IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
krsna

"No Fakir-Go to Guru"

Rate this topic

Srila Prabhupada's lecture excerpt:

Srimad-Bhagavatam 6.1.42

Los Angeles, June 8, 1976

So we have to take knowledge from sastra. And who will teach me sastra? Tad-vijnanartham sa gurum evabhigacchet [MU 1.2.12]. Go to guru. Tad-vijnanartham. Just like you go to some superior person to learn something. That is the process. Similarly, the same process... You have to go to a person who has also heard. Susruma. You go to that, not that person who says that "I suppose,I believe,Maybe." No. You go to the person who says, iti susruma: "We have heard it from authorities." You have to go to that person. Srotriyam brahma-nistham [MU 1.2.12].

Who is guru? Srotriyam: "Who has properly heard." Srotriyam. And what is the result? Brahma-nistham: by hearing, he is firmly convinced there is God. You have to go to such guru. lf you go to a fakir, what he will teach you? No. Fakir means one who talks much without any knowledge. He is called fakir.

His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada

Founder-Acarya of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness

"Instruction alone cannot make one an expert. Unless one is blessed by the spiritual master, or the acarya, such teachings cannot become fully manifest. Therefore one should seek the mercy of the spiritual master so that the instructions of the spiritual master can develop within oneself."

(Teachings of Lord Caitanya, Chapter 15)