IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Vow not kept

Rate this topic

Guest guest

hare Krishna

I took a vow ( not a very difficult one ) for this kartik month , but could not keep it . Will I get some spiritual /material punishment from the supreme for doing that. Is there any way that I can ask for pardon.

hari bol

Hare Krsna,

In my humble opinion to break a vow is to make a habit of taking on a vow and not keeping it. A vow is a vow and one should keep it and perhaps falldown but get back on track as soon as possible and keep yourself there.

Guest guest

Hi, I always make vows to supreme godhead and do not keep them. It always happens no matter how much I try. I think it is because we have no power to make vows, we should try to keep them, if not then it is basically the supreme's will that makes you not keep your vow.

The people who have the power to keep a vow are the pure ones, they are very rare in this world. So, I think it is better for us to first learn to purify ourselves with His names and invoke love for him first. Then, we can make vows and what not and follow them for Him.

But first, be happy chanting his name and accept whatever he gives you , punishment or reward as His mercy.

TU /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Guest guest

I think Krsna has better things to do , He does not care if you make a vow for him and not keep it. What he does care about is love, if you show love in anyway, that attracts the Godhead.

Guest guest

I do beleive what you mentioned. Krishna certainly knows that we as humans in materialistic world cannot keep vows for long. So as long as we still Love Krishna and purify our mind He would extend His kindness.

But vow is still essential for us to train ourselves each step further in spirituality. Even if we dont keep it for long, each time when we make a vow, and try to extend the number of days or months to keep it up, at one stage we get controlled and keep it for ever.

I practiced like this and it worked for me.

Now I am very happy in this aspect.

in Vedic culture vows were treated seriously. Do not make a vow you are not sure you can keep. but if you do make a vow try like mad to keep it. if you fail - atone for it by doing tapas in mode of goodness, like chanting extra rounds of japa, feeding devotees or making donation to a temple.

Guest guest

Does it mean, feeding devotees and making donations and also doing service to gurus can clear the papas obtained through giving up a vow or anyother sins. Then rich people can do any atrocities and donate money to temples and feed others. Is that the reason people who earn money by illegal means or by hurting others, donate money on the other side thinking that they are clearing their debts.

It is not how much you donate that clears the papas (sinful reaction) but your humility of giving. Krishna can't be cheated - He will cheat you instead! One who humbly atones for his sins in a way that fits his status achieves his result easily and grows in spiritual strength.

Guest guest

Yes i did feel the way you said and i just wanted to confirm and thats why I asked. Krishna does not require money or donations, but purity of mind. A leaf or flower or just water is sufficient to please Him but it can be done only with that Divine Love.