IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

The Hinduization of ISKCON?

Rate this topic

Hare Krishna

It seems from the article that the person saying Siva-ratri is a Hindu festival is clearly mistaken, in the Krishna Book Nanda Mahajara Lord Krishna father celebrates this festival, so Siva-ratri is Not a Hindu Festival at all.

Its should celebrated, but Not advertising it as Hindu, that I have to agree with it, the sooner we get RID OF THE HINDU designation the better, then maybe more ppls will come to Krishna Consiousness.

"Next event: Festival of Colors (Holi) Saturday, March 6th, 4 pm." Then they should look on their calendars to see if there are any important Vaisnava celebrations at that date which are *not* being mentioned.

I'm surprised -- where is Sri Gaura Purnima? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Srila Prabhupad regard Holi as a sahajya type festival? Please correct me if I'm wrong, I meant no offense.

Guest guest

Jai Ganesh

you will have hard job getting rid off THE HINDU DESGNATION.

millions of Indians celebrates Maha Shiva Ratri and have done so for a long time,if an outsider calls me Hindu i have no problem with that

Jai Mahadeva

Jai Shree Krishna

I have also np with the Hindu designatian, but many ppls think that we are diff, and we pray to a diff God, so we should at least correct (if we can) the hindu designation, I'm sure this will help to spread krishna consiousness.

Hare Krishna

mmmm also, I don't know about this, but its becoming more commersialized, not just in India, sahajiya yes I would think so, you'd have to be blind to not see that, jeez I'm in argumentative mood lately, so please forgive me if my posts seem so. haribol!

Does anyone have any quotes by Srila Prabhupada regarding Holi? Of course as Gaudiya Vaishnavas we must celebrate Gaura Purnima, but I was under the impression that Srila Prabhupad called this a sahajiya festival, and yet I cannot find the quote, but from what I remember I got this quote as second hand information, word of mouth so I want to be careful.

Guest guest

I dont think there is an iskcon policy about becoming anti traditional

vedic festivals,am I wrong ?

Hinduization ?

she makes it sound like a disease,yuck get them off me ,yucky hindus,

sectarianism gone wild.

Prabhupada was against the concept of "hindu" in a philosophical sense,

the idea of a hodgepodge of concepts with advaita standing out

as the representative of "hindu" philosophy.

He and other acaryas from other traditions have been outspoken to

get rid of the word hindu,to distance themselves from the word "hinduism",it has become synonymous with polytheism or impersonalism.

He didn't want to reject the traditional vedic culture and festivals.

Guest guest

Hare Krishna Govindaram,

PAMHO! What would you think about an installation of a Siva deity in the temple? The management at ISKCON, Phoenix did that about a year ago and there's actually a Siva deity in the main temple room there. I asked the Temple President about this and he said if that was a problem, I should then confront the management at ISKCON, San Diego (or thereabouts) who, he said, were planning on also installing a Durga deity.

Of course, Lord Siva being the greatest Vaishnava, is certainly worthy of worship but that does detract from Iskcon's purpose/Prabhupada's mission, doesnt it?

What would be the difference between going to a multi-God temple(we have thousands of those in India) Vs. going to ISKCON? Not much, if this trend continues.

Hari Bol!

-Bharath

Guest guest

"...He didn't want to reject the traditional vedic culture and festivals."

Srila Prabhupada was very clear on exactly what he wanted and did not want within his ISKCON temples. I remember personally hearing it from his own mouth that Holi was not to be celebrated inside the temples. Krsna consciousness means watering the root, connecting directly to the Supreme Personality of Godhead as Sri Sri Radha-Krsna by executing devotional service under the authorized representative of Sri Guru and Gauranga as part of Lord Sri Caitanya's Sankirtan Movement. He presented us with the cream of Vedic knowledge, the personification of absolute truth. What is essentially simple and sublime often becomes complicated by going backwards rather than forwards, thereby missing the point entirely. Some things may need changing, according to time and circumstances, but others definitely not. Thankfully, I have only to decide for myself.

Guest guest

holi is throwing coloured substances around,inside

of a temple is not the right place,other then that

that is part of ancient vedic culture,which we know

is what he wanted iskcon to take to the world,

if you have some documentation where He specifically

forbids these festivals completely then present it,

otherwise we cannot accept "Prabhupada said" as authoritative in and of it self,sorry.

Guest guest

I must agree with Shivaji, thankyou.

It does seem as if you are offending Hindus. After all, Sri Krsna is part of the Sanatan Dharma, and you want to get rid of the the rest of the traditional beliefs.

Its like you want to take a part of our culture and then take the bit to modify into a new religion, that worships only Krsna Bhagavan. Lord Shiva, Durga Mata, all are part of the supreme lord, and part of Sanatan dharma as much as Krsna Bhagavan. You say that they are demi-gods because you worship only Lord Krsna, but all are part of one supreme God. Please do not form the opinion that the rest of us "Hindus" are doing wrong, we believe in all forms of the Lord, that is what makes Sanatan dharma unique, God has presented himself in so many Avataars, Lord Ram, Lord Shiva .etc

Rajendram

I'm all for return of ISKCON to our Vedic roots. that is VEDIC roots, not current popular Hinduism. I'm also troubled by the fact that so few western members join ISKCON in the West that we have to rely on importing devotees from India or Eastern Europe to run the temples. not to speak of the fact that many temples rely almost exclusively on donations from Indian community for its survival.

this problem will be fixed when we will implement the varnashrama dharma, the congregation.. in this way, naturally, people will send children to gurukula and someone, recognized to have the karma and guna of a real brahmana/brahmachary, he will remain at the themple running everything so nicely that house holders from the society will be inspired to serve with practical work or money..

Guest guest

the word "hindu" does not refer to a religion,it refers

to those who believe or follow some form of Vedic Dharma,

just like a christian is either a catholic,baptist,

jehovahs witness,or even mormon,they are all different

religions under the banner of "christian".

Vedic religion was misunderstood by outsiders especially

the british who lumped all the vedic sects into

a single category of "hinduism",so using that word

in it's true meaning means gaudiya vaisnavas are hindu as well.

there is no hindu religion,just like there is no christian religion

,jehovahs witness' believe a completely different

philosophy from catholics,they both believe different

then christian scientists who believe different then many

jesuits(teilhard de chardins philosophy is popular).

So a hindu is not a religion or sect ,it means the

followers of vedic beliefs,so in that sense there

is no modern hindu beliefs,by definition hindu means

vedic or a branch or sub branch,like advaita.

Many acaryas and others have a campaign to rid this word

as defining the indian religions,it is not a vedic word

just a corruption of the word sindhu,river,originally

used by outsiders to name the culture that lived

by the great rivers,sindhus,Sind,hindustan,hindus,hinduism.

The traditional vedic society was multi faceted in it's

religious character,we should respect that and not try

to diminish that which is an eternal part of the

vedic culture,i dont mean concoctions ,but the

culture and worship of the traditional vedic

style,which includes festivals honoring devas,

festivals for Ganesh,Shiva,Durga(not a deva,God herself),or

the rest of the vedic festivities which are meant for

social interaction and festiveness,it doesn't

always have to be about intense worship of the absolute

truth,fun and frolic are a big part of the traditional

vedic society,harvest festivals,seasonal festivals,