Religion Brings Happiness

Rate this topic

Religion Brings Greater Happiness

Pursuit of Happiness Means Less Stuff, More Purpose

By Jeanie Lerche Davis

WebMD Medical News 

Reviewed By Charlotte Grayson, MD

on Thursday, December 11, 2003

Dec. 11, 2003 -- We want just one thing for Christmas: more stuff. Give us a digital camera, a Burberry coat, and a Prada bag -- please.

But wait: If pursuit of happiness is really your goal, forget all that. Only spirituality and a sense of purpose bring bliss, says one British researcher.

"It's a timely message, since we do get swamped by our materialistic culture at Christmas," lead researcher Stephen Joseph, PhD, a psychologist with the University of Warwick in England, tells WebMD. "Christmas just amplifies our materialism."

Joseph's study seeks a recipe for happiness, looking beyond religious faith, which other studies have shown is one ingredient. He looks at self-actualization and purpose in life, too.

His study appears in this month's issue of the journal Mental Health, Religion & Culture.

Meaning = Happiness

In it, Joseph publishes information gleaned from 101 undergraduate students between ages 18 and 49. Each completed surveys that measured their attitudes toward Christianity, whether they felt a purpose in life, and if they had made strides toward that goal.

The surveys also asked their general feelings about life: "I feel dissatisfied with my life. I feel happy. I feel cheerless. I feel pleased with the way I am. I feel life is enjoyable. I feel life is meaningless."

Those scoring high in religious beliefs -- who went to church regularly, had a strong religious faith, and prayed often -- also scored high in happiness and purpose in life.

"We're not saying that all religious people are happier than non-religious people," Joseph tells WebMD. "It's just that, on average, religious people tend to be happier because they have a greater sense of purpose in life."

Actually, a spiritual path outside of organized religion works in the pursuit of happiness, too. "Religion is only one path to sense of purpose," he says.

Pursuit of happiness should shorten our "give me" list, he says. "Material success, wealth, possessions -- those are detrimental to happiness. More important is valuing our relationships, fostering a sense of community. Religion serves as a vehicle in pointing people in that direction."

People who are not religious but want to celebrate the holidays should focus on connecting with family or with friends they consider to be family, says James H. Bray, PhD, associate professor of family and community medicine at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston.

"That can be very positive -- you can take time to do nice things for other people, enjoy their company and the support that you give each other," he tells WebMD.

"Also, volunteer work can be a good way to get beyond yourself," Bray says. "Ring the bell for the Salvation Army. I have friends who buy 10 or 20 frozen turkeys, then spend an afternoon driving around in poor neighborhoods and giving them out. Also, I've noticed that a lot of holiday parties encourage bringing toys [to give to charity]. That's a great way to be part of the celebration."