the offering of obeisances

unto whom relieves all material suffering.

Posted Image

Sri Caitanya-caritamrta, Ådi-lila 3.40

kali-yuge yuga-dharma-namera pracara

tathi lagi' pita-varna caitanyavatara

"The religious practice for the Age of Kali is to broadcast the glories of the holy name. Only for this purpose has the Lord, in a yellow color, descended as Lord Caitanya."

Sri Caitanya-caritamrta, Antya-lila 4.71

tara madhye sarva-srestha nama-sankirtana

niraparadhe nama laile paya prema-dhana

"Of the nine processes of devotional service, the most important is to always chant the holy name of the Lord. If one does so, avoiding the ten kinds of offenses, one very easily obtains the most valuable love of Godhead."

Posted Image

Sri Caitanya-caritamrta, Ådi-lila 17.22

kali-kale nama-rupe krsna-avatara

nama haite haya sarva-jagat-nistara

"In this Age of Kali, the holy name of the Lord, the Hare Krsna maha-mantra, is the incarnation of Lord Krsna. Simply by chanting the holy name, one associates with the Lord directly. Anyone who does this is certainly delivered."

Posted Image

Kali-santarana Upanisad

hare krsna hare krsna

krsna krsna hare hare

hare rama hare rama

rama rama hare hare

iti sodasakam namnam

kali-kalmasa-nasanam

natah parataropayah

sarva-vedesu drsyate

"After searching through all the Vedic literature one cannot find a method of religion more sublime for this age than the chanting of Hare Krsna."

Posted Image

Brhan-naradiya Purana

harer nama harer nama

harer namaiva kevalam

kalau nasty eva nasty eva

nasty eva gatir anyatha

"In this age of quarrel and hypocrisy the only means of deliverance is

chanting of the holy name of the Lord.

There is no other way.

There is no other way.

There is no other way."

harinama para ye ca

ghore kali-yuge narah

te eva krtakrtyasca

na kalir badhate hi tan

hare kesava govinda

vasudeva jaganmaya

itirayanti ye nityam

na hi tam badhate kalih

"In this dark age of Kali-yuga, sincere devotees of the Supreme Lord should leave aside all other means for liberation and take full shelter of the holy name. This is their real responsibility and duty. There is unlimited bliss in chanting the different names of Krsna: Hari, Kesava, Govinda, Vasudeva and Jaganmaya. For one who chants constantly with unflinching faith, he remains unaffected by the reverses of Kali-yuga, because his heart has become purified by chanting."

hari-nama-para ye ca

hari-kirtana tat parah

hari-puja-para ye ca

te krtarthah kalau-yuge

"Those who engage in chanting the holy name of Lord Hari (japa), are addicted to congregational chanting (kirtana) and engage in the worship of Lord Hari, have accomplished their desires in the age of Kali."

Posted Image

Visnu Purana: 6.2.17

dhyayan krte yajan yajnais

tretayam dvapare 'rcyan

yad apnoti tad apnoti

kalau sankirtya kesavam

"In this age there is no use in meditation, sacrifice and temple worship.

Simply by chanting the holy name of Krishna- Hare Krishna, Hare

Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare/ Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama

Rama, Hare Hare-one can achieve perfect self realization."

Visnu Purana

dhyayan krte yajan yajnais-

tretayam dvapare rcayan

yadapnoti tadapnoti

kalau samkirtaya kesavam

"The supreme goal which was attained in Satya-yuga by years of prolonged meditation; in Treta-yuga by performing extensive yajnas; in Dvapara-yuga by opulent and scrupulous Deity worship; in Kali-yuga the same results are easily had simply by the chanting of the holy name."

Posted Image

Padma Purana, Uttara Khanda 42nd Chapter

dhyayan krte yajan yajnais

tretayam dvapare 'rcayan

yad apnoti tad apnoti

kalau sankirtya kesavam

"Whatever is achieved in Satya-yuga by meditation, in Treta by offering ritual sacrifices and in Dvapara by temple worship is achieved in Kali-yuga by chanting the names of Lord Kesava congregationally."

Padma Purana

satyam kaliyuga vipra

sri harer nama mangalam

param svastyayanam nrnam

nasty-eva gatir anyatha

"Oh brahmana, chanting of the holy name is the auspicious process in Kali Yuga. It is the highest auspiciousness for mankind. There is no other way."

http://www.vrindavan.de/flowerbar2.gif

Varaha Purana

krsna krsneti krsneti

svapan jagrad vrajamstatha

yo jalpati kalau nityam

krsna-rupi bhaveddhi sah

"Whoever continuously chants Lord Krsna's holy name, even in his sleep, can easily realise that the name is a direct manifestation of Krsna Himself, in spite of the influences of Kali-yuga. This has been ordained by Lord Krsna."

Skanda Purana

kali-kala kusarpasya

tiksna-damstrasya ma bhayam

govinda-nama-danena

dagdho yasyati bhasmatam

"I see that Kali-yuga is like a black, poisonous snake with a gaping mouth and fangs. But please be unperturbed dear devotees and listen with faith. Once the holy name of the Lord is being chanted, it is like igniting a forest fire which will burn to ashes the poisonous snakes within the forest."

mahabhagavata nityam

kalau smakirtaya kesavam

"The hallmark of a mahabhagavata the most elevated devotee in Kali-yuga is that he chants the holy name of the Lord constantly.

Kalisantarana Upanisad

“The sixteen names composed of thirty-two syllables are the only means to counteract the evil effects of Kali-yuga. In all the Vedas it is seen that to cross the ocean of nescience, there is no alternative to the chanting of the holy name.”

Chanting of the holy names of Hari is the yuga-dharma (recommended religious process) for kali-yuga. The importance of this chanting cannot be overly stressed. Everyone should chant these holy names as much as possible.

Linga Purana

varjams-tisthan svapannasnan

svasan vakya-prapurane

nama-samkirtanam visnor-

helaya kali-vardhanam

krtva svarupatam yati

bhakti-yuktam param vrajet

"In our normal activities of eating, sleeping, sitting, dreaming, etc. to chant Krsna's names, while nullify the ill effects of Kali-yuga, is the perfection of speech. Even if a person chants Krsna's names indifferently, he will surely achieve his svarupa, or original spiritual self and attain that state beyond all material fear and lamentation. He will reach Vaikuntha, the supreme goal.

Madhvacharya, quoting Narayana Samhita,

in his Mundakopanisad Bhasya says -

dvapariyair janair visnuh

pancaratrais tu kevalam

kalau tu nama-matrena

pujyate bhagavan harih

"In the Dvapara-yuga people should worship Lord Visnu only by the regulative principles of the pancaratra and other such authorized books. In the Age of Kali, however, people should only chant the holy names of the Supreme Personality of Godhead."

Hare Krishna

Chanting is really all good

and most important for me

and all other souls in the universe.

Let me chant the holy names heart and soul.

They indeed merit my utmost attention .

thanks

SB 2.1.11: O King, constant chanting of the holy name of the Lord after the ways of the great authorities is the doubtless and fearless way of success for all, including those who are free from all material desires, those who are desirous of all material enjoyment, and also those who are self-satisfied by dint of transcendental knowledge.

tsaissri siksastaka

<font color="red"> Eight Prayers of Divine Instruction</font color>

<font color="blue"> (Bengali songs based on Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu's Sanskrit Siksastakam)</font color>

<font color="brown">

Song 1

[Jhanphi-Lopha]

(1)

pita-varana kali-pavana gora

gaoyai aichana bhava-vibhora

1) Lord Gauranga, whose complexion is golden and who is the deliverer of the fallen souls of Kali-yuga, sings as follows, overwhelmed with spiritual ecstasy:

(2)

citta-darpana-parimarjana-kari

krsna-kirtana jaya citta bihari

2) All glories to the chanting of the holy name of Krsna! It thoroughly cleanses the mirror of the heart. This chanting delights the soul.

(3)

hela-bhava-dava-nirvapana-vrtti

krsna-kirtana jaya klesa-nivrtti

3) "All glories to the chanting of the holy name of Krsna! It extinguishes the horrible forest fire of material existence. This chanting removes all material tribulations.

(4)

sreyah-kumuda-vidhu-jyotsna-prakas

krsna-kirtana jaya bhakti-vilas

4) "All glories to the chanting of the holy name of Krsna! It appears like the moon in the heart and distributes its cooling moonlight, thus causing the white lotus of good fortune to bloom. This chanting is the pastime of devotion.

(5)

visuddha-vidya-vadhu jivana-rup

krsna-kirtana jaya siddha-swarup

5) "All glories to the chanting of the holy name of Krsna! It is compared to a young bride, chaste and devoted to transcendental knowledge itself. This chanting is the highest perfection of life.

(6)

ananda-payo-nidhi-vardhana-kirti

krsna-kirtana jaya plavana-murti

6) "All glories to the chanting of the holy name of Krsna! It is glorious, as it causes the ocean of ecstatic bliss to swell and overflow. This chanting is an inundation of love of Godhead.

(7)

pade pade piyusa-swada-pradata

krsna-kirtana jaya prema-vidhata

7) "All glories to the chanting of the holy name of Krsna! It gives one a taste of fully satisfying nectar at every step. This chanting is the bestower of ecstatic love of God."

(8)

bhaktivinoda-swatma-snapana-vidhan

krsna-kirtana jaya prema-nidan

8) All glories to the chanting of the holy name of Krsna! It bathes the soul of Bhaktivinoda. This chanting is a storehouse of love of God.

Song 2

(1)

tunhu doya-sagara tarayite prani

nam aneka tuwa sikhaoli ani'

1) O Lord, You are an ocean of mercy. You have brought Your innumerable holy names to this world and have taught the chanting of them to the fallen living beings just for their deliverance.

(2)

sakala sakati dei name tohara

grahane rakholi nahi kala-vicara

2) You invest all Your energies in Your own holy name, and for chanting Your holy name You have not established any rules such as consideration of time or place.

(3)

sri-nama-cintamani tohari samana

visve bilaoli karuna-nidana

3) Your divine holy name, being nondifferent from You, is like touchstone. You have distributed Your holy name throughout the entire creation, and that is the essence of Your kindness.

(4)

tuwa doya aichana parama udara

atisoy manda natha! bhaga hamara

4) Such is Your mercy, which is supremely magnanimous, O Lord, but I am extremely unfortunate.

(5)

nahi janamalo name anuraga mor

bhakativinoda-citta duhkhe vibhor

5) My attraction for the holy name has never come about; therefore the heart of Bhaktivinoda is overwhelmed with sadness.

Song 3

(1)

sri-krsna-kirtane jadi manasa tohar

parama jatane tahi labho adhikar

1) If your mind is always absorbed in chanting the glories of Lord Krsna with great care, then by that process of sri-krsna-kirtana you will attain transcendental qualification.

(2)

trnadhika hina, dina, akincana char

apane manobi sada chadi' ahankar

2) You should give up all false pride and always consider yourself to be worthless, destitute, lower and more humble than a blade of grass.

(3)

vrksa-sama ksama-guna korobi sadhan

prati-himsa tyaji' anye korobi palan

3) You should practice forgiveness like that of a tree, and giving up violence toward other living beings, you should protect and maintain them.

(4)

jivana-nirvahe ane udvega na dibe

para-upakare nija-sukha pasaribe

4) In the course of passing your life, you should never give anxiety to others, but rather do good to them while forgetting about your own happiness.

(5)

hoile-o sarva-gune guni mahasoy

pratisthasa chadi koro amani hrdoy

5) When one has thus become a great soul, possessing all good qualities, one should abandon all desires for fame and honor and make one's heart humble.

(6)

krsna-adhisthana sarva-jive jani' sada

korobi sammana sabe adare sarvada

6) Knowing that Lord Krsna resides within all living creatures, one should with great respect consistently show honor to all beings.

(7)

dainya, doya, anye mana, pratistha-varjan

cari gune guni hoi' koroha kirtan

7) By possessing these four qualities-humility, mercifulness, respect toward others, and the renunciation of desires for prestige-one becomes virtuous. In such a state you may sing the glories of the Supreme Lord.

(8)

bhakativinoda kandi', bole prabhu-pay

heno adhikara kabe dibe he amay

8) Weeping, Bhaktivinoda submits his prayer at the lotus feet of the the Lord: "O Lord, when will you give me the qualification for possessing attributes such as these?"

Song 4

[Jhanphi-Lopha]

(1)

prabhu tava pada-yuge mora nivedan

nahi magi deha-sukha, vidya, dhana, jan

1) O Lord! This is my humble submission at Your lotus feet. I do not ask from You sensual pleasure, learning, wealth, or followers.

(2)

nahi magi swarga, ara moksa nahi magi

na kori prarthana kono vibhutira lagi'

2) I do not beg for residence on the celestial planets, nor do I wish liberation from this mundane existence. Nor do I pray for the attainment of any mystic powers.

(3)

nija-karma-guna-dose je je janma pai

janme janme jeno tava nama-guna gai

3) Whatever birth I may obtain due to the faults of my previous worldly activities, I pray that I may sing the glories of Your holy name birth after birth.

(4)

ei matra asa mama tomar carane

ahoituki bhakti hrde jage anuksane

4) This is my only desire, O Lord, and I submit it at Your lotus feet: That unmotivated devotion to You may constantly awaken in my heart.

(5)

visaye je priti ebe achaye amar

sei-mata priti hauk carane tomar

5) As much attachment as I now have for worldly affairs, I pray that a similar degree of attachment may develop for Your holy feet.

(6)

vipade sampade taha thakuk sama-bhave

dine dine vrddhi hauk namera prabhave

6) I pray that my love for You may remain undisturbed both in misfortune and in prosperity, and that day after day it may increase by the power and influence of Your holy name.

(7)

pasu-paksi ho'ye thaki swarge va niroye

tava bhakti rahu bhaktivinoda-hrdoye

7) Be my life in heaven or in hell, be it as a bird or a beast, may devotion to You always remain within the heart of Bhaktivinoda.

Song 5

(1)

anadi' karama-phale, podi' bhavarnava-jale,

toribare na dekhi upay

e-visaya-halahale, diva-nisi hiya jwale,

mana kabhu sukha nahi pay

1) As a result of my selfish activities, which are without beginning, I have fallen into the ocean of material existence, and I see no means of deliverance from this great ocean of nescience. Day and night my heart burns from the vicious poison of these worldly activities, and due to this my mind never finds any real happiness.

(2)

asa-pasa-sata-sata, klesa deya avirata,

pravrtti-urmira tahe khela

kama-krodha-adi choy, batapade deya bhoy,

avasana hoilo asi' bela

2) Bound by hundreds and hundreds of desires like nooses around my neck, they constantly trouble me. In this ocean of nescience play the waves of ever-increasing materialistic tendency. There are also many thieves and rogues, of whom six are prominent: lust, anger, envy, greed, illusion, and madness. They are causing me great fear, and in this way my life is coming to an end.

(3)

jnana-karma-thaga dui, more pratariya loi,

avasese phele sindhu-jale

e heno samaye, bandhu, tumi krsna krpa-sindhu,

krpa kori' tolo more bale

3) The two highway robbers named intellectual knowledge and fruitive activity have cheated and misled me, and finally they have thrown me into the ocean of misery. At such a time as this, dear Krsna, You are my only friend. You are an ocean of mercy. Please be kind and by Your strength uplift me from this condition of suffering.

(4)

patita-kinkore dhori', pada-padma-dhuli kori',

deho bhaktivinode asroy

ami tava nitya-das, bhuliya mayara pas,

baddha ho'ye achi doyamoy

4) Grasping hold of this fallen servant, and fixing him as a particle of dust on your lotus feet, kindly give shelter to Bhaktivinoda. O most merciful Lord! I am actually Your eternal servant, but having forgotten this I have become bound up in the snare of maya.

Song 6

[Chota-Dasakusi-Lopha]

(1)

aparadha-phale mama, citta bhelo vajra-sama,

tuwa name na labhe vikar

hatas hoiye, hari, tava nam ucca kori',

boro duhkhe daki bar bar

1) O Lord Hari, as a result of my offenses incurred in previous lifetimes, my heart has become hard as a thunderbolt, and feels no change upon chanting Your holy name. Now in utter hopelessness, O Lord Hari, I loudly sing Your name, and in great distress I call out to You again and again.

(2)

dina doyamoy karuna-nidan

bhava-bindhu dei rakhoha paran

2) O Lord who is compassionate towards the fallen souls! O origin of all mercy! Please give to me a drop of divine ecstasy and thereby save my life!

(3)

kabe tuwa nama-uccarane mor

nayane jharabo dara dara lor

3) When will an incessant stream of tears flow dripping and dripping from my eyes at the articulation of Your holy name?

(4)

gad-gada-swara kanthe upajabo

mukhe bola adha adha bahirabo

4) When will a faltering voice choked with emotion arise in my throat, and when will words garbled due to ecstasy come from my mouth?

(5)

pulake bharabo sarira hamara

sweda-kampa-stambha habe bara bara

5) When will my body be filled with ecstatic rapture, and when will there be perspiration, trembling, and a stunned sensation again and again?

(6)

vivarna-sarire haraobun jnana

nama-samasraye dharobun paran

6) When, out of divine ecstasy, will all consciousness be lost in my pale and discolored body? And when will I hold onto my very life under the shelter of Your holy name?

(7)

milabo hamara kiye aiche din

ro-owe bhaktivinoda mati hin

7) This weeping Bhaktivinoda, who is devoid of all good intelligence, sobs, "O Lord, how will such a day ever be mine?"

Song 7

[Jhanphi-Lopha]

(1)

gaite gaite nama ki dasa hoilo

'krsna-nitya-dasa mui' hrdoye sphurilo

1) What was my condition after repeatedly chanting the holy name? The realization that "I am the eternal servant of Krsna" spontaneously became manifest within my heart.

(2)

janilam maya-pase e jada-jagate

govinda-virahe duhkha pai nana-mate

2) I realized that I was ensnared in the noose of maya's illusion, being trapped within this dull mundane universe, and that I simply experience misery in various ways due to separation from Lord Govinda.

(3)

ar je samsara mor nahi lage bhalo

kaha jai' krsna heri-e cinta visalo

3) Furthermore, I realized that I do not like this worldly existence. "Where can I go to see Krsna?"-this was my great anxiety.

(4)

kandite kandite mor ankhi-varisoy

varsa-dhara heno cakse hoilo udoy

4) Crying and crying, tears poured from my eyes, appearing just like torrents of rain in the monsoon season.

(5)

nimese hoilo mora sata-yuga-sam

govinda-viraha ar sahite aksam

5) Unable to bear separation from Lord Govinda any longer, for me the passing of a moment became like a hundred long ages.

[Dasakusi]

(6)

sunya dhara-tala, caudike dekhiye,

parana udasa hoy

ki kori, ki kori, sthira nahi hoy,

jivana nahiko roy

6) As I look about in all directions, the surface of the earth appears to be void, and my very life-breath feels empty. What am I doing? What am I doing? I do not feel at all tranquil, and the life within my body is slipping away.

(7)

braja-basi-gan, mora prana rakho,

dekhao sri-radha-nathe

bhakativinoda, minati maniya,

laohe tahare sathe

7) O residents of Vraja-dhama! Please save my life and show me the Lord of sri Radha! O consider the prayers of this Bhaktivinoda and take him into His company!

[Eka-tala]

(8)

sri-krsna-viraha ar sahite na pari

paran chadite ar din dui cari

8) I am unable to further tolerate this separation from my Lord sri Krsna and am ready to give up my life in two days or four.

[Dasakusi]

(1)

gaite govinda-nam, upajilo bhava-gram,

dekhilam jamunara kule

brsabhanu-suta-sange, syama-nata-bara range,

bansari bajaya nipa-mule

1) Upon singing the holy name of Govinda, a host of ecstasies arose within me... and I saw Lord syamasundar, the best of dancing actors, standing on the banks of the Yamuna in the company of the daughter of Maharaja Vrsabhanu. He was playing His flute with great delight at the base of a kadamba tree.

(2)

dekhiya yugala-dhana, asthira hoilo mana,

jnana-hara hoinu takhon

koto-ksane nahi jani, jnana-labha hoilo mani,

ara nahi bhelo darasan

2) Seeing the treasured Divine Couple of Vraja, my mind became unsteady and I lost consciousness. I do not know for how long I was unconscious, but when I awoke that vision of Radha and Krsna was no longer present.

[Jhanphi-Lopha]

(1)

sakhi go, kemate dharibo paran

nimesa hoilo yugera saman

1) O my dear girlfriend! How will I maintain my life? The passing of a mere moment has become like a vast age of time.

[Dasakusi]

(2)

sravanera dhara, ankhi-varisoy,

sunya bhelo dhara-tala

govinda-virahe, prana nahi rohe,

kemone vancibo bolo

2) Tears flow from my eyes like torrents of rain in the month of sravana, and the face of the earth has become totally void. In separation from Govinda my life cannot go on... please tell how I will be able to live.

(3)

bhakativinoda, asthira hoiya,

punah namasraya kori'

dake radha-natha, diya darasan,

prana rakho, nahe mari

3) Bhaktivinoda has become very restless and again takes shelter of the holy name, calling out, "O Lord of Radha! By bestowing Your audience, please save my life! By Your mercy alone I shall not perish!"

Song 8

[Dasakusi]

(1)

bandhu-gan! sunoha vacana mor

bhavete vibhora, thakiye jakhon,

dekha deya citta-cor

1) O my dear friends! Please hear my words. When the thief of my heart appears to me, I remain overwhelmed in pure ecstasy.

(2)

vicaksana kori', dekhite cahile,

hoy ankhi-agocara

punah nahi dekhi', kandaye paran,

duhkhera nahi thake or

2) When I scheme to see Him more closely, He suddenly becomes invisible. Thus losing sight of Him again, my soul weeps, and there is no limit to the unhappiness that I feel.

(3)

jagatera bandhu sei kabhu more loy satha

jatha tatha rakhu more amara sei prana-natha

3) Sometimes that friend of the universe takes me as one of His associates; but however He chooses to treat me, He is still the Lord of my life.

(4)

darsana-ananda-dane, sukha deya mora prane,

bole more pranaya-vacan

punah adarsana diya, dagdha kore mora hiya,

prane mora mare prana-dhan

4) By bestowing His blissful audience, He gives happiness to my soul, and He speaks words of love to me. But again by His absence He burns my heart, and He who is the treasure of my life gives distress to my soul.

(5)

jahe ta'r sukha hoy, sei sukha mama

nija sukhe-duhkhe mor sarvada-i sama

5) Whatever His happiness is, that is also my happiness. Therefore I do not care about my own happiness or distress-they are equal in all ways.

(6)

bhakativinoda, samyoge, viyoge,

tahe jane pranesvara

ta'ra sukhe sukhi, sei prana-nath,

se kabhu na hoy para

6) In meeting or in separation, Bhaktivinoda knows only Krsna to be the Lord of his life and is made happy only by His happiness. He is the Lord of Bhaktivinoda's soul, and He will never be looked upon with indifference.

[Dasakusi]

(1)

yoga-pithopari-sthita, asta-sakhi-suvestita,

brndaranye kadamba-kanane

radha-saha vamsi-dhari, visva-jana-citta-hari,

prana mor tanhara carane

1) Situated upon the Yoga-Pitha surrounded by the eight chief gopis in a kadamba tree grove within Vrndavana with His beloved Radha is the holder of the flute the stealer of the hearts of all living beings in the universe-I lay down my life at Their lotus feet.

(2)

sakhi-ajna-mata kori donhara sevan

palya-dasi sada bhavi donhara caran

2) According to the directions of my superior sakhi, I render service to the Divine Couple. I always consider myself a dependent maidservant of the lotus feet of the Divine Couple.

(3)

kabhu krpa kori, mama hasta dhori',

madhura vacana bole

tambula loiya, khay dui jane,

mala loya kutuhale

3) Sometimes, out of great mercy, my sakhi holds my hand and speaks sweet words to me. Taking the betel nuts I have prepared she offers them to those two persons and accepts flower garlands for Them in great delight.

(4)

adarsana hoy kakhon ki chale

na dekhiya donhe hiya jwale

4) By some deception They periodically disappear from my sight. Not seeing the Divine Couple of Vraja, my heart burns in agony.

(5)

jekhane sekhane, thakuka du'jane,

ami to' carana-dasi

milane ananda, virahe jatana,

sakala samana basi

5) Wherever those two may be I am certainly a humble maidservant of Their lotus feet. I consider the ecstasies of meeting Them and the agonies of separation from Them to be exactly the same.

(6)

radha-krsna prana mor jivane marane

more rakhi' mari' sukhe thakuka du'jane

6) In life or death, Radha and Krsna are my life and soul. May They always be happy, whether They choose to protect me or kill me.

(7)

bhakativinoda, ana nahi jane,

podi' nija-sakhi-pay

radhikara gane, thakiya satata,

yugala-carana cay

7) This Bhaktivinoda knows nothing beyond this. Falling down at the lotus feet of the sakhi whom he serves and always remaining among the associates of sri Radhika he prays for the lotus feet of the Divine Couple of Vraja.</font color>

<font color="pink"> Thus ends Gitavali by Srila Saccidananda Bhaktivinoda Thakura</font color>

nrtya-gita-samapti-kale

When the dancing and chanting is concluded:

jaya sri godruma-candra gora-canda ki jaya

jaya prema-data sri nityananda ki jaya!

jaya sri santipura-natha ki jaya!

jaya sri gadadhara pandita goswami ki jaya!

jaya sri srivasadi bhakta-vrnda ki jaya!

jaya sri navadvipa-dhama ki jaya!

jaya sri nama-hatta ki jaya!

jaya sri srotr-varga ki jaya!

sri sri nam hattera parimarjjaka jhadudar

dina-hina sri kedaranath bhaktivinoda

Signed, the sweeper of the Marketplace of the Holy Name, the lowly and destitute Kedaranath Bhaktivinoda

TRANSLATION

All the sages said: Dear Dhruva, O son of King Uttanapada, may the Supreme Personality of Godhead known as Sarngadhanva, who relieves the distresses of His devotees, kill all your threatening enemies. The holy name of the Lord is as powerful as the Lord Himself. Therefore, simply by chanting and hearing the holy name of the Lord, many men can be fully protected from fierce death without difficulty. Thus a devotee is saved.

PURPORT

The great rsis approached Dhruva Maharaja at a time when his mind was very perplexed due to the magical feats exhibited by the Yaksas. A devotee is always protected by the Supreme Personality of Godhead. By His inspiration only, the sages came to encourage Dhruva Maharaja and assure him that there was no danger because he was a soul fully surrendered to the Supreme Lord. By the grace of the Lord, if a devotee, at the time of death, can simply chant His holy name — Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare/ Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare — simply by chanting this maha-mantra, he immediately surpasses the great ocean of the material sky and enters the spiritual sky. He never has to come back for repetition of birth and death. Simply by chanting the holy name of the Lord, one can surpass the ocean of death, so Dhruva Maharaja was certainly able to surpass the illusory magical feats of the Yaksas, which for the time being disturbed his mind.

Does this mean that anyone is qualified to chant the mahamantra? I know I am a person who is not free from material desires but I have been chanting for years now and I have noticed a lot of people tell me I am not qualified to chant but I keep chanting anyway.

"Just chant and be happy"

I'm like you, unqualified to chant Krsna's names. But that qualification will only be acquired through chanting. In the stages most of us are at we are chanting various reflections and shadow representations of the Name. But by doing that and struggling through the offensive stages with Krsna prema in view success is quarunteed.

Prabhupada didn't come seeking to inspire the "qualified" to chant but rather to qualify the unqualified so that we may chant.

If someone tells us we are not qualified to chant Krtsna's name we can thank them and then keep on chanting towards that goal.

If someone tells us we can't chant to become qualified then we can cover our ears yelling Krsna and leave his vicinity.

No religious hurdles, or even regulative principles can stop one from crying out to their Lord.

Remeber Prabhupada likened chanting Hare Krsna to a child crying out for its mother. What question is there of being qualified?

Hare Krsna (drat,missed again)

but someday suddha-nama will appear