IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
bholder23

hair loss vs liver/kidney function via sylmarin intake

Rate this topic

hiya - new to the board - and am very interested in ayurvdeic therapies w/ regard to liver/and/or kidney function in corealtion w/hair-loss.

i have recently started a consitent regimine of milk thistle/dandelion root (about 1-2 capsules/day of milk thistle/dandelion root concentrate via capsule [400 mg/cap]- whole foods, eclectic institute brand) - to absolve an elevated liver enzyme count by way of a recent physical done (reporting high enzyme-count).

within the past 3 month period, i have noticed considerable hair loss - not sure if it is co-related - just a huntch - wondered if there were any other members who had similar experiences.

i have since (as of 3 weeks ago) resorted to an herbal alternative to rogaine - which has not, as of yet, stabilized my hair-loss.

i am not sure if there is an interaction or correlation - just assuming and hoping that others might respond.

if anyone has experienced similar side-effects, please let me know - just wondering if this is normal or not.

thaks!

some herbal concentrates do indeed have side effects. however, milk thistle and dandelion should not cause hair loss. I wonder if your hair loss is a result of a different problem in your body, or impurities in the herbal preps (you could try a different brand). in general, herbal concentrates (where the presumed active ingredient is separated from the rest of the herb) cause far more problems than the whole herb extract.

Guest guest

thanks for the feedback - aside from taking the milk thistle/dandelion root extract, i wonder how correlated liver/kidney function is to hair loss period.

are there any herbal remedies for controlling hair loss and/or stimulating hair growth?

as part of my daily regimine, in addition to the sylmarin, i take a garlic supplement formulated to stimulate circulation, sustained released potassium, vitamin c w/rosehips, a calcium/magnesium/zinc multi, 1400 ui vitamin e, and a mens multi vitamin. one of each per day.

i also take a tablespoon psyllium husk powder mixed into a milk/fruit smoothie about every other day to maintain colon health.

i feel like i'm doing my part to maintain health, but i feel like i must be doing something wrong for my hair to be falling out at such an alrming rate.

since i saw my internist 3 months ago and started taking sylmarin for the elvated liver enzyme, i'm not sure what else could be going on in my body to cause this. could the elevated liver enzyme cause hair to fall out?

i wonder if i should see a dermatologist to see if i can figure out the cause of this.

thanks!

cayenne (including de-heated tablets) is much better for circulation than garlic. garlic is only good for meat-eaters as it destroys the symbiotic microorganisms in your digestive tract.

rapid hair loss is always a symptom of a deeper (non-skin) problem. I'm not an expert in long distance diagnostics /images/graemlins/wink.gif so you need to go to a competent practicioner (accupuncturist would be my first choice) good luck! rapid hair loss is not just a shallow cosmetic problem - it can be a warning.

(also check out my parasite awareness threads /images/graemlins/wink.gif )

good point - the supplement i take is called "garlicin" which does contain cayenne pepper (15mg) per tab (as well as v e as d alpha tocopheryl [15iu] and calcium as dicalcium phosphate [26mg]), perhaps i should just go for the cayenne tabs as well.

i am not vegetarian and i do not eat alot of red meat - chicken and fish mostly.

i just know that garlic is a great antioxidant.

i will check into an accupuncturist as i think my ins may cover certain altenative practices - if not, i can always file a claim aginst my fsa.

i have read elsewhere that thyroid function is correlated to hair-loss.

perhaps this is an area to explore.

in the mean-time, can you reccommend any herbs that will support kidney function? i have noticed my kidneys being tender as of late and wonder if i shouldn't try to add something to my regimine to support their function.

any reccommendations would be greatly received.

btw, i just bought a new batch of "yerba prima" for my source of fiber - psyllium husk powder contatining ginger root, senna extract (10% sennoisides), apple pectin extract, red clover tops extract 4:1, dandelion root & leaf extract 4:1.

hopefully, w/ the fortification of ginger root, senna, red clover, and dandelion root & leaf, this will increase the effectiveness of my colonic cleanse.

any thoughts on the efficacy of yerba prima?

thanks!

herbs are secondary help. primary help is in the diet and the lifestyle. as to kidney function: do you drink enough water? most people dont, and kidneys suffer. if you retain water too much (swelling) diuretic herbs can help a lot and you have plenty of choices. avoid imported herbs - local herbs are the best. many imported herbs are collected from heavily polluted areas and contain all kinds of heavy metals and residues from fumigation, a required step for import to most destinations. there is nothing better than collecting your own herbs - it is easier than most people think and a lot of fun. but it does require more effort than popping a pill /images/graemlins/wink.gif

as to yerba prima I have no experience with it. if you are observant, try it and see how it works for you.

i drink lots of water daily - i have for years - i probably go through at least 1.5 liters a day if not more.

i would love to be able to grow my own herbs and make fresh preparations. there is a local herb farm in the area that offers a fantastic seasonal selection.

i would need to do some research on types of herbs to grow and methods of preparing them. does indeed sound fun despite the extra effort.

and to the the topic of the hair loss, i think i've found an answer to why this might be happening so rapidly for me.

i went on a crash diet about 4-5 months ago and lost quite a few pounds. there is a condition called "telogen effluvium" which causes accute loss of hair due to physiological stresses on the body. this is seemingly common for dieters 3 to 6 months after the stressful event.

the good news is that it's temporary, which i'm happy about, needless to say.

i would still like to find herbal supplements to take to help noursish my hair back to health though. i know it may seem vain, but loosing your hair so suddenly can really freak you out!

thanks!

yes, that sounds like the most likely reason for your hair loss. I dont know of any effective herbs to speed up hair growth, but there may be some that help. keep an eye on your skin: if it is dry use good creams. skin and hair are related and built with similar materials.

1.5 liters of water per day is not a lot. 1.5 gallons would be adequate to see if your kidneys need more flushing. dont worry about this turning into vanity - our body needs to be properly maintained in order for us to function.

Bholder,

You need to find a chinese herbalist/accupuncturist, preferably one that specializes in five element theory. I know a little about five element theory, and from what I learned, hair (on the head) loss is caused by weakness in your water elemental. Water elemental governs kidney and bladder, so since you talked about kidney tenderness, you have a kidney problem that needs to get checked out. As I said, find a chinese healer well versed in five element theory.

Please do not construe my post as professional medical advice of any kind. I am a person who reads a variety of books from various disciplines. I try to help people by sharing my knowledge with others. Good luck.