IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
I_love_krishna_

Self situated

Rate this topic

I can't find the exact place but i am going to use Ghari's postings ...

[METHOD 1] Just fix your mind upon Me, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, and engage all your intelligence in Me. Thus you will live in Me always, without a doubt.

My dear Arjuna, O winner of wealth, if you cannot fix your mind upon Me without deviation, then [METHOD 2] follow the regulative principles of bhakti-yoga. In this way develop a desire to attain Me.

If you cannot practice the regulations of bhakti-yoga, then just try to [METHOD 3] work for Me, because by working for Me you will come to the perfect stage.

If, however, you are unable to work in this consciousness of Me, then try to [METHOD 4] act giving up all results of your work and try to be self-situated.

If you cannot take to this practice, then [METHOD 7] engage yourself in the cultivation of knowledge. Better than knowledge, however, is [METHOD 6] meditation, and better than meditation is [METHOD 5] renunciation of the fruits of action, for by such renunciation one can attain peace of mind.

Thanks Ghari, I hope you don't mind /images/graemlins/grin.gif

and thanks living entity, please clear this up /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Guest guest

self-situated..... atmarama

his life and attention (concentration, consciousness) is not in the external object of the senses, but in the realization that comes from the intimate (=internal) consciousness of beeing a spiritual soul

complete in himself

(of course impersonalists do have a TOO easy explication....: he has rediscovered his GOD nature)

BGAII; Chapter 12; verse 11:

If, however, you are unable to work in this consciousness, then try to act giving up all results of your work and try to be self-situated.

PURPORT

It may be that one is unable to even sympathize with the activities of Krsna consciousness because of social, familial or religious considerations or because of some other impediments. If one attaches himself directly to the activities of Krsna consciousness, there may be objections from family members, or so many other difficulties. For one who has such a problem, it is advised that he sacrifice the accumulated result of his activities to some good cause. Such procedures are described in the Vedic rules. There are many descriptions of sacrifices and special functions of pumundi, or special work in which the result of one's previous action may be applied. Thus one may gradually become elevated to the state of knowledge. It is also found that when one who is not even interested in the activities of Krsna consciousness gives charity to some hospital or some other social institution, he gives up the hard-earned results of his activities. That is also recommended here because by the practice of giving up the fruits of one's activities one is sure to purify his mind gradually, and in that purified stage of mind one becomes able to understand Krsna consciousness. Of course Krsna consciousness is not dependent on any other experience because Krsna consciousness itself can purify one's mind, but if there are impediments to Krsna consciousness, one may try to give up the result of his action. In that respect, social service, community service, national service, sacrifice for one's country, etc., may be accepted so that some day one may come to the stage of pure devotional service to the Supreme Lord. In Bhagavad-gita we find it is stated, yatah pravrttir bhãtanam: if one decides to sacrifice for the supreme cause, even if he does not know that the supreme cause is Krsna, he will come gradually to understand that Krsna is the supreme cause by the sacrificial method.

Guest guest

the emphasis is on the "positive" side

beeing self satisfacted he is not attached to (or attracted by) external material things

this state is achieved by changing the object of our attachments (i.e. attaching ourselves to krsna, spiritual master, devotees etc.), not removing (or frustrating) them... because it is not possible

Guest guest

both are good, depending on our inclinations (guna and karma) and the advice of our spiritual master (who know us better than us)

Rather odd. The Sanskrit translated as "self-situated" is yatAtmavAn, or yata ("controlled") AtmavAn "possessing self"

So the idea is "possessing self control."

So what do other commentaries say?

Gaudiya Math:

B.R.Sridhar: "controlling your mind."

Narayan Maharaj: "with a controlled mind"

BV Tripurari: "with self-restraint."

Other sampradayas:

Tapasyananda:

Kripananda (Jnaneshwari): "act with self restraint"

Gandhi: with mind controlled

Sivananda: self-controlled

Scholars: