IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

"Bhubaneshwar" means the "abode of God"

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Bhubaneswar

The ancient capital of the Kalinga empire, and now the capital of Orissa, Bhubaneswar's history goes back over 2000 years. "Bhubaneshwar" means the "abode of God" or "master of the universe" and it was also once known as the 'Cathedral of the East', on account of the large number of shrines. At one time, the Bindu Sagar tank was bordered by over 7000 temples. Of these, 500 still survive, all built in the extravagant Oriya style. It is of these temples that a great poet, once said - 'At all places where the eye rests, and also at places where the eye does not rest, the busy chisel of the artist has worked incessantly. The abode of God has been enveloped by a variety of figures depicting the good and the evil, the great as well as the insignificant, the daily occurences of human life....'

Guest guest

Taken From Lectures by Srila Gour Govinda Swami

We should not disrespect the demigods, they may not be the Supreme Lord, but they are still the servants of Krishna. Mahaprabhu has especially taught us this about Lord Siva, "Vaisnavanam yatha sambhu — Siva is a great vaisnava." Therefore Mahaprabhu visited Bhubaneswar and offered respects to Sivaji who is known as ‘Ksetrapala’— ‘He who guards the ksetra.’

In Vraja-mandala you will also find that nine Ksetrapala Mahadeva murtis are there. In Vrindavan you will find Gopeswar Mahadeva, in Kamyavana you will find Kameswar Mahadeva, and at Govardhan there is Cakreswar Mahadeva. In Nandagrama you will find Nandeswar Mahadeva, and in Mathura you will find Bhuteswar Mahadeva, Gokarneswar, Cakleswar, Brdhyeswar and Rangeswar. Besides these, there are many, many Siva temples in Mathura.

In the Adi Varaha Purana it is mentioned how Lord Vishnu ordered Sivaji: "In Mathura you shall become Ksetrapala to guard My ksetra. If someone pays respect to you and has your darsana then he will actually get the result of circumambulating My ksetra." Those who circumambulate Vrindavan, at the beginning and at the end of the Vrindavan parikrama, they visit Bhuteswar Siva in Mathura because; vaisnavanam yatha sambhu — ‘Siva is a great Vaisnava.’

Caitanya-bhagavata

Bhubaneswar ksetra is also Siva’s dhama. That is mentioned in the Caitanya-bhagavata. Therein Sri Vrindavan das Thakura has described Bhubaneswar.

When Sriman Mahaprabhu was on His way to Jagannatha Puri He passed through Bhubaneswar. He visited the Lingaraj temple because that Bhubaneswar Lingaraj is a very dear servant of Anantadeva. Caitanya-bhagavat mentions: "Sriman Mahaprabhu came to Bhubaneswar and chanted and danced before Lord Siva in the Bhubaneswar temple." So following in the footsteps of Sriman Mahaprabhu all vaisnavas came here and visited Bhubaneswar to see Lord Siva. They all chanted and danced here.

The Skanda Purana also mentions Bhubaneswar ksetra. Once, in Kasi, Varanasi, there was a King who was a great devotee of Lord Siva, but his desires where unfulfilled. That King underwent severe penances in order to conquer Lord Krishna. He was doing tapasya to satisfy Lord Siva with the desire to conquer Krishna.

Who can understand the behavior of a vaisnava? Even the demigods cannot understand it, then what to speak of the human beings? Sivaji became pleased with the King’s tapasya and told him: "All right. You go and fight against Krishna. I will follow you to support and help you." So that King started for battle, followed by Lord Siva and all his followers. Krishna, who is known as Vasudeva, Devakinandana, could understand all this. Thus He released His sudarsana cakra. Sudarsana first cut off the head of the king, and then that cakra cut off the heads of all the Siva bhaktas of Kasi. Varanasi turned into a crematorium ground with everyone dead. Lord Siva then became very angry and released his pasupata-astra. But what can the pasupata-astra do in front of Krishna's sudarsana cakra? It could not do anything, and at last Siva became frightened. He tried to run away, but where could he go? Then Siva understood, "Except for Krishna, no one can save me now." So he surrendered to the lotus feet of Krishna, Govinda, and offered many prayers. Siva said: "O Lord of my heart, I have only one prayer. I am always very puffed up and I have this great false ego. But now I have understood that I cannot leave You. I cannot stay anywhere else, so please tell me where shall I live now?"

This is all described in the Skanda Purana and Sri Vrindavan das Thakura has also written about it in Caitanya-bhagavata.

Ekamra-kanana

Then Lord Vasudeva says: "My ksetra is there at Purusottama Ksetra, and in the north of that ksetra is a place called ‘Ekamra-kanana.’ Ekamra-kanana, is a very auspicious place which can give one bhukti and mukti. It is a very nice and beautiful place. You will stay there and be known as ‘Bhubaneswar.’ I shall give you this Ekamra-kanana. You go and stay there and become the guard of that ksetra — ksetrapala."

This Bhubaneswar is known as ‘Hemacala’, and ‘Svarnadi Ksetra.’ In this place there are crores and crores, koti lingam, of Sivajis. The eight famous tirthas are also present there. It is superior to Varanasi and more dear to Lord Siva. In the Svarnadi-mahadeva-grantha it is described that once Vyasadeva came here. This Ekamra-kanana is a vaisnava ksetra, so Vyasadeva has described its glories.

It is mentioned that once Devi Bhagavati, Goddess Parvati, was hearing the glories of Ekamra-kanana from the lips of Lord Siva. So we know that also Bhagavati-devi came to see this ksetra. She saw the maha-linga, the form in which Siva is worshiped. That Linga has the complexion of half white and half black — sitasita varna. Devi also offered puja to that Maha-linga.

One day Devi saw that from a lake hundreds of cows were coming and pouring milk from their udders onto that maha-linga. They circumambulated the linga and then went away. On another day when she saw the same thing again, she assumed the form of a gopalini, a cowherd girl, and followed the cows. At that time, two demon brothers appeared, named Kriti and Vasa. They were very much enchanted by the beauty of Parvati-devi and so they approached her and expressed their desire that they wanted to have her as their wife. Bhagavati-devi disappeared from that place and went to Lord Siva where she narrated everything before her Lord. Lord Siva then assumed the form of a gopa, a cowherd boy, and went there. Lord Siva then understand the history of these two demons. Lord Siva revealed that these two demons Kriti and Vasa were the sons of a raksasa named Drumilla. Drumilla had worshiped many demigods who became pleased and gave him a boon that his two sons could not be killed by any weapon. Sivaji told her, "Now they will be killed by you, O Devi. They will not be killed by any weapons so I cannot kill them, but you will kill them." Thus getting the instruction from Sivaji, Devi in the form of a cowherd girl came before those two demons and said: "All right. I shall fulfill your desires. But I have one condition: He who can carry me on his shoulder or head, I shall become his wife." Then Bhagavati-devi manifested her potency, placing one foot on the shoulder of one demon and the other on the shoulder of the other demon, and she crushed both of them. They were killed as Bhagavati assumed the form of Visvambari, visvambari-rupa. Visva means universe. She expanded herself as Visvambari and crushed the two demons. From that day Sambhu and Devi Bhagavati have stayed in this ksetra known as Ekamra-kanana.

Guest guest

"This Krishna consciousness movement will go down in history as having saved the world in it's momentous hour of need."

"I wish that it will be noted down in history that this Krishna Consciousness Movement is responsible for saving the world. Practically, our Movement is the only hope for saving the world from complete disaster."

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Letter to: Sucandra -- Bombay 1 January, 1972

Ramesvara: "Prabhupada said this past week that in the future, historians will study this period of world history, how this movement has changed the world. He said in the future they will just note this period, how the world is being changed."

Prabhupada: "Yes, a new Renaissance. What is called? Renaissance?"

Ramesvara: "Renaissance."

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Room Conversation with Sannyasis -- January 22, 1977, Bhubaneswar

Guest guest

A Speech by His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Srila Prabhupada. Recorded on February 2nd 1977 in Bhubaneswar, India

My foreign disciples, they could not understand either Hindi or Oriya. So for this movement, I am very much obliged to these American boys. The history of this movement is that my Guru Maharaja, His Divine Grace Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura, and before him, Bhaktivinoda Thakura, they had an intense desire to preach Caitanya Mahaprabhu's message throughout the whole world. That was the intense desire of Caitanya Mahaprabhu.

prthivite ache yata nagaradi-grama

sarvatra pracara haibe mora nama

He wanted it. Because this is the only message to bring the human society into oneness. There is no other alternative. That is confirmed in the Srimad-Bhagavatam:.

kaler dosa-nidhe rajann

asti hy eko mahan gunah

kirtanad eva krsnasya

mukta-sangah param vrajet

So this Kali-yuga, as described by our Gour-Govinda Maharaja, a bhankara yuga. But there is one opportunity, kirtanad eva krsnasya mukta-sangah param vrajet. This is the message of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, and a little attempt was made at the age of seventy years. Of course, my Guru Maharaja asked me... When I was twenty-five years old, I first met him. He asked me to do this task. But I thought that "Let me adjust my family life, and then I shall do this." But I took it very seriously. But family life, never it was adjusted, so he forced me at the ripe old age to take up this work. So I tried to make an experiment that nobody had done: "Let me try." But I tried sincerely, so by the grace of my Guru... Guru-Krsna, they favored me. When I was on the Commonwealth Jetty, Pier, yes, I was thinking that "Who will hear me? As soon as I shall say to these people that ‘No illicit sex, no meat-eating, no intoxication and no gambling,' immediately they will say, ‘Please go home. Don't talk here.' Because I know that. This is their daily life. But by the grace of Krsna they agreed. All these students, all these disciples... I do not accept anyone as my disciple that "You can do whatever you like." No. My first condition is that "You must be sinless." At least you must try to become sinless, because in the Bhagavad-gita we understand,

yesam tv anta-gatam papam

jananam punya-karmanam

te dvandva-moha-nirmukta

bhajante mam drdha vrata

[bg. 7.28]

Without being sinless, one cannot make any advance. So Caitanya Mahaprabhu introduced this movement. Ceto-darpana-marjanam [Cc. Antya 20.12]. That is the first installment. Actually, if we chant Hare Krsna mantra, the first installment is that we cleanse our heart. It is simply misunderstanding. Krsna also wanted to start this movement. When He instructed Arjuna, the first word He spoke:

dehino 'smin yatha dehe

kaumaram yauvanam jara

tatha dehantara-praptir

dhiras tatra na muhyati

[bg. 2.13]

So in this age practically there is nil who is a dhira. Everyone is adhira. But the sankirtana movement is so nice, as it is spoken by Srinivasa Acarya on behalf of Narottama dasa Thakura, krsnot-kirtana-gana-nartana parau premamrtambho-nidhi dhiradhira-jana-priyau. This movement is so nice that it will be pleasing to the dhiras and the adhiras.

dhiradhira-jana-priyau priya-karau nirmatsarau pujitau

sri-caitanya-krpa-bharau bhuvi bhuvo bharavahantarakau

vande rupa-sanatanau raghu-yugau sri-jiva-gopalakau

So the disease is there, but the remedy is also there. Ceto-darpana-marjanam [Cc. Antya 20.12]. We are misunderstanding. The human society, they are trying to adjust things by the United Nations, but it is not possible. United Nations cannot do. In Melbourne I was speaking, so I accused the United Nations, "They're assembly of barking dogs." Because you cannot be united on this material platform. If you keep yourself that "I am dog,I am tiger,I am American,I am Indian,I am brahmana,I am sudra," then there is no question of United Nations. United Nations is possible when sarvopadhi-vinirmuktam tat-paratvena nirmalam [Cc. Madhya 19.170]. You have to become purified on Krsna consciousness, not "I am American," not "I am Indian." No. This will not help.

sarvopadhi-vinirmuktam

tat-paratvena nirmalam

hrsikena hrsikesa-

sevanam bhaktir ucyate

[Cc. Madhya 19.170]

So factually we see that these Americans, Europeans, they are Christian, Jews, or there are Muhammadans also in our movement, Africans, all over the world, but they no more think that he is African or Indian or American. They think Krsna dasa. As Caitanya Mahaprabhu taught us, jivera svarupa haya nitya krsna dasa [Cc. Madhya 20.108-109]. Unless we come to that platform, that we are servants of Krsna, there is no question of unity. That is brahma-bhutah stage.

brahma-bhutah prasannatma

na socati na kanksati

samah sarvesu bhutesu

mad-bhaktim labhate param

[bg. 18.54]

Unless you come to that brahma-bhutah stage, that "I am not this body. I am soul, aham brahmasmi. I am part and parcel of the Supreme Brahman" -- param brahma param dhama pavitram paramam bhavan [bg. 10.12] -- there is no question of unity. So Caitanya Mahaprabhu wanted to introduce this movement how actually there can be possibility of being united. That is possible. That is not difficult because they are all sons of Krsna. Sarva-yonisu kaunteya sambhevanti..., aham bija-pradah pita [bg. 14.4]. He's the original father. So this Krsna consciousness movement is trying to introduce in the human society, and not on my conviction, on the assurance of the sastras, that if you want to be united, you'll have to come to this platform of Krsna consciousness; otherwise it is not possible.

So I do not wish to take much of your time. It is already late. Kindly take little prasadam, whatever they have arranged, and I thank you very much for your coming in this occasion. And I must also thank Srimati Ananda, this young girl. Out of her own accord, she contributed this piece of land so that we can begin Krsna consciousness movement in this city.

Thank you very much.

Guest guest

ISKCON World Review -- Vol. 14 No. 2 -- July/August 1995

Radha-Gopinatha Temple Inaugurated in Bhubaneswar

By Madhavananda dasa

BHUBANESWAR, India -- On April 9, the anniversary of the appearance of Lord Ramachandra (Ram Navami), ISKCON inaugurated a temple in Bhubaneswar as part of a growing center here. Approximately 100,000 people attended the three-day festivities, after which the King of Puri (Puri is one of India's four major pilgrimage sites), His Excellency Gajapati Shri Shri Divya Singha Deva, officially opened the temple. The king then took darshan of the Deities and offered arati to Their Lordships.

Elaborate ceremonies to prepare the Deities for installation culminated in the placing of Their Lordships Sri Sri Radha-Gopinatha and Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu on the temple altar. Eight priests from around the world came to perform the sacred rituals, one of which involved placing the Deities before large containers of water to be "bathed" in Their reflections overnight in mirrors placed in the water. The following evening a ceremony called dhanyadivasa took place, during which the Deities were placed on beds of unhusked rice, sesame, and darbha grass. These ceremonies, along with the grand daily Deity processions consisting of kirtana, a shenai band, and priests chanting various Vedic mantras, provided a transcendental atmosphere everyone seemed to appreciate.

After the installation, the King of Puri gave a speech in which he said: "One and all should come and take shelter of Krishna. One has to render bhakti (devotion) to get that shelter." Gour Govinda Swami, the Co-GBC for Orissa under whose guidance the temple project has been developing since 1975, told the audience this Bhubaneswara dhama is the gateway to Sri Purushottama ksetra, or Jagannatha Puri dhama. Lord Jagannatha (Krishna) in Puri is feeling the pangs of separation from Radharani, His eternal consort, he explained. Krishna cannot stay without Radharani, and though the temple in Bhubaneswar already had Deities of Sri Sri Krishna-Balarama which were installed under the instructions of Srila Prabhupada, many people would ask about Radharani. In Orissa there are many Gopinatha temples such as Saksi-Gopinatha (also known as Saksi-Gopala), Ksira-cora-Gopinatha, and Tota-Gopinatha, the Deity of Gadadhara Pandit. Therefore, Maharaja said, Radharani and Gopinatha have also come to this temple.

Standing an imposing 40-feet high, the Bubaneswar temple building is a wonder of architecture. Made in the form of a giant, half-opened lotus flower, it combines modern architecture with traditional Orissan form. The lotus temple is the latest addition to the project here. A combined auditorium and festival site is under construction at the center.

The Bubaneswar project was one of the last temples Srila Prabhupada founded. At the time of the cornerstone laying ceremony in 1977, Srila Prabhupada said that this ISKCON project would become one of the best temples in the world. Now, just a few years after the main temple has been opened, thousands of people are coming on a regular basis. On Janmastami day, approximately 100,000 people come each year to take darshan of the Deities and receive Their prasadam.

When the property was first donated to ISKCON, the devotees suggested to Srila Prabhupada that they use it as a farm project, and build a temple in Puri, since the Bhubaneswar property at that time was in a remote location. But Srila Prabhupada refused, saying that he wanted a temple built there. " This site will become the center of the city ," he said. At that time, the devotees didn't understand what Srila Prabhupada was saying, because town was a considerable distance away. Years later, the fastest developing area in Bhubaneswar is located right around the temple.

Guest guest

A brief life sketch of His Divine Grace Srila Gour Govinda Swami

Perfect Humility

Trnad api sunicena taror iva sahisnuna amanina manadena kirtanyah sada harih

“One should chant the Holy Name of the Lord in a humble state of mind, thinking oneself lower than the straw in the street: one should be more tolerant than a tree, devoid of all sense of false prestige, and should be ready to offer all respect to others. In such a state of mind one can chant the Holy Name of the Lord constantly.”

Sri Sri Siksastaka verse 3.

Sri Srimad Gour Govinda Swami Maharaja practically lived all his life based on this verse. He often said, “This is the most important teaching of Sriman Mahaprabhu! Srila Kaviraja Gosvami has said, “Make a garland of this verse and place it around your neck, then do hari-bhajan. This is Mahaprabhu’s most important teaching. Mahaprabhu is an ideal acarya. As an ideal acarya, He is teaching practically. He Himself practiced in His own life. He never spoke theoretically!”

An Ideal Acharya

Srila Gour Govinda Swami Maharaja appeared on the Holy appearance day of Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura in a small mud hut in the village of Jagannatha Pura in Orissa, India, in a family of pure vaisnavas. His grandfather was a pure devotee of Lord Krishna. By the age of eight he had read Caitanya-caritamrta, Srimad Bhagavatam , Bhagavad Gita and Ramayana, and he would explain them to others.

He regularly went on padayatra from village to village chanting Hare Krishna Maha-Mantra and songs of Srila Narottama Das Thakura and other Vaisnava Acaryas from his very childhood. His love for Srimad Bhagavatam was so deep and intense that at night, he would read Srimad Bhagavatam in the meager light of the cooking fire, as the family had no money for lamp oil.

Guest guest

A Life of Loving Devotion

Page 2 of 5

The following excerpts have been taken from the book called, “Krsnalingita-vigraha: One Who is Always Embraced by Krsna.”

Early Childhood

Whenever as young boy he would become naughty and not stop crying, his mother would simply put the Srimad-Bhagavatam in his hands and he would stop crying. He was so much inclined to read the Srimad Bhagavatam, that if he were reading he would forget to take his meals. The family was too poor to afford candles or a lamp for reading, so in the evening he would sit close to the cooking fire and read Srimad-Bhagavatam. At night he would go to sleep clutching the Srimad Bhagavatam to his chest.

A Family of Vaishnavas

His mother and father were very fond of studying and reading the scriptures. They would regularly read to their son. Srila Gour Govinda Swami Maharaja recalls, ”I would regularly listen to Krishna katha from my parents, they would read different Puranas to me and other Vedic literature: Srimad Bhagavatam, Mahabharata, etc. Such an opportunity I received at such an early age! From then I was singing, dancing, doing kirtana and listening to Srimad Bhagavatam.“ His father would read to him from Srimad Bhagavatam, completing all twelve cantos once a year. He was completely absorbed in pure love for Sri Sri Radha Gopal Jiu.

A Life of Purity

His whole life prior to meeting his spiritual master His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Srila Prabhupada, was one of purity, preparation and devotion. In search of his eternal spiritual master he left home with only two gamchas (short dhoti), a bamboo stick, a begging bowl, and no money. He completely depended on Krishna for everything. He would walk and talk about Krishna to the devotees, eat whatever Krishna would provide and sleep under any tree at night. As a mendicant, he visited many Holy tirthas, from the Himalayas to Cape Comorin in South India.

Meeting Srila Prabhupada

During his first meeting with Srila Prabhupada in Sri Vrindavan, Srila Prabhupada asked him, Have you taken sannyasa?, He said, No. Then Srila Prabhupada said immediately, “I will give you sannyasa.” Thereafter, Srila Prabhupada gave him first initiation in Sridham Mayapur, second initiation in Bombay, and sannyasa in Sri Vrindavan, India.

A Devotee from Birth

Srila Prabhupada quoted the following verse at the time of giving Sannyasa to Srila Gour Govinda Swami, “The Supreme Personality of Godhead said: One who is unattached to the fruits of his work and who works as he is obligated, is in the renounced order of life, and he is the true mystic, not he who lights no fire and performs no duty.” He uttered this verse and said, “He is a real sannyasi” and then gave him the sannyasa mantra and danda. Shortly thereafter, many sannyasis and GBC members started complaining, “How has he taken sannyasa? He is a new man!” Then Srila Prabhupada told them, “He is a devotee from his birth - you are new men!”

Guest guest

Page 3 of 5

Instructions of Srila Prabhupada

Srila Prabhupada told him, “You will take me to Orissa.” Orissa is the Holy place where Lord Caitanya performed His most confidential pastimes. Also, Bhubaneswar is the gateway to Sri Jagannatha Puri. Under Srila Prabhupada's order, Srila Gour Govinda Swami single-handedly underwent extreme hardships to begin the creation of a magnificent temple. In February, 1977, the year of Srila Prabhupada's physical disappearance pastime, at his own insistence, Srila Prabhupada refused to stay in a government guesthouse and spent 17 days in the mud hut personally built for him by Srila Gour Govinda Swami. By the order of Srila Prabhupada, his intimate private instructions to Sri Gour Govinda Swami during those 17 days were kept confidential. No tape recordings were permitted. In perfect humility Srila Gour Govinda Swami disclosed to Srila Prabhupada that he desired to be the tail (follower) but Srila Prabhupada ordered him to be the head (leader).

Preaching - His Life and Soul

A few years after Srila Prabhupada's disappearance, in Sri Mayapur he manifested extreme ecstatic conditions. (For details of these pastimes please read chapter 32 of Krsnalingita-vigraha) Then he returned to Bhubaneswar with more intensity to fulfill the order of Srila Prabhupada. While other devotees who were told to assist left Bhubaneswar due to extreme austere conditions, he remained determined, and went through extreme hardships to fulfill the mission and instructions of Srila Prabhupada. He would sleep 2-3 hours a day, eat only once, and then go door-to-door preaching the message of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu. The rest of the time, he would spend translating Srila Prabhupada's books into Oriya.

Guest guest

Page 4 of 5

Mission Fulfilled

In 1991, on Lord Nityananda's appearance day, after 16 years of struggle, Srila Prabhupada's last founded project, Sri Sri Krishna Balarama Mandir was completed. The magnificent temple and guest house was built, but he, with complete humility and simplicity, stayed in a portion of the mud hut that he had built for Srila Prabhupada. Srila Prabhupada is worshiped in his bhajan-kutir with full dedication and devotion.

The Perfect Example

His worldwide preaching took him to America, Africa, Europe, Asia, Mauritius, Australia, and India - especially to the rural villages of Orissa. He always practiced what he preached - compassion toward all living entities, true kindness, childlike simplicity, innocence, complete detachment, absolute tolerance, extensive spiritual blissfulness, exclusive devotion and complete surrender to Sriman Mahaprabhu, an unseen level of humility and unflinching faith in Srila Prabhupada. Without caring for his personal comfort and undergoing many austerities, he preached very dynamically and very purely all over the world. The mellifluous nectar emanating from his lotus mouth during his ecstatic kirtans made people dance and cry. His devotional discourses based on Sri Bhaktivedanta purports are full of sastric evidences and exuberant explanations. They inspired people to surrender to the chanting of the Holy Name of Krishna in the mood of separation, as taught by Sriman Chaitanya Mahaprabhu.

A Fearless Preacher

Srila Gour Govinda Swami Maharaja's knowledge of scripture was formidable. He would substantiate everything he said with evidence from all over the Vedic literature. He would always preach fearlessly and would never compromise the conclusions of the scriptures in the name of being practical. During his powerful, informative, heart shattering and devotional lectures, he inspired numerous devotees. He used every moment of every day to fulfill Srila Prabhupada's desire to preach in every town and village the Holy Name of Krishna.

He is a perfect example of the trnad api sunichena verse. Although very meek and humble in his personal dealing, in his classes he would roar like a lion, smashing the pride and cutting the misconceptions from the hearts and minds of his disciples and followers. His authentic simplicity can be seen by looking at the small mud hut he lived in while he was in Bhubaneswar. His samadhi mandir has been built in the same mud hut.

Sri Nityananda Prema

Every year in Bhubaneswar, on Lord Nityananda's appearance day he would flood the audience with most nectarean, ecstatic and divine Nityananda prema bhajans and speak about Lord Nityananda's nectarean pastimes. During these ecstatic bhajans and lectures, his extreme ecstasy could not be checked. He would make everybody present there dip in the deep, nectarean sweetest ocean of Gauranga prema data Lord Nityananda's prema rasa

Guest guest

Page 5 of 5

Lord Caitanya said to Srila Ramananda Raya and Svarup Damodara Goswami:

"Love of Godhead, devoid of cheating propensities, is not possible within this material world. If there is such a love, there cannot be separation, for if there is separation, how can one live."

Cc. ML, 2.42.

Divine Disappearance

Srila Gour Govinda Swami's disappearance pastime perfectly exemplified the highest level of surrender and separation from Krishna as explained by Sriman Caitanya Mahaprabhu in the above verse. During Centennial year, he made a wonderful offering of himself at the beautiful lotus feet of Srila Prabhupada, on the divine appearance day of Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakur. At an auspicious moment in Sri Mayapur Dham, he dove into divine trance of pure devotion while narrating the ecstatic Mahabhava condition of Sri Krishna's reunion with Srimati Radharani in Vrindavan after a long separation. He mentioned how, “...after a long separation Krsna came back to Vraja Bhumi and then the eyes of Krsna fell on the eyes of Srimati Radharani - Eye to Eye union.” Overwhelmed with ecstatic love and unbearable separation from Srimati Radhika and Shyamsundar he could speak no more and gave his final instruction: “Nama kora! Nama Karo!” (chant the Holy Name) and called out, “Gopal!” and returned to His beloved Lordships Sri Sri Radha Gopal Jiu in Sri Golok Vrindavan Dham.

Contributions (to name a few)

Inculcates & nourishes the seed of Bhakti in the hearts of all sincere seekers of Krishna prema, with his pure Sri Krishna Katha.

Emphasized unflinching faith in Sadhu, Sri Guru and Sastra.

Uncompromisingly adhering to the siddhantas.

Perfect example of pure humility in his personal dealings.

Illumined the wonderful gems hidden in Sri Bhaktivedanta purports.

Going through severe austere conditions he completed Srila Prabhupada's last founded project in Bhubaneswar- Sri Sri Krishan Balarama Mandir.

Established the annual Orissan Padyatra on Srila Prabhupada's disappearance day that takes Sri Sri Gour Nitai in a bullock cart to villages to promote the Holy Name of Sri Krsna.

Offered beautiful lotus bud temple to Srila Prabhupada at Centennial.

Renovated the historic Sri Alarnath Temple.

Lead the most noble cause of reforestation project for Lord Jagannath of Puri. More than 125,000 trees were planted for building of the Ratha-yatra cart and cooking.

Translated volumes of Srila Prabhupada's books into Oriya.

Initiated construction of a grand new temple for Sri Sri Radha Gopal Jui of Gadai Giri & Sri Ram temple in Berhampur, Orrisa.

Fulfilled Srila Prabhupada's desire for a magnificent temple where lord Sri Sri Jagannath, Baladeva, and Subhadra devi give darshan to all devotees.

Taught simplicity by his own example.

Teachings (to name a few)

Param pujay Srila Gour Govinda Swami Maharaja dispelled the doubts of those who came to him for shelter and spiritual guidance. He would place great stress on the offenseless chanting of the Holy Name encouraging and inspiring all to achieve the pure state of chanting - prema nama - he would always say, “chant without offense, chant the pure name, get Krsna prema and get Krsna in this very life!” He practiced and preached complete surrender, not partial or conditional surrender, but complete 100 percent surrender to the instructions of his spiritual master Srila Prabhupada.

The Last Limit of Bhakti

One of the main aspects of his preaching was to reveal the inner-most secrets of Puri-Bhubaneswar Dham of Lord Jagannatha and why Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu stayed in Puri. He gave the most subtle and lucid understanding of the Lord's pastimes in Jagannath Puri. Speaking about Gauranga Maharpabhu, he said, “If prema bhakti is added to Krsna, that is Caitanya. Therefore, Sacinandana Gauranga is the Supreme Absolute Truth, Parama Tattva, Bhagavan, but with Bhakti-naipunya added to it. And in the Gauranga form you will find two things combined together - Sambhoga and Vipralamabha. These two things combined together, that is Gauranga. That is bhakti-naipunya - the last limit of bhakti.” Sri

The Lotus Feet of Sri Guru

Sri Guru vandana - a personal offering to Srila Prabhupada from Srila Gour Govinda Swami - was complied from the lecturers delivered by him: “The lotus feet of Sri Guru are the abode of pure bhakti, kevala-bhakti sadma. I offer my prayers and respectful obeisances there with utmost care, savadhana mate. I shall never become careless. One should understand what is the meaning of sri-guru-carana-padam. These words sri guru are very significant. What is the meaning of Sri? Sri means shoba, sampada, srestha, Sri means beauty, it means transcendental wealth, and it also means the topmost. These are meanings of 'Sri'. Then what is the meaning of Sri Guru? Sri Guru refers to that Guru who is endowed with Sri, that is prema bhakti. And this word 'Sri' is only applicable to a guru who is always manifested. It is not that the Guru is ever un-manifest. There is no question of His disappearance. He is eternally manifest and thus He is called Sri Guru. Therefore this word 'Sri' is used, otherwise this word cannot be used.”

Guest guest

In late January 1996, Gour Govinda Swami mentioned, "Srila Bhaktisiddhanta said that this material world is not a fit place for any gentleman. Therefore, because he was disgusted, he left this world prematurely. I may also leave. I don’t know. Let me ask Gopal. I will do whatever He wants." The next day he went to Gadeigiri to see Gopal. After returning, for the next four days he lectured before thousands of people at the Prabhupada Centennial festival in Bhubaneswar. Then he left for the annual ISKCON management meetings in Sridhama Mayapur.

Ghanashyam recalls his discussion with Gour Govinda Swami during this last visit to Gadeigiri:

We were talking about Gopal’s new temple and installing large deities of Radha Gopal to go with the existing small ones. Suddenly Gurudeva told me, "I won’t see this deity installation. You will see it, but I won’t."

I said, "How is that? You are ten years younger than I am. If you won’t see it how will I?"

Gurudeva said, "No, no. You will see the inauguration of the temple and the deity because you have served Gopal so nicely. Uncle [Gopinath Giri] died thirty years ago and you went through so much difficulty to take care of Gopal. You continued all of the festivals, sarat-rasa, vasanta-rasa, etc. That is why Gopal is kind to you. So you will see Gopal’s new temple."

That was the last discussion I had with Gurudeva. After that he went to Bhubaneswar for a few days and then to Mayapur where he stayed forever.

In Mayapur on 9 February 1996, the holy appearance day of Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakur, two senior ISKCON devotees requested an appointment in the early evening to see Gour Govinda Maharaja. They inquired, "Why did Chaitanya Mahaprabhu stay in Jagannath Puri?" He enthusiastically began to explain the confidential significance of Mahaprabhu’s pastimes in Puri. He described the pains of separation felt by Radha and Krishna when Krishna was away from Vrindavan. He gradually unfolded the pastime to the point where Radha and Krishna were finally united after Their long separation. He described how Krishna became so ecstatic upon seeing Radharani that He manifested a form with big round eyes and shrunken limbs, Lord Jagannath. At that time the devotees noticed that tears had come to his eyes and his voice had become choked up. Barely audibly, he said, "Then the eyes of Krishna fell upon the eyes of Radharani. Eye-to-eye union." Unable to continue, he apologized with folded hands, "Please excuse me. I cannot speak." He then gave his final instruction: "Kirtan! Kirtan!" The devotees present began to chant as he calmly lay back on his bed, breathing slowly and deeply. Upon his request a servant placed a picture of Gopal Jiu in his hand. Then, gazing lovingly at that picture of his worshipable deity, Gour Govinda Swami said, "Gopal!" Then his eyes closed and he lost external consciousness.

One devotee quickly ran to bring a doctor. Kaviraj Dr. D. K. Brahma M.D. recalls:

Just before sandhya arati a devotee came to my residence and told me that Gour Govinda Swami was having some problem breathing and could I come to see him. When I arrived, Maharaja was lying down. Some doctors had come before me and had said that Maharaja had already passed away. Others were saying that we should take him to Krishnanagar and give him treatment in the Government hospital. I took his pulse and found that he was still alive.

I told them, "Just wait. Give me another twelve minutes time, then I may tell you to take him."

If they would have taken him to the Government hospital it means they would have been pumping his chest, thinking it was a heart attack. However, according to his pulse there was nothing wrong with him. His pulse only showed that he was taking rest. The Ayurvedic science teaches how to diagnose a patient by taking his pulse. If something is wrong we can feel it. But I never found anything wrong with Maharaja. According to his pulse everything was normal.

By the second or third time I read Maharaja’s pulse it had become clear that he had left. Some say that he had a heart attack, but if someone dies from a heart attack generally we find that they suffer a lot. They also generally have some previous history of a weak heart. In Maharaja’s case, none of these things were there. Maharaja had the symptoms of asta-sattvika-vikara, ecstatic transformations, on his body. One kind of vikara is that one doesn’t want to stay here any longer, they want to go back to the spiritual abode, back to Krishna. Nothing in Maharaja’s body failed, he just left. I am 100% sure of that. I’ve never seen this kind of death before.

Gopal Jiu The Beloved Deity of Srila Gour Govinda Swami is available from Gopal Jiu Publications. To order copies contact:

Krishna Culture, PO Box 926337

Houston TX 77292

krsnacultr@aol.com

Madhavananda Das

madhavananda.ggs@bbt.se

Guest guest

Delightful story from the book "Gopal Jui"

This is a delightful story of how Ghanashyam Giri was to donate the Deity of Gopal Jiu to HH Gour Govinda Maharaja, and how there was a delay in this giving, and how some extraordinary dreams expedited the final transfer of Gopal Jiu into the care of HH Gour Govinda Maharaja.

Here is the account:

About 2:30 one morning (this is Ghanashyam Giri telling) I had a dream. Gopal (the Deity) came and was standing near my head. He said, “Why are you sleeping? Wake up! So many troubles have come to you, but have you felt any difficulty? No, because I am always behind you. Now you are alone. How can you arrange all type of festivals for Me? I am always very interested to hear nama-sankirtan. Gour Govinda Swami is your own relative. Why don’t you give Me to him? So, now tell Me, will you give Me or not?”

In the dream I said, “Yes. Yes. I will give.”

Suddenly my wife woke me up and said, “What are you saying? What will you give? To whom will you give? You are speaking like a madman. What happened?”

I told her that Gopal had just come and asked me if I was going to give Him to Gour Govinda Swami or not and I said, “Yes. Yes. I will give. I will give.” I told her, “Gopal was standing near that window. He just left.”

My wife said gently, “Go and donate Gopal to Srila Gurudeva. Whatever property you have you should also give to him. If he takes Gopal then Gopal will be happy and He will be taken care of nicely. You will be able to see Gopal here every day. Why are you hesitating?” in this way my doubts were cleared.

The next day I was preparing to go to Bhubaneswar to see Gour Govinda Swami, but I heard that Gurudeva was coming to Gadeigiri. So I stayed and waited for his arrival. He came a few days later and I met with him.

He asked me, “How are you? What about Gopal?”

Gurudeva looked at me for a moment and laughed. He said, “What has happened to you? What has brought about this change?” He said, “Has Gopal spoken to you?”

I said “Yes Gurudeva, Gopal spoke to me.”

Then Gurudeva asked me, “What day was it that He spoke to you, and what time?”

I told him, “Twelve days before, at 2:30 in the morning.”

Gurudeva nodded his head up and down. “Gopal came and spoke with me on the same morning at 2:00 a.m., then at 2:30 He came to you. That morning I was translating the Bhagavatam into Oriya. I dozed off for a few moments. Gopal came to me and said, “You installed Radha-Gopinatha here. Has Gopinatha replaced Me in your life?”

[srila Gour Govinda Swami had commissioned a sculptor to make deities of Radha and Krishna to be exactly the same height, width, standing position, etc., as Radha Gopal in Gadeigiri, and had installed them on the ISKCON property at Bhubaneswar, naming them “Radha-Gopinatha”.]

Gopal again asked Srila Gurudeva, “Is Gopinatha the same for you as Me?”

With folded hands Gurudeva replied, “No.”

Then Gopal said, “You are worshipping here, but I can’t come here. Gadeigiri is the house of My devotees. They have no wealth, but their mind is always on Me. Even if they only offer Me a tulasi leaf and a little water I am happy there. They are always saying, ‘Gopal! Gopal!’ I cannot leave them and come here. You are not doing any service for Me because Ghanashyam has not given Me to you. He promised, “Unless Gopal tells me to give Him to Gour Govinda Swami I will not give Him.” Gopal then said, “I will speak to Ghanashyam. First I have met with you and now I am going to Ghanashyam.”

While Gurudeva and I were speaking, one of my family members was there. They said, “you are always talking about donating Gopal, but you are only speaking and not giving.”

I said, “No, today I must donate Gopal to Gurudeva. Bring tulasi and water and chant mantra.”

Gurudeva asked, “How will you donate to me?”

I said, “As Srimad-Bhagavatam describes that Bali Maharaja donated to Lord Vamanadeva, like that I will donate Gopal to you. You place your hand under mine and I will donate three times with water and tulasi leaf.”

I called for Brahmin who put tulasi and water in my hand. I said, “First I donate to you Sri Radha Gopal Jiu. Secondly I give you all of Gopal’s paraphernalia. Thirdly I donate the property to you. From tomorrow you will take charge."

Guest guest

Western civilization is a rascal civilization.

I do not take they are civilized even.

No. White aborigines. That's all.

(Morning Walk: January 24, 1977, Bhubaneswar)

Guest guest

Lord Nityänanda Prabhu’s

Ävirbhäva Appearance Day Lecture

--

Bhubaneswar, February 2, 1977

770202NA.BHU

Prabhupäda: So today, the appearance day of Nityänanda Prabhu... Nityänanda Prabhu is Baladeva, Baladeva-tattva.

vrajendra-nandana yei, çacé-suta haila sei,

balaräma haila nitäi

“Who was formerly the son of Nanda Mahäräja, He has appeared as the son of Çacédevi.” Caitanya Mahäprabhu’s mother’s name was Çacédevi. So Kåñëa... Kåñëa is Çré Caitanya Mahäprabhu, and Balaräma is Nityänanda Prabhu. Now...

vrajendra-nandana yei, çacé-suta haila sei,

balaräma haila nitäi

So Balaräma... In the Vedic literature it is said, näyam ätmä bala-hinena labhyaù; na bahunä çrutena. So bala means strength. Sometimes some rascal philosophers, they take it that bala means bodily strength. They propagate this philosophy that “Unless you are bodily stout and strong, you cannot achieve spiritual salvation. You must be very strong and stout and eat meat and fight, and then you’ll get next spiritual birth” No. This bala, this strength, is different. This is spiritual strength.

The difficulty of the present situation is that actually we are moving on account of spiritual strength, but they have no information of the spiritual strength. They are thinking of material strength. That is expressed here, that

ahaìkäre matta hoiyä, nitäi-. päsariyä,

asatyere satya kori mäni

This is due to ahaìkära. Ahaìkära-vimüòhätmä kartäham iti manyate. Those who are vimüòha, especially rascal... Müòha, rascals, and vi means viçeña, viçeñanam, particularly. Ahankara- vimudhätmä. The same thing which is spoken in the Bhagavad- gétä, Narottama däsa Öhäkura says the same thing in a plain Bengali language. Ahaìkäre matta haiyä, nitäi-.... By the spell of mäyä—ahaìkära-vimüòhätmä kartäham iti manyate— they are thinking that “We are independent. We can do whatever we like.” This is called ahaìkära-vimüòhätmä. Under false pretext, false prestige, everyone is thinking that “We are independent. We can find out the solution of the problems of life by material adjustment,” so on, so on. So that is our material disease. Ahaìkära-vimüòhätmä. Bewildered, they do not understand that the real strength is spiritual strength. We see daily, see daily that a very strong man, very powerful man, very good brain, very good scientist... So where is the strength? The strength is ätmä. As soon as the ätmä, or the soul, goes out of this body, so intelligent, so strong, and so many things, that is nothing. That is the difference between dead man and the living man. A living man is very powerful, very good position, everything. As soon as he lies down, he is lying down on the floor, and if you kick him on his face, he’ll not protest. So where is that strength? The strength is gone. That is spiritual strength. On the spiritual strength, the body moves. Suppose you have got a very good car, Mercedes car or Rolls Royce car. But when there is no petrol, how the car will move? It is not possible. There is spirit, petrol spirit. Similarly, real strength is spiritual strength. That spiritual strength is Balaräma. Bala means strength. Therefore we have to take shelter of the lotus feet of Balaräma, guru-tattva.

Balaräma means guru-tattva. Balaräma represents guru. Yasya prasädäd bhagavat-prasädaù. If we want to understand Caitanya Mahäprabhu, if we want to understand Kåñëa, then we must take shelter of Balaräma. Näyam ätmä bala-hinena labhyaù. This bala- hinena labhyaù, this Vedic injunction, means “Without the mercy of Balaräma you cannot understand, you cannot realize your spiritual identification. So that Balaräma comes as Nityänanda Prabhu. Balaräma hailä nitäi. Therefore we must take shelter of Balaräma. That is... This song has been sung by Narottama däsa Öhäkura. Nitäi-.-kamala, koöi-candra-suçétala. If we take shelter of Nityänanda Prabhu, then we get peace. Koöi-candra-suçétala. Just like in daytime, especially in the summer season, we become very much exasperated. But at night, in the evening, as soon as there is moonshine, we become very much satisfied. All day’s labor and fatigue is immediately moved. So nitäi-.-kamala, the shade of Nityänanda Prabhu’s lotus feet, is koöi-candra-suçétala, as pleasing as one crore of moonshine. One moonshine gives us so much pleasure. So if we want actually peace of mind, if we actually want to be free from this material fatiguement, then we must take the shelter of Nityänanda Prabhu. Nityänanda Prabhu is the strength, spiritual strength. And without spiritual strength you cannot approach Kåñëa. Näyam ätmä pravaca... Simply by talking nonsense... Näyam ätmä pravacanena labhyaù. If you are a good speaker, that does not mean you’ll understand, yourself. Na medhayä: “Neither by good brain.” Because you have got very good brain you’ll understand Kåñëa—no. Näyam ätmä pravacanena labhyo na medhayä na bahunä çrutena. If you think that you are a very good scholar, university degree-holder, then you’ll understand—no. This is not possible.

So we must have spiritual strength. That source of spiritual strength is Balaräma, Kåñëa’s next manifestation, prakäça- vigraha. Kåñëa is manifesting Himself through Balaräma. So we have to take shelter of Nityänanda Prabhu.

nitäi-.-kamala, koöi-candra-suçétala,

je chäyäy jagata juräy

The whole world is suffering, but if you want peace, then you take the shelter of Nityänanda Prabhu.

heno nitäi bine bhäi, rädhä-kåñëa päite näi

dhådha kori’ dharo nitäir päy

Our real aim of life—how to go back home back to Godhead and associate with Rädhä Kåñëa. In another song the same author says,

manuñya-janama päiyä, rädhä-kåñëa nä bhajiyä,

jäniyä çuniyä biña khäinu

Unless you come to Rädhä-Kåñëa, you cannot get real pleasure. If you want to dance and get pleasure, don’t dance independently. Dance with Kåñëa. Then you’ll be happy. The dancing is there, but dancing without association of Kåñëa... Just like here, in our temple, we are also eating, but we are eating the remnants of foodstuff left by Kåñëa. That is real pleasure. It is not that we are stopping eating. We are not stopping eating. We are not dry philosophers. Kåñëa baro doyämoy, koribäre jihwä jay, swa-prasäd-anna dilo bhäi. All over the world we are eating Kåñëa prasädam, and we have got good experience. At least ten thousand men and women, they are taking Kåñëa prasädam, but we have no anxiety. We have no anxiety. A family consists of a few members. They are full of anxiety how to maintain the family. And we are maintaining a family of ten thousand men. We have no anxiety. Just see practically. We have no anxiety. We require thousands and thousands of rupees for maintaining Europe, America, a costly affair. But because we are under the shelter of Nityänanda Prabhu, Balaräma, we have no anxiety. That means material life means anxiety. You cannot avoid anxiety if you lead a material life. Then you will be anxious.

That is Prahläda Mahäräja’s instruction. He was asked by his father, “My dear son, what you have learned, the best thing from your teachers?” So he replied, “My dear father...” He never said, “My dear father”; He said, “My dear best of the asuras.” Asura- varya. Tat sädhu manye ’sura-varya dehinäm. Tat sädhu manye ’sura-varya dehinäà sadä samudvigna-dhiyäm asad-grahät. The whole human society is suffering, at least suffering from one disease— anxiety. Ask anybody. Take one small ant and take the big elephant; take the President of United States or take one street beggar. Ask him, “Whether you are free from anxiety?” Nobody will say, “No.” “I am full of anxiety.” That’s a fact. So why they are anxiety, in, full of anxiety? That Prahläda Mahäräja had replied, sadä samudvigna-dhiyäm asad-grahät. Because we have taken asad- vastu, that will not exist...

Everything, whatever you have got... Our, this body will not exist. And this is the main platform of our existence. In the material world, so long the body is there, you exist. So Prahläda Mahäräja said that “Real solution of problems of life is to get out of this material condition. That is best thing in my opinion.” Sada samadvigna-dhiyäm asad... That is Vedic injunction also. Asato mä sad gamaya: “Don’t live in this asat, in this material condition.” Sad gamaya: “Go to real existence.” That real existence means spiritual life. Na hanyate hanyamäne çarére. So if we actually want life, blissful life, then we must get out of this material existence. That is Prahläda Mahäräja’s instruction. Samudvigna-dhiyäm. And if you remain in the material existence, you must suffer some anxiety. There is no excuse.

So Prahläda Mahäräja advises that hitvätma-ghätam gåham andha-küpaà vanam gato yad dharim äçrayeta. If you... Real problem is anxiety. And this anxiety will continue so long you are material existent. Therefore the real life is to get out of this material... Hitvätma-ghätam. Ätma-ghäöam. Ätma-ghätam means killing the soul. This material civilization is killing the soul. That... They have no information of the soul. They do not know how to become peaceful, how to become blissful. They are trying to be peaceful, bahir-artha-mäninaù, by external material energy. They are thinking by constructing big, big buildings, just like in Bhubaneswar they are doing, and having good, very big, big roads and motorcars, that is advancement of civilization. No. That is not advancement of civili... That is increasing their anxiety. There is no solution of the anxiety. There is... Formerly that... I was speaking. There was no university. The university was in the cottage—Vyäsadeva. Vyäsadeva was writing Çrémad-Bhägavatam and all the Puräëas in a cottage. The university was there. Who can produce such literature as Vyäsadeva has given? From any angle of vision, from literary point of view, from philosophical point of view—everything, so perfect, every literature, Mahäbhärata, Puräëas, and Vedänta. Veda-vyäsa, he has given. So there was no need of university. It required clear brain. That was to be done by the brahminical qualifications, çamo damo titikñä ärjava, jïänaà-vijïänam ästikyam brahma-karma svabhäva... Where is that education? This education, technical education, how you can very nicely hammer, this will not solve the problem. So if we want real solution of the problems, then our duty is first of all to take the shelter of nitäi-.-kamala. Then we’ll be happy, and we’ll get moonshine, and our all fatigueness will be subsided.

Sambandha nähi jär, båthä janma gelo tär. So if you have no connection with Nityänanda Prabhu... Nityänanda means always. Nitya means always, änanda means pleasure. This is another meaning you can draw. So therefore, if you have no connection with Nityänanda Prabhu... Se tär: “He’s simply wasting time.” Båthä means useless. Uselessly, he’s wasting time. Se paçu boro duräcär. And Narottama däsa Öhäkura has used very strong word. “Anyone who has no connection with Nityänanda Prabhu, he’s a paçu.” Sei paçu. He’s a paçu, means animal. So animal, how one animal can get happiness? That is not possible. The dog, from the childhood he’s searching after food, searching after food. And cannot get food. Unless a dog has got a master, he’s street dog and he’s always unhappy. So better to become a dog of Nityänanda Prabhu. Then we shall be happy. Instead of becoming dog of so many other people... Everyone is dog. Everyone is searching after to serve a master. But none of them are satisfied because that is false master. You take real master, Nityänanda Prabhu. You’ll be happy. Se paçu boro duräcär. He does not know where is happiness. Where I shall become a dog? That...

Our Bhaktivinoda Öhäkura, he has sung therefore,

vaisnava öhäkur, tomära kukkur,

boliya janaha more

“My dear Vaiñëava Öhäkura, kindly accept me as your dog, as your dog. I am dog already, but I am mäyä’s dog. I’m not Vaiñëava’s dog. So kindly accept me.” If you become a Vaiñëava’s dog... Chäòiyä vaiñëava sevä, nistär päiche kebä. If you do not become a dog of Vaiñëava and Nityänanda Prabhu... Nityänanda is guru. So if you do not become a dog of Nityänanda Prabhu, Vaiñëava, or guru, there is no question of happiness. Se sambandha nähi yär, båthä janma gelo... se paçu boro duräcär. Nitäi nä bolilo mukhe, majilä saàsära-sukhe. He who has no connection with Nityänanda Prabhu, and he does not say, “Jaya Nitäi! Jaya Gaura!” And majilo saàsära-sukhe, he thinks that this society, family, and... “Society, friendship and love, divinely bestowed upon man.” These materialist persons, they say like that. That is called majilo saàsära sukhe. In saàsära there cannot be any sukha, but he’s attracted by that. Majilo saàsära sukhe. Vidyä-kule ki koribe tär. What we’ll do with university education or born in big family or... This will not help. This is not possible. Vidyä-kule ki karibe tär. Why they’re accepting this false? Ahaìkäre matta hoiyä, nitäi-. pasariya, asatyere satya kori mäni. On account of being misled by false prestige and false egotism, asatyere satya kori mäni, we are accepting this body which is asat, which will not exist. That we have taken as reality. Ahaìkare matta hoiya, nitäi . pasariya. But if we take shelter of Nityänanda Prabhu, then you get the enlightenment. Asatyere satya kori mäni. Nitäiyer koruëä habe, braje rädhä-kåñëa pabe, dharo nitäi-caraëa du’khäni.

Therefore Narottama däsa Öhäkura advises that... Today is Nityänanda Prabhu’s ävirbhäva appearance day. Let us at least remember today nitäi-.-kamala. That is wanted. Nitäi caraëa satya, tähära sevaka nitya. The reality is nitäi-caraëa, and anyone who is servant of Nitäi...So nitäiyer caraëa satya, tähära sevaka nitya. One who has become the dog of Nityänanda Prabhu, he gets his eternal life. We are eternal, but under misconception of material identification, we are under the subjugation of mäyä. Bhütvä bhütvä praléyate. Tathä dehäntara... It is very botheration, but they do not know. I am going from one body to another transmigration. And that is not guaranteed, what body. They have no science, no knowledge about understanding tathä dehäntara, the very first instruction of Bhagavad-gétä. They are so rascals, and they are proud of their education, their universities. This is going on.

Nitäi caraëa satya, tähära sevaka..., nitäi-. sadä koro äçä. Therefore we should always expect to be under the shelter of nitäi-.-kamala. Narottama boro duùkhé. Narottama däsa Öhäkura, he’s äcärya. He is presenting himself... That is äcärya. Means he is not duùkhé, but he’s presenting himself as duùkhé. That is äcärya. Äcäryas, they are never duùkhé. But taking the common man’s position, he says, narottama boro duùkhé. Or, in other words, Narottama... Narottama means the best of the human being. So here in this material world one may be the best of the human being, very exalted position, but everyone is duùké, unhappy. Narottama boro duùké, nitäi more koro sukhé: “Only Nityänanda can make me happy. Otherwise not possible.” Rakho raìga-caraëera päça. So today is Nityänanda Prabhu’s appearance day. We shall always pray Nityänanda Prabhu, “Kindly keep me under your shelter so that... I am very duùké; I am very unhappy. Under the shelter of Your lotus feet I shall be happy.” And that is real happiness. Thank you very much.

Devotees: Jaya Çréla Prabhupäda! (end) (this lecture followed by Bengali speech of Nityänanda Kanurgo, former chief minister of Gujarat)

Guest guest

The Last Hope

- by Upananda dasa

On the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the appearance of His Divine Grace Tridandi Promode Puri Maharaja it behooves us to examine the status of institutional practicality in the face of malpractice. In the words of Srila Gour Govinda Maharaja one should cling to the mission of his spiritual master like a leech to the body.

Some time before the disappearance of Srila Gour Govinda Maharaja it was stated by Srila Promode Puri Maharaja that Iskcon was continuing in its status in the world on the strength of the purity of His Holiness Gour Govinda Swami. Now that he has entered Krishna's pastimes that status may still stand if his ideals are upheld but looking at the circumstances at his departure, we pause to rethink.

Consider, dear devotees the pain mentioned again and again by Gour Govinda Swami on the sabotage of tattva, our Gaudiya Vaisnava siddhanta, by men of praise who sat on the GBC and in the absence of Maharaja, who was the GBC for Orissa, voted to stop the preaching of the infallibility of the soul in Vaikuntha. By majority vote the men of lesser realization concluded that the nitya-baddha jiva was first nitya-siddha. This conclusion went against the efforts of Gour Govinda Swami's efforts to establish the conclusion of Jeeva Goswami, Bhaktivinode Thakur and his own spiritual master Srila Bhaktivedanta Swami. It put the issue of Jiva-tattva in jeopardy.

But despite its importance, other tattvas were also being misunderstood, such as Guru-tattva, Shakti-tattva, Gaura-tattva and Nama-tattva.

Gour Govinda fought to establish the shastric concordance of the above truths but when lesser men out-voted him, the tattva became subject to change and therefore untruth. This was the cause of so much pain to Maharaja that he could not tolerate it. But how could he convince those who were obstinate and no doubt in many cases envious. His final diary entry was,

"I have tried to give them the primary (understanding), but they prefer the secondary."

In the Chaitanya Charitamrita Srila Prabhupada had said that the acharya is never appointed but reveals himself by his self-effulgent knowledge and exposition.

Gour Govinda Maharaja was an important bridge for the devotees of Iskcon to come to proper understanding of Krishna Consciousness. If that bridge was crossed no doubt many wonderful things would have taken place. But instead, he became the object of scorn, ridicule and abuse, the results of which are plaguing the movement and will continue to do so unless those who have perpetrated such injustice come to their senses and in a mood of repentance beg for the mercy of the offended and the Supreme Lord.

To force a maha-bhagavat into early departure is inconceivable for a so-called society of devotees, and yet history bears the proof. As Goethe once said, " There is nothing more terrifying than ignorance in action".

Has "Iskcon" now turned 'asara'? Is the present "Iskcon" false and the real Iskcon existing elsewhere? If the society is full of envy and unable to recognize a pure devotee can it claim to be the genuine intention of its founder-acharya?

Srila Prabhupada had stayed with Gour Govinda Swami in Bhubanesvar for 17 days and thrice with his cane thrust into the ground proclaimed, "I leave my mercy here, I leave my mercy here, I leave my mercy here."

Chandrasekar could not recognize Sanatana Goswami outside his house when the Supreme Lord was staying there. But then again he had no occasion to hear from Sanatana.

It is a grave hope that the present leaders of Srila Prabhupada's society will repent for the past actions sincerely enough to work for a new society that would be pleasing to Shree Chaitanya Mahaprabhu before the intelligent class of men left in the society abandon it altogether. Such an action is a possibility but as to whether it will actually take place, time will tell. Perhaps it is too late as eight years have already passed since the departure of Gour Govinda Swami.

May Lord Nityananda and Lord Chaitanya please be merciful to us for as Srila Gour Govinda said before his departure a very dangerous time is coming upon us.

Guest guest

Tridandi Goswami

A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami

Founder-Acharya:

International Society for Krishna Conciousness

CENTER: Krsna-Balarama Mandir

Bhaktivedanta Swami Marg

Ramanreti, Vrndavana, U.P.

DATE: 5th June 1977

DECLARATION OF WILL

I, A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, founder-acarya of the International Society for Krishna consciousness, Settlor of the Bhaktivedanta Book Trust, and disciple of Om Visnupada 108 Sri Srimad Bhaktsiddhanta Sarasvati Gosvama Maharaja Prabhupada, presently residing at Sri Krsna-Balarama Mandir in Vrndavana, make this my last will:

The Governing Body Commission (GBC) will be the ultimate managing authority of the entire International Society for Krishna Consciousness.

Each temple will be an ISKCON property and will be managed by three executive directors. The system of management will continue as it is now and there is no need of any change.

Properties in India will be managed by the following executive directors:

Properties at Sri Mayapur Dhama, Panihati, Haridaspur and Calcutta: Gurukrpa Swami, Jayapataka Swami, Bhavananda Gosvami and Gopal Krsna das Adhikari.

Properties at Vrndavana: Gurukrpa Swami, Akahoyananda Swami, and Gopal Krsna das Adhikari.

Properties at Bombay: Tamala Krsna Gosvami, Giriraj das Brahmahary, and Gopal Krsna das Adhikari.

Properties at Bhubaneswar: Gour Govinda Swami, Jayapataka Swami, and Bhagawat das Brahmachary.

Properties at Hyderbad: Mahamsa Swami, Sridhar Swami, Gopal Krsna das Adhikari and Bali Mardan das Adhikari.

The executive directors who have herein been designated are appointed for life. In the event of death or failure to act for any reason of any of the said directors, a successor director or directors may be appointed by the remaining directors, provided the new director is my initiated disciple following strictly all the rules and regulations of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness as detailed in my books, and provided that there are never less than three (3) or more than five (5) exeutive directors acting at one time.

I have created, developed and organized the International Society for Krishna Consiousness, and as such I hereby will that none of the immovable properties standing in the name of ISKCON in India shall ever be mortgaged, borrowed against, sold, transferred, or in any way encumbered, disposed of, or alienated. This direction is irrevocable.

Properties outside of India in principle should never be mortgaged, borrowed against, sold, transferred or in any way encumbered, disposed of, or alienated, but if the need arises, they may be mortgaged, borrowed against, sold, etc., with the consent of the GBC committee members associated with the particular property.

The properties outside of India and their associated GBC committee members are as follows:

Properties in Chicago, Detroit and Ann Arbor: Jayatirtha das Adhikari.

Properties in Hawaii, Tokyo, Hong Kong: Guru Krpa Swami, Ramesvara Swami and Tamal Krishna Gosvami.

Properties in Melbourne, Sydney, Australia Farm, (unreadable): Guru Krpa Swami, Hari Sauri, and Atreya Rsi.

Properties in England (London Radlett), France, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland and Sweeden: Jayatirtha das Adhikari, Bhagavan das Adhikari, Harikesa Swami.

Properties in Kenya, Mauritius, South Africa: Jayatirtha das Adhikari, Brahmananda Swami and Atreya Rsi)

Properties in Mexico, Venezuala, Brazil, Costa Rica, Peru, Ecquador, Colombia, Chile: Hrdayananda Gosvami, Panca Dravida Swami, Brahmanananda Swami.

Properties in Georgetown, Guyana, Santo Domingo, St. Augustine: Adi Kesava Swami, Hrdayananda Gosvami, Panca Dravida Swami.

Properties in Vanouver, Seattle, Berkeley, Dallas: Satsvarupa Gosvami, Jagidisa das Adikari, Jayatirtha das Adikari.

Properties in Los Angeles, Denver, San Diego, Laguna Beach: Rameswara Swami, Satsvarupa Swami, Adi Kesava Swami.

Properties in New York, Boston, Puerto Rio, Port Royal, St. Louis, St Louis Farm: Tamal Krishna Gosvami, Adi Kesava Swami, Rameswara Swami.

Properties in Iran: Atreya Rsi, Bhagavan das Adhikari, Brahmanananda Swami.

Properties in Washington D.C., Baltimore, Philadelphia, Montreal and (unreadable): Rupanuga das Adhikari, Gopal Krishna das Adhikari, Jagadisa das Adhikari.

Properties in Pittsburg, New Vrndavana, Toronto, Cleveland, Buffalo: Kirtanananda Swami, Atreya Rsi, Balavanta das Adhikari.

Properties in Atlanta, Tennessee Farm, Gainsville, Miami, New Orleans, Mississippi Farm, Houston: Balavanta das Adhikari, Adi Kesava Swami, Rupanuga das Adhikari.

Properties in Fiji: Hari Sauri, Atreya Rsi, Vasudev.

I declare, say and confirm that all the properties, both movable and immovable which stand in my name, including current accounts, savings accounts and fixed deposits in various banks, are the properties and assets of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness, and the heirs and successors of my previous life, or anyone claiming through them, have no right, claim or interest in these properties whatsoever, save and except as provided hereafter.

Although the money which is in my personal name in different banks is being spent for ISKCON and belongs to ISKCON, I have kept a few deposits specifically marked for allocating a monthly allowance of Rs. 1,000/- to the members of my former family (two sons, two daughters, and a wife). After the death of the members of my former family, these specific deposits (corpus, interest, and savings) will become the property of ISKCON for the corpus of the trust, and the descendants of my former family or anybody claiming through them shall not be allowed any further allowance.

I hereby appoint Guru Krpa Swami, Hrdayananda Gosvami, Tamal Krishna Gosvami, Rameswara Swami, Gopal Krsna das Adhikari, Jayatirtha das Adhikari and Giriraj das Brahmachary to act as executors of this will. I have made this will this 4th day of June, 1977, in possession of full senses and sound mind, without any persuasion, force or compulsion from anybody.

Witnesses:

A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami

The above will was signed by Srila Prabhupada and sealed and witnessed by the following:

Tamal Krsna Goswami

Bhagavan das Adhikari

and several other witnesses. (signatures on original document)

Guest guest

The following extracts come from “Krsnalingita-vigraha: One who is always embraced by Krsna” the biography of Srila Gour Govinda Swami:

quote:

--

Rddha Dasa: The first time I came across Gour Govinda Swami was when I was in Vrndavana in 1975 at the opening of the Krsna-Balaram Mandir. I was on my way to South Africa and there were initiations taking place in the courtyard of the Krsna-Balaram Temple, and during that time Srila Prabhupada was giving initiation to many people from all over the world. Most of the devotees who came up and took vows from Srila Prabhupada were just accepting their beads and repeating their vows in front of Srila Prabhupada, and then Gour Govinda dasa was introduced as being someone from Orissa who was a brahmacari who was taking sannyasa.

Then the most astounding thing took place; actually it was set up a little bit by the new devotees that were taking initiation from Srila Prabhupada. Srila Prabhupada had to explain the meaning of initiation. But then when Gour Govinda Maharaja came up, well, he took over the whole show, because he gave a spontaneous speech to Srila Prabhupada on the glories of the guru. Srila Prabhupada went into a sort of trance when he heard this. His offering was quite lengthy and it was all in Sanskrit and Srila Prabhupada was very taken back and was practically crying, and Srila Prabhupada glorified Gour Govinda Maharaj very much. He said this is how to glorify the spiritual master. He was very much taken by the offering of Gour Govinda Maharaj.

Elsewhere:

quote:

--

Prabhupada: We have got one gentleman, professor. He is good learned scholar. I can engage him for translating.

Gopala Krsna: Oriya. Very nice.

Prabhupada: He has writing… That machine… I can see the manuscript. In this way, arrangement make.

Gopala Krsna: Very good. We just printed two books in Oriya, Topmost Yoga and one more. One more.

Prabhupada: He likes Oriya language.

Gopala Krsna: Who? Gour Govinda Swami? He is very sincere devotee.

Prabhupada: Oh, yes, undoubtedly.

Gopala Krsna: Very sincere.

Prabhupada: Krsna sent him. He… In Vrindavana, he said that “Please give me shelter.” I thought that “There are so many Indian comes and go.” So when he insisted, “All right, you stay.”

Harisauri: Yeah. He took sannyasa at the opening of the temple. I remember that.

Prabhupada: He’s a good boy.

Harisauri: He’s stuck it out for a long time in Orissa. He’s been there a long time, by himself a lot of time too.

Prabhupada: Yes. Yes. He’s organizing nicely.

Gopala Krsna: He’s very sincere. He follows all the regulations very rigidly. He gets up in the morning, ideal example.

Jagadisa: He understands the philosophy quite well.

Prabhupada: Oh, yes. And he is educated. He is B.Sc. He knows Hindi also.

Gopala Krsna: He worked on Hindi translation for some time.

Guest guest

Dear Devotees , pamho

please can you help me I am looking for a very nice vaisnav named DR.K. Brahma an ayurvedic kaviraj who gave me at the year 2000 treatment in Puri. My name is Krishna shakti das and I would be very happy to get in contact with this unique devotee

who was at that time also GBC or deputy for ISKCON in Puri.

As far as I know is his praxis in Cuttack....but I am not sure.

But I think he wrote some of these nectar scripts underneath

So please if you know anything about how to contact this beloved soul of Shree Krishna let me know.

Ys Krishna shakti das --Germany Regensburg --e-mail: shaktiman64@web.de