IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
ancient_paztriot

"As you sow" …over many lifetimes

Rate this topic

Hridayananda…

At what age is one considered a moral agent? So we are responsible for what we do. And according to the Bhagavad-gita, it is because of that responsibility that we are in the present situation that we're in. This is called the law of karma.

In the Bible I think you have the idea that "as you sow, so you shall reap". The problem is when you try to force this logic principle within the framework of one lifetime, it doesn't seem to fit. If you reap what you sow just within this life, it's very hard to pull it off 'cause as we know, everyone's not born in the same situation. Also, many people appear to escape crimes.

Whatever you think you know, death is gonna change your mind somehow.

Hridayananda…

In other words, according to the law of karma, it is not because we deserve what ultimately happens to us, therefore you are justified in doing anything, You can go and injure someone and say, "Well, I couldn't have done it unto you unless you deserved it." You see that principle… there is an economy of action in the sense that things are organized in a certain way, but it does not justify atrocities. There are still laws of nature.

But anyway, the situation I am born into is because of my own activities. Therefore, in this Vedic view the universe is rational.

We have a (material) universe which is basically irrational. This is one of the ironies of the so-called modern scientific world view. Although they pride themselves on being the masters of causaility and proof and this and that, in fact they have created for us a totally irrational universe in which we can explain why things interact, but we can give no reasonable explanation for the existential situation.