IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
sinimat

SURRENDER

Rate this topic

Can we start a discussion about surrendering unto Krishna? Please post anything related to surrendering here. I have been meditating on verse 18.66 from the Bhagavad Gita which says:

"Abandon all varieties of religion and just surrender unto Me. I shall deliver you from all sinful reactions. Do not fear."

I would like to read more about surrendering unto Krishna.

Haribol!

M

surrender means to do basically what arjuna did after listened the bhagavad gita

to surrender is:

to accept a pure present vaishnava spiritual master

to chant hare krishna at least in the number of rounds assigned by the guru

to turn our karma in karma (bhakti) yoga.. the activities remain the same, but we act for the gratification of krishna and not for our gratification as we did before

in this way our work and life gradually will be devotional service and we'll see krishna

Guest guest

Surrender usually comes when one is in a desperate situation and realizes that they have no material solutions to their problems. Then one turns to God to relieve the burdens and sufferings of this world.

tho that type of surrender is only a surface temporary surrender because as soon as the person feels (illusion)that he/she/it is out of danger or comfortable again then they go on their merry way as they were before.

Surrender usually comes when one is in a desperate situation and realizes that they have no material solutions to their problems. Then one turns to God to relieve the burdens and sufferings of this world.

Srimad-Bhagavatam 1.16.25

--

Hawaii, January 21, 1974 (excert)

His Divine Grace Bhaktivedanta Prabhupada:

So these are very difficult things, but because it is the age of Kali, kalena baliyasa, as we studied yesterday, that kalena va te balinam baliyasa: time is very hard time. Therefore Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu has said that it is very difficult time, kalau. It is not Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu's version; it is the Vedic version. Kalau nasty eva nasty eva nasty eva. Simply chant Hare Krishna mantra. This will clarify your heart. Then you can understand who is guru, where to surrender, where to take lesson. In this way we can make... Haphazardly, if we accept, then there will be failure.

In Nectar Devotion has 3 or 4 sort surrender

- pray for God

- follow instructions God-guru

- go for some perfection in spiritual life

I am not memory may be else one, I am not memory now.

TRANSLATION

But those who fully worship the unmanifested, that which lies beyond the perception of the senses, the all-pervading, inconceivable, unchanging, fixed and immovable — the impersonal conception of the Absolute Truth — by controlling the various senses and being equally disposed to everyone, such persons, engaged in the welfare of all, at last achieve Me.

PURPORT

Those who do not directly worship the Supreme Godhead, Krishna, but who attempt to achieve the same goal by an indirect process, also ultimately achieve the same goal, Sri Krishna. "After many births the man of wisdom seeks refuge in Me, knowing that Vasudeva is all." When a person comes to full knowledge after many births, he surrenders unto Lord Krishna. If one approaches the Godhead by the method mentioned in this verse, he has to control the senses, render service to everyone and engage in the welfare of all beings. It is inferred that one has to approach Lord Krishna, otherwise there is no perfect realization. Often there is much penance involved before one fully surrenders unto Him.

In order to perceive the Supersoul within the individual soul, one has to cease the sensual activities of seeing, hearing, tasting, working, etc. Then one comes to understand that the Supreme Soul is present everywhere. Realizing this, one envies no living entity — he sees no difference between man and animal because he sees soul only, not the outer covering. But for the common man, this method of impersonal realization is very difficult.

TRANSLATION

After many births and deaths, he who is actually in knowledge surrenders unto Me, knowing Me to be the cause of all causes and all that is. Such a great soul is very rare.

PURPORT

The living entity, while executing devotional service or transcendental rituals after many, many births, may actually become situated in transcendental pure knowledge that the Supreme Personality of Godhead is the ultimate goal of spiritual realization. In the beginning of spiritual realization, while one is trying to give up one's attachment to materialism, there is some leaning towards impersonalism, but when one is further advanced he can understand that there are activities in the spiritual life and that these activities constitute devotional service. Realizing this, he becomes attached to the Supreme Personality of Godhead and surrenders to Him. At such a time one can understand that Lord Sri Krishna’s mercy is everything, that He is the cause of all causes and that this material manifestation is not independent from Him. He realizes the material world to be a perverted reflection of spiritual variegatedness and realizes that in everything there is a relationship with the Supreme Lord Krishna. Thus he thinks of everything in relation to Vasudeva, or Sri Krishna. Such a universal vision of Vasudeva precipitates one's full surrender to the Supreme Lord Sri Krishna as the highest goal. Such surrendered great souls are very rare.

This verse is very nicely explained in the Third Chapter (verses 14 and 15) of the Svetasvatara Upanisad:

sahasra-sirsa purusah

sahasraksah sahasra-pat

sa bhumim visvato vrtva-

tyatisthad dasangulam

purusa evedam sarvam

yad bhutam yac ca bhavyam

utamrtatvasyesano

yad annenatirohati

In the Chandogya Upanisad (5.1.15) it is said, na vai vaco na caksumsi na srotrani na manamsity acaksate prana iti evacaksate prano hy evaitani sarvani bhavanti: "In the body of a living being neither the power to speak, nor the power to see, nor the power to hear, nor the power to think is the prime factor; it is life which is the center of all activities." Similarly Lord Vasudeva, or the Personality of Godhead, Lord Sri Krishna, is the prime entity in everything. In this body there are powers of speaking, of seeing, of hearing, of mental activities, etc. But these are not important if not related to the Supreme Lord. And because Vasudeva is all-pervading and everything is Vasudeva, the devotee surrenders in full knowledge (cf. Bhagavad-gita 7.17 and 11.40).

<center><h8> <font color="red"> Saranagati

"Surrendered to the Lord's Shelter" </font color>

<font color="pink"> by Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura

-originally published in 1893-</font color>

Fourth Principle of Surrender:`Avasya Raksibe Krishna'--Visvasa, Palana

Faith in Krishna as Protector

Four Songs -

(song 1 of 4)

Song 1

(1)

ekhona bujhinu prabhu! tomara carana

asokabhoyamrta-purna sarva-khana

1) Now I have understood, O Lord, that Your feet are eternally full of sweet nectar that dispels all sorrow and fear.*

(2)

sakala chadiya tuwa carana-kamale

podiyachi ami natha! tava .-tale

2) Surrendering myself and all I possess unto those lotus feet, I have laid myself down submissively under their shelter.

(3)

tava .-padma nath! rokhibe amare

ar rakha-karta nahi e bhava-samsare

3) Your lotus feet, O Lord, will certainly shelter me. There are no other protectors in this world of birth and death.

(4)

ami tava nitya-dasa--janinu e-bara

amara palana-bhara ekhona tomara

4) At last I know myself to be Your eternal servant. Now the burden of my maintenance is exclusively Yours.

(5)

bado duhkha paiyachi swatantra jivane

duhkha dure gelo o .-varane

5) In my life of independence from You, I have experienced nothing but misery. But now, upon accepting those feet of Yours, all my miseries have been cast far away.

(6)

je-. lagiya rama tapasya korila

je-. paiya siva sivatwa lobhila

6) Desiring a place at Your lotus feet the goddess of fortune performed difficult austerities. Only after receiving Your feet did Lord Siva attain his sivatva, or quality of auspiciousness.

(7)

je-. labhiya brahma krtartha hoila

je-. narada muni hrdoye dhorila

7) Upon obtaining Your feet Lord Brahma had his desires fulfilled. Your feet are always held by the great sage Narada Muni within his heart.

(8)

sei se abhoya . sirete dhoriya

parama-anande naci .-guna gaiya

8) I now hold on my head those very same lotus feet, which drive away all fear, while I dance in great ecstasy, singing their glories.

(9)

samsara-vipada ho'te avasya uddhar

bhakativinoda, o-. koribe tomar

9) Your lotus feet will surely deliver Bhaktivinoda from the dangerous perils of this worldly journey.

</center>

</h8>

Bhagavad-gita 7.1, San Francisco, March 17, 1968 (excerpt)

Woman: <font color="red"> Srila Prabhupada, what does it mean practically to surrender unto Krishna? </font color>

Prabhupada: Yes. Surrender to Krishna means you have to accept things which is favorable for Krishna consciousness. Just like we restrict our students, no illicit sex, no gambling, no meat-eating, no intoxication. If you surrender to this process, that is surrender to Krishna. Is it clear? If you don't surrender, there is no surrender. Then you are not surrendered soul. Chant sixteen rounds, and if you follow, that is surrendering to Krishna. Don't take anything except Krishna-prasadam. That is surrendering to Krishna. So many we have got. So if you surrender to these principles, that means you surrender to Krishna. Just like a good citizen surrenders to the state. What does it mean? He abides by the law. That's all. He does not do anything which is against the will of the state. That's all. So you surrender to the principles; then you surrender to Krishna. That's all. All right. Thank you very much. (end)