IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

Sri Isopanishad Mantra 14

Rate this topic

This week’s Srila Siddhaswarupananda television program discusses Sri Isopanishad Mantra 14.

“One should know perfectly the Personality of Godhead Sri Krsna and His transcendental name, form, qualities and pastimes, as well as the temporary material creation with its temporary demigods, men and animals. When one knows these, he surpasses death and the ephemeral cosmic manifestation with it, and in the eternal kingdom of God he enjoys his eternal life of bliss and knowledge.” Sri Isopanishad Mantra 14

In the thirteenth mantra the point was made that these truths have been understood through disciplic succession through undisturbed authorities. Spiritual perfection means not being disturbed by the whirlpool of material nature. Material life means that you are trying to be the enjoyer of the material world and as such you are frustrated by natural forces (birth, disease, old age and death) as well as social forces (traffic lights, taxes and such). When you are no longer trying to be God then you will no longer be disturbed.

In the fourteenth mantra it describes further the nature of this person. He knows the Supreme Person, His names and qualities. He understands both the eternal nature of God and the temporary nature of this material world including the demigods, animals, and plants. He knows the nature of each and because he has knowledge of the Supreme Person then at the time of death he enters the eternal kingdom of God.

The eternal living being is in a temporary body. Unfortunately we identify with this body. We identify with the name of this body, the offspring of this body, and the possessions of this body. We view these as all expansions of ourselves. The Srimad Bhagavatam describes these people as being absorbed in “I, Me, Mine.”

We have the United Nations to take care of quarrels between all the I-Me-Miners this way everyone doesn’t blow it all up. Such people cannot enter the kingdom of God. No matter what type of body you take, you will relearn to control that body and try to dominate the world.

Here in the Sri Isopanishad it states as a fact that this material world is temporary. Sometimes people worship demigods who live for thousands of years. Some Mormons have as their highest goal to become God & lord it over their very own universe. There are countless universes and each is controlled by a particular Brahma. The Vedic scriptures describe our universe as being controlled by a Brahma with four heads, each looking in a different direction. To be Brahma the creator of the universe would be a great thing one would think. A father becomes so proud when he creates a son, and an architect likewise when he creates a building. Imagine the position one is in when they create an entire universe.

So once the Supreme Lord said something that perplexed our Lord Brahma. There was a suggestion that this Lord Brahma was not the only one around. The Supreme Lord summoned all the creators of all the universes before Him. They all came and dwarfed our Lord Brahma. Some had hundreds of heads and others thousands. Immediately our Brahma became very humbled.

This material dimension is temporary. Death exists everywhere. This is why it is called Martyaloka – the place of death. Matter comes together and again separates.

The scientists think they will overcome it. They just need to find the clock in the cell. They have been promising this for years and everyone who did so is now dead. All of the gingseng you eat, all of the vitamins you take, or the jogging that you do, the most you will get is maybe 120 years. So what? All you are doing is putting off the inevitable.

Why is there this struggle? Darwin talks of the struggle for existence. This points to the eternality of the living being. Why isn’t there a struggle to not exist? Why does Darwin take it for granted that non-existence is not desirable and foreign.

I want to exist because I am eternal. I’m struggling in this material world in this temporary situation. They suffer because they are eternal and are in the illusion that they are not. So the guy that used to be 20 looks in the mirror and is 40. He sees the tread marks of life on his face. And if you are married you mirror each other. His hair falls out and her skin droops. Then in time they both get hunched over. There is so much suffering. Still sometimes we laugh at our condition because we know it is temporary.

You ever see those movies where the trout is going upstream to lay their eggs? We are like that swimming upstream but we never make it. Someone will say “Oh you are so pessimistic.” We aren’t pessimistic we are just stating the laws of this material dimension. The material world is temporary. But there is another dimension that is not temporary. We belong to that environment that is eternal. When the eternal spirit soul achieves the eternal environment then it is home.

All of the great teachers teach to go back home back to the kingdom of God. This is our hope that you will fully appreciate the temporary nature of this world, give up trying to be immortal, and learn to know the Supreme Person. The Existentialists know its temporary but don’t know the Supreme Person. So, like Sartre, they get nausea and want to commit suicide.

Guest guest

some never think of going to god.

others - and there are many - who follow a god who makes them terrorists.

still others think of god, and just care for themselves only to go to god. so they are a bit selfish.

the best ones are those who not only try to go to god, but also teach others how to go to god. jai HK's.

still others make sure that all retain the freedom in this nasty world to worship god - krishna!

those who enjoy freedom to worship krishna, please know that the freedom not free. some ones are constantly active so that you get that freedom. without their protection, the asurs will take over and there will not be any freedom.

there is no reason to not train kshatriyas.

chanakya pandit, a brahmana, trained chandragupta a kshatriya.

drona, a bahmana, trained kshatriyas.

these brahmans were top and mighty kshatriyas as well.

jai sri krishna! -madhav

who makes them terrorists.

there are many - who follow a god who makes them terrorists.

Here I have cut and pasted something that I wrote on another thread concerning this same subject:

"Author Russell Shorto once said, " Religion doesn't kill, people do."

It is not necessarily the faith that promotes violence but the individuals interpretation of his faith. Someone predisposed to violence will see violent messages in everything they read or hear including their own holy books. This magnifies when some religious leaders are the ones that are predisposed to such violent interpretations and are able to incite more followers to violent ways.

Right now the emphasis is on the Islam violence but we have to also remember the history of the Christian Church the Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition etc.

I pray that the non-violent religious leaders of the Muslim faith can help to steer their followers onto more peaceful paths."

Abdul ghaffar Khan a renowed pacifist is Muslim.

Oliver Cromwell - violent Christian.

George Fox - founder of the Quakers (peaceful Christian)