Guest guest

Bhagavad-gita Revisions: 13.29, Purport

By Jayadvaita Swami

Posted August 6, 2003

All glories to

Srila Prabhupada!

13.29, purport:

First Edition:

The living entity, by accepting his material existence as just so much suffering, can become situated in his spiritual existence.

Second Edition:

The living entity, by accepting his material existence, has become situated differently than in his spiritual existence.

Original Manuscript:

The living entity by accepting his material existence as become differently situated from his spiritual existence.

Comment:

This is one of many instances in which the original editors, not understanding what Srila Prabhupada said, did the best they could: they supplied something which, even though not what he said, was reasonable and true.

Had I been in their shoes, I might likely have done the same thing.

The revised version is also reasonable and true— and has the added virtue of being what Srila Prabhupada clearly meant.

In the original manuscript, "as become" should have been "has become." Once you recognize that, the editorial problem solves itself.

This revision, hardly worth mentioning, I bring up only because it has been discovered and published on the web by a fuzzy-minded critic, who cites it as an example of my trying to make the text "more palitable [his spelling] for the public."

Hare Krsna.

Website

This message also appears on the following web page:

http://www.krishna.com/newsite/main.php?id=242

Interested in the differences between the first and second editions of Bhagavad-gita As It Is? You'll find more than 150 examples at this address:

www.krishna.com/newsite/GitaRevsExplained.html

There you'll see the published versions side by side with the text of the original manuscripts. And the graphic format of the web helps you see at a glance what the revisions are and where they're coming from.

For anyone who has concerns about the editing of Bhagavad-gita As It Is, this is a must-see.

Subscription And Copyright Information

This is an "information-only" conference, not a discussion conference. The only person who can post texts to it is me. (Queries and comments may be sent to me privately.)

The conference is public. If you are a member of the PAMHO e-mail system, you can join or leave it on your own— no need to send a request to the Sysop or to me. E-mail users who are not on PAMHO can join or leave the conference by sending me a request at <jayadvaita.swami@pamho.net>.

The First and Second Editions of Bhagavad-gita As It Is are © 1972, 1983 by The Bhaktivedanta Book Trust. Except where I have included quotations from non-BBT sources, the rest of this message, and of the conference as a whole, is © 1999-2003 by The Bhaktivedanta Book Trust International, Inc. All rights reserved.

Hare Krsna.