IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

The Soft Word

Rate this topic

Guest guest

The Soft Word

The speech of enlightened men consists of truth soaked in affection.

Gentleness of speech is not pleasant falsehood, but the truth that is spoken by men who know the whole of the law and are not misled by dogmas.

Who are full of affection for the person to whom the truth is addressed, and therefore find the words that save truth from harshness.

The kindly word and the glad and loving look accompanying a gift, are appreciated even more than the gift itself.

To give is good. But the sweet manner accompanying the gift, touches the heart of the receiver even more than the good gift itself.

The relief of distress consists in the glad face, the welcome look, and speech that is marked by genuine consideration for the feelings of the man who is in distress.

One need not fear poverty if he has gladdened the hearts of men by kind words.

The world will not leave such a man to suffer by reason of adversity.

Not jewels, but courteous deportment and gladness of speech, are the things that adorn.

Truly it is strange, that people speak harsh words, when they have, themselves, felt and experienced the joy that kindly speech begets.

Every moment we have direct personal experience of the marvellous effect of kind words from others, and yet, when we speak, we forget it and can indulge in harsh speech.

When gentle words are available, why do men choose the words that hurt? Is it not foolish to pick unripe berries, when ripe ones can be had for the plucking?

Actually, the term sadhu means "one who cuts". The words of a sadhu are sometimes very cutting and difficult to hear.

In the Gita, Lord Krishna starts his instructions by essentially calling Arjuna a fool. (while speaking learned words, you are lamenting for that what is not worthy of grief).

A sadhu does not come to charm or sweet talk. His purpose is to speak the truth whiich is always difficult to hear for the materially attached.

So, in effect I don't agree with the supposition of the opening post of this thread.

Yes, but one thing to consider is that previous to Krsna speaking like that to Arjuna, Arjuna had surrendered to Krsna and asked for His instruction. See Bg 2.7

Its not that we just assume license to go around cutting people up with words. We must be careful here.

In my view:

Krishna is always sweet, He doesn't say " Hey Arjun, You are a fooL!, hahahaha! what a loser!"

or he doesn't say " Yo! idiot! get up! and start fighting or your gonna die!"

He says.. " Even though your words are of the wise, you speak foolishly..."

He keeps mentioning arjuna as a very learned man... even though arjuna's intelligence does not compare to krishna's own intelligence.

And you see, it is by the very fact of life that the sweetness in words melts the hearts of the hearer.

Chaitanya and meera bai and all these guys don't use harsh words, but they use kind and gentle words... to explain themselves.

Then again, you can say .. like shakuni..(A character in mahabharat , who uses sweet words to sweet talk people and then cheats on them) .... well you can't be like that guy... but if you are a devotee, it is better to say " Here dear, take this prasadham" than to say " Hey!, want to take this prasadham or not?" .

Well, in my view , not talking sweetly will lead to misunderstanding and false ego.. .

but thats just me...

Guest guest

<<When gentle words are available, why do men choose the words that hurt? Is it not foolish to pick unripe berries, when ripe ones can be had for the plucking?>>

look at the pandavas.

they were kshatriyas.

of them only yodhisthir was able to use soft words.

bhima on the other hand would speak hism mid with all the anger that is rightly due to the enemy.

it is very difficult to speak soft words and fight.

(to become an antagonist is not good.)

still it is possible and good to do.

worth practicing.

jai sri krishna!

How one presents Krishna consciousness to others depends on the individual concerned. One would not go to a prison and preach to criminals, rapists and murderers the same way he would talk to a teen-age school girl. Little girls and boys would be talked to differently than one would preach to a hardened criminal or say a soldier or military man.

In this forum there are little girls and grown-up men who have lived hard lives and done military time. There will of course be different moods and mentalities to contend with.

You should not expect a 50 year old man who has lived a hard life and raised three children alone to feel the same way as some 17 year old girl who is still living with her parents. Don't expect everyone to see things from the eyes of a school girl. Many of us see things through the eyes of skepticism, caution and suspicion. Not everyone is a naive, gullible teen-ager who has lived a shelterd life.

I know all about naive, gullible teen-agers as I am raising two of them along with a nine year old. However, I am trying to teach them to be aware and conscious that there is a lot of evil in the world and they can't just go through life trusting everybody and being naive and gullible.

Guest guest

A person who can see the soul as part and parcil of Sri Krishna is qualified to speak. He \She will speak to the soul and the soul will respond.

The problem begins when people have preconcieved I deas about how to speak krishna consciousness. Their need to modify and adjust to suit the person the are speaking to.

For example I hear aspiring devotes and even 30 year aspiring devotees speak in broken english when talking to and Indian, mexican, chineses or whatever and the person is thinking why is he or she doing that. Its so condescending.

My advice is to not see the body -see the soul and talk to Him\Her. Tell them about Krishna. They will thank you for it.

Haribol !

Sathyam - Speak the Truth , when its necessary

Itham - Speak when its really worth for someone , if its not going to help/ benefit someone dont even speak that.

Priyam - When you know you have to tell the truth but the hearing person will be affected , say it softly, priyam.

I have heared this in one of the Bhagwat Gita Lectures.

Madhava Kesava Madhana Gopala !

Srivats

Guest guest

Sundaram: If you speak satyam with Priyam then it turns into Sundaram.

Sundaram=Sanskrit=Beautiful.

Guest guest

Teenagers are not really gullible, they know alot of things, and the tvs today are not really what they used to be either.