IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Mel Gibson's "Passion"

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I think Mel Gibson was perhaps well-meaning, but it will probably not serve any good and will surely fuel the bigotry and aggression of the "Christian" Right.

A big problem with his movie and book about the last 12 days in the life of the Christ is that he injects a lot of misguided interpretation, speculation and opinion, and presents it as truth.

The biggest problem is that it's based on the doctrine and dogma of the Nicene Creed, fabricated in the 4th Century to elevate and enhance the status of the Christ and Christianity for the then-new "Holy Roman Empire." And, by the way, that doctrine was used to justify many centuries of theocratic imperialism, oppression and cruelty we now call the Dark Ages.

The biggest problem is that the same doctrine is used now to justify the bigotry of the Christian Right, which claims that "only by accepting Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior can you receive salvation," because "Jesus died for the sins of humanity." Even worse, the Religious Right uses it to claim that everyone must agree and march in lock step with them or else be damned to eternal hell. And by making this movie and book Mel Gibson has aligned himself with the Christian Right.

The thing is, it's really a question of why Jesus did what he did. And it WAS NOT to justify religious bigots and hypocrites who claim only they know The Way and anyone who disagrees is in league with Satan. And it WAS NOT to create a religion for imperialists who seek worldly wealth and power and live by the sword (gun and bomb).

The real truth is that Jesus allowed himself to be arrested knowing he would face death to show us a perfect example of the loving and forgiving pacifist and martyr, who would rather judge not, resist not evil, love his enemies, and turn the other cheek. THAT is real Christian doctrine.

In contrast with that, the doctrine about Jesus "dying for our sins" and being "the only source of salvation" makes little sense, if you really think about it. After all, our sins are certainly our own, and we certainly live with the consequences of our sins. And our salvation is in asking for forgiveness from God, and achieving the feeling of being forgiven.

Granted, most Christians hold the Nicene Creed as true to the gospels. But it now raises many questions: Are the gospels as we now know them true to the actual teachings of Jesus? Were they embellished and redesigned by the writers of the gospels when the oral tradition was finally written down between 40 and 70 years after Jesus died? Were certain things added to the gospels in the 4th Century to justify and suit the purposes of the "converted Christian" emperor Constantine who lived by the sword to rule the then-new "Holy Roman Empire?" Is it not in fact a man-made doctrine designed to justify the building of a theocratic empire that holds all other religions as false?

I believe in Jesus and his Golden Rule, which is the true core principle of Christianity and all other genuine religions. I do not believe he ever said or implied in any way that "unless you believe in me you will suffer eternal damnation in hell." I think that is the man-made doctrine of the hypocrites that Jesus warned us about. And the idea that only by professing belief in Jesus as Lord and Savior can you receive salvation is a big part of that false doctrine. I learned that from the messenger for the Spirit of truth that Jesus said would come, in the message entitled Real Prophecy Unveiled, and in my heart I know it is true.

If you'd care to read a summary of Real Prophecy Unveiled, visit:

http://realprophecyunveiled.netfirms.com

It respects and honors all religions, and the book honors the Siddhi Gurus, Avatars, and Sages.