IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
livingentity

Samskara-dipika Question..

Rate this topic

In the Samskara-dipika - Srila Gopala Bhatta Gosvami says, "Vaisnavas are of two kinds, ordinary and Sampradayika (belonging to a bona fide sampradaya). The ordinary (or tankrika) Vaisnavas are those who have not taken initiation from a guru in a bona fide parampara-system."

My question - does this mean that ordinary Vaisnavas are those that are not initiated at all or are they Vaisnavas that are initiated but not by a bona fide sampradaya? Mayavadi?

Samskara Dipika, though sometimes attributed to Gopala Bhatta Gosvami, is very likely the work of another Gopala Bhatta or someone who wrote his work in the name of GBG.

I would be very curious to see the Sanskrit of the passage you refer to, along with the context.

However, my guess is it refers to Vaishnavas whom we might not regard orthodox in their doctrines. It is not very likely that it refers to uninitiated persons who are following the sat-sampradaya.

There is no sanskrit reference in the copy that I have. It is under the heading of the introduction - however, looking more closely at this - it does not really indicate who wrote this portion of the book. The paragraph that it is in just goes on to talk about the two types of householders and then the two types of Sannyasis. Not much elaboration on either.

I came to much the same conclusion that you did on this statement but wanted to ask about it because I was not certain I was reading it correctly.

Thank you Raga.