IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
krsna

What did Gurudeva come to teach after all?

Rate this topic

GOVERNED BY THE SPIRITUAL MASTER

His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada

Prabhupada:

Surrender means to accept the orders of the spiritual master. So if you do not abide by the orders of spiritual mas-ter, what is the use of your surrender? Sur-render means favorable things, should be accepted. You do not know [what is fa-vorable]. Therefore the spiritual master will direct you, “This is favorable. This is unfa-vorable. Don’t smoke. This is unfavorable.” But if you don’t accept his instruction, then what is the meaning of surrender?

Simply obeisances, falling flat for the time being, that is not surrender. Surrender means you must abide strictly the orders, , disciple, means one must agree to be governed by the spiritual master. That is called sisya.

Governing is done by military, governing is done by lawbooks, governing is done by personal instruction, in so many ways. So sisya means one who voluntarily accepts to be guided or be governed by the representative of God.

Devotee (1): In regard to worshiping the arca vigraha form, you have explained that if one receives a mantra from a spiritual master who is not bona fide, that mantra has no effect. So I would like to ask if one is worshiping a deity and his spiritual master is not bona fide, so that deity cannot be considered the Supreme Lord?

Prabhupada:

Well, first of all, if the spiritual master is not bona fide, how is his mantra bona fide? Your statement is contradictory. If you say that the spiritual master is not bona fide, then how has his mantra become bona fide? If he is bona fide, then his mantra is bona fide.

Devotee (1): Then why is he giving instruc-tion to worship the deity? If the spiritual mas-ter is not bona fide, then is the deity also not bona fide?

Prabhupada:

I do not follow. What is he saying?

Devotee (2): His idea is that if one receives a mantra from a spiritual master, if the spiritual master is not bona fide...

Prabhupada:

Then there is no question of mantra. There is no question of worshiping the deity. These are all bogus things. Just like here is a young medical man. If he has not received instruction from a bona fide medical college, then what is the value of his medical practice? That is... What is the technical name?

Devotee (3): Quack.

Prabhupada:

A quack is not a medical man, no matter how much he may show red bottles and white bottles. There is a Bengali proverb, “One stethoscope, some bottles, and talking all nonsense, he becomes a doctor.” That means the quack doctor, not a qualified doctor. ... So experience is required. ... If you are trained under a bona fide doctor, then you can also get the quality of the doctor. Similarly, one should go to the bona fide spiritual master to learn this transcendental science.

— From a lecture in Surat, India, on 23 December 1970.

Chanting Mahamantra under guidance of Sri Guru

Doing seva strictly for the pleasure of Sri Guru and Gouranga

Giving up all idea of independance

This body belongs to Mahaprabhu

This mind is His too,

"Please dear Lord

steal my mind away so

that it ceaselessly meditates on Your form qualaties and pastimes."

"Let me make this a liftime vow

a sacred vrata

Henceforward,

from now on

i am totally Yours

Nothing is mine

Me ,myself and mine-banish such thoughts forever.

your

krsndas